Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead controller. Can I re-use any of my Z-wave devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead controller. Can I re-use any of my Z-wave devices?

I had a z-wave controller fail on me recently and I was in the process of setting up the new controller that I just purchased but I'm having a heck of time getting any of my devices to enroll with the new controller. I read in another post that you have to un-enroll your devices from any previous controllers before you can use them with another. Is this true? Then this means if you're in a situation like mine, you can no longer re-use any z-wave devices if you have a controller that's inaccessable to un-enrol devices?

Originally posted by Deadeye View Post
    I had a z-wave controller fail on me recently and I was in the process of setting up the new controller that I just purchased but I'm having a heck of time getting any of my devices to enroll with the new controller. I read in another post that you have to un-enroll your devices from any previous controllers before you can use them with another. Is this true? Then this means if you're in a situation like mine, you can no longer re-use any z-wave devices if you have a controller that's inaccessable to un-enrol devices?
    You will have to Exclude your devices from the old controller before they will join (include) into the new controller (network). Depending on how many devices you have and how far away they are this may get tricky.

Try starting with the farthest device and see if you can exclude it. If not come closer to the controller and try another device. Keep working your way in towards the controller until you get a device that will exclude. Then you know the reach of the controller to the devices. You can then go around excluding all of those devices and including them into the new network if you want.

Once you have those closer devices included into the network you can now try those farthest devices. You should have a good network by this point so the Network Wide Exclusion should work. After the remaining devices are excluded then include them into the new network.

Comment

Ha, I just saw this after I replied to your other message on my previous post.
      I did notice that I had to bring them closer to the controller, so I've just been moving each one to exclude it and re-enroll it. It's easy as all I have at the moment are plug in light modules (will be moving to locks and light switches when I finally get the hang of HS3 Pro). Also found out one of my light modules wasn't working. Won't be buying from that supplier again.

Comment

Glad things are working out for you. It is a PITA when a controller dies though....

Comment

With Z-wave? No kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by Deadeye View Post
            If it was an HS controller, all you need to do is restore from the Z-wave backup file. It will reassign the old Z-wave ID to the new controller so the devices will still be able to communicate with it. If not an HS controller, not sure if there's a backup or not.

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
              If it was an HS controller, all you need to do is restore from the Z-wave backup file. It will reassign the old Z-wave ID to the new controller so the devices will still be able to communicate with it. If not an HS controller, not sure if there's a backup or not.
              Will it backup automatically? My old one was a Wayne-Dalton WDUSB-10R, so it wasn't exactly a HS controller, but my new one is. I've already blown away all the old profiles, so I can't go back now, but it would be good to know for the future.

Comment

Working...
              X