Corrupted Config File After WU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrupted Config File After WU

For the fourth time in the last year, I've come home and realized that my home automation is not working. Each time, it's because my HS3 appliance has restarted due to a windows update and I need to log back into Windows.

Aside from being annoying, it's not a huge deal - but what is a big deal is that several of those times when I've rebooted homeseer, 600 of my 700 devices are gone, and the log says the config file is corrupted. When that happens I've needed to restore from backups.

This is now common enough that I'm super paranoid - anyone else have similar issues? Can I provide the corrupted config so maybe HS folks can debug what's going on and address it?

+1. I've had to restore from backups twice this month. HS should implement some sort of atomic config file update such that partial updates are impossible.

Comment

I used to see this occasionally years ago, but have not had a corrupted file in at least 3 years (knock on wood). I had some hard system crashes in the past year due to a hardware driver issue on W7, but the system restarted each time with no issues. I have disabled automatic W7 updates as well. My HS system now has an SSD and thinking that may have helped with this issue.
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        My HS system now has an SSD and thinking that may have helped with this issue.
        Mine has an SSD too. Still get corruption often, mainly with Insteon config.

Comment

Any update folks? It's happened to me every month for the last four months and just now again today. My wife is ready to kill me. Every month my home automation simply stops working and then I go and find my machine rebooted from a WU and my HS3 with a corrupt configuration file. This is super aggravating.

Comment

Originally posted by larrywal32 View Post
            Any update folks? It's happened to me every month for the last four months and just now again today. My wife is ready to kill me. Every month my home automation simply stops working and then I go and find my machine rebooted from a WU and my HS3 with a corrupt configuration file. This is super aggravating.
            Turn off automatic updates.

Comment

Agree with sparkman and drhtmal. If you think this occurs with the monthly Microsoft updates, manage the updates manually.

Comment

Thanks folks - so....dumb question. How do I manage the updates manually? I have them paused, but I can't see how to prevent them from installing after 35 days. The Hometroller I have is running Windows Home.

At the very least, is there a way to get a notification (through Homeseer or otherwise) when it has downloaded an update it needs to install? This thing is running in a closet....I can't believe other people who purchased a Hometroller don't have this problem too...

Comment

How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

Comment

Consider adjusting your system to auto-start HomeSeer as well. I'm using the task-scheduler method myself on a headless NUC that I can control remote via RDP if needed. You should always configure your home automation controller to be able to survive power outages or other unexpected conditions. Ideally it auto-notifies you on a restart, so that you can verify that hardware is not drying (SMART errors for storage for example).

BlackFriday is around the corner, consider investing in a UPS as well for the internet/network equipment, HomeSeer controller and possibly a few LED lights that can turn on to become emergency lights. For full emergency preparedness (went overboard myself after Hurricane Sandy knocked out my power for over 2-weeks) you can also consider these (or alike): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018UQG9O6/ which act as always-charged portable flashlights, nightlights, motion lights, and power-outage lights.

Comment

Thanks folks - so....dumb question. How do I manage the updates manually? I have them paused, but I can't see how to prevent them from installing after 35 days. The Hometroller I have is running Windows Home.

At the very least, is there a way to get a notification (through Homeseer or otherwise) when it has downloaded an update it needs to install? This thing is running in a closet....I can't believe other people who purchased a Hometroller don't have this problem too...
                      You are halfway there by pausing - my idea is to manually perform the updates rather than have it automatically restart itself. PITA to have to manage this way but at least it avoids unexpected reboots.

Comment

Thanks folks. Baudi - setting as a metered network is a good idea.

RoChess - could you post more information as to specifically what settings you've used for auto start and task scheduler, also how you are using RDP? I have Homeseer starting on startup, although currently Windows blocks startup with a password for logon; still not sure how you're using RDP.

I'm really confused - if this corruption is clearly so prevalent, how can Homeseer sell their Hometroller appliances without everyone running into this?

Comment

Thanks folks. Baudi - setting as a metered network is a good idea.

RoChess - could you post more information as to specifically what settings you've used for auto start and task scheduler, also how you are using RDP? I have Homeseer starting on startup, although currently Windows blocks startup with a password for logon; still not sure how you're using RDP.

I'm really confused - if this corruption is clearly so prevalent, how can Homeseer sell their Hometroller appliances without everyone running into this?
                          If you have purchased a recent HomeTroller the Windows updates should be disabled as delivered. If this isn't the case you should put in a help desk ticket.
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Bought it about 18 months ago - is that something that would warrant a ticket? How would HS have disabled it? Either way, though, wouldn't completing disabling be risky if I have it connected to myhs?

Comment

could you post more information as to specifically what settings
                              I'm using a Gigabyte BRIX with Win10 Pro running HomeSeer without monitor, keyboard, or mouse connected. The HomeTroller info you added afterwards might change things, but then as suggested by others contact HomeSeer.

Windows can be configured to auto-login via 'netplw' or use: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...oads/autologon

To get HomeSeer to auto-launch, you can then place shortcut in startup folder, but then you either need to use disable UAC, adjust permissions, or rely on a tool to delay launch.

I'm relying on the Task Scheduler method myself @ https://youtu.be/n6mmLKPrmXU

Only difference is that I've also activated the "Run with highest privilege" to avoid UAC issues.

This launches HomeSeer as a background task without visual feedback that it is running, but you can see it running fine in Task Manager, and it will remain running even if you log the user out, or lock it.

As for RDP, I didn't do anything special and just activated it. If you want concurrent RDP access then look for awesome tool called RDPWrap on GitHub, but I specifically want to reclaim primary console access so didn't use it.

Only times I rely on RDP is to apply OS changes, or to manually install HomeSeer plugins/scripts. Custom device images I've made easier on myself by sharing that folder with write permission so on my workstation I can go-to "\\HOMESEER\Z-Wave Device Pics" which links to the corresponding folder inside html\images on HS3.

To activate basic RDP per Microsoft guide:

By default, Remote Desktop for Administration is disabled. To enable it, follow these steps:
                              1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click System.
                              2. Click the Remote tab, click to select the Allow users to connect remotely to your computer check box, and then click OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X