X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
    This is pointing to a driver issue. In the device manager, expand the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' section and try plugging/unplugging. See if anything shows up. Looking for something like 'Other Device', with a triangle exclamation point icon if memory serves.
    OK, as usual, my computer has made a liar out of me. I was unplugging the PLM from the wall outlet. I always thought that was the same as unplugging it from the USB. Apparently not. I tried unplugging from the USB, and "USB Serial Port COM3" disappeared.

Leave a comment:

• zwolfpack
    replied
    This is pointing to a driver issue. In the device manager, expand the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' section and try plugging/unplugging. See if anything shows up. Looking for something like 'Other Device', with a triangle exclamation point icon if memory serves.

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
    The exact COM number isn't going to be maintained from one Windows install to the next. COM ports are assigned sequentially. The question is, does any COM port appear/disappear when your USB device is plugged/unplugged ... ?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• zwolfpack
    replied
    The exact COM number isn't going to be maintained from one Windows install to the next. COM ports are assigned sequentially. The question is, does any COM port appear/disappear when your USB device is plugged/unplugged ... ?

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    No COM4 in Device Manager.

Leave a comment:

• zwolfpack
    replied
    Open Windows Device Manager, expand 'Ports (COM & LPT)'. What do you see?

When you plugin/remove the device, the applicable COM port should appear/disappear in this view.

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    As usual, I spoke too soon. I thought I was up and running because I didn't see any errors in the startup, but the Insteon plugin still does not find the COM4.

And I'm consistently getting the following when I run the FTDI setup.exe:

So....any suggestions? Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-07-26 130819.png
Views:	539
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1317941

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
    OK, I am almost there. I just need to remember how to overcome this:

7/26/2019 12:19:13 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Error: Could not open COM4 - The port 'COM4' does not exist.

I vaguely remember having to run some kind of patch on the COM port driver, can someone point me to the proper thread? Thanks.
    Never mind, found it here. Ran the executable version, got an error, slapped my forehead for not stopping HS3 first, ran it again, voila. I have a perfect COM4 patched by an FTDIChip driver. I have no clue what that means, but I am UP AND RUNNING!

Thanks for your patience. I had to take this step by step, because this is a zero-fail mission. It HAS to work. Thank goodness, it does.

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    OK, I am almost there. I just need to remember how to overcome this:

7/26/2019 12:19:13 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Error: Could not open COM4 - The port 'COM4' does not exist.

I vaguely remember having to run some kind of patch on the COM port driver, can someone point me to the proper thread? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    This how to is really old.
    Which reminds me, and I'll start this in a different forum, but...the one thing HomeSeer is really lacking is robust documentation, in a consistent location and kept up-to-date. I only mention this because I am a professional writer, I have written documentation for more complex platforms, and I hereby offer my services. [gulp] That's a year out of my life..Oh well....

Leave a comment:

• tome10
    replied
    Rupp, so you can't just copy the entire HS3 directory from the old controller (Hometroller) to the (Win10 Laptop in my case)? I'm guessing people have tried that and didn't go well huh?

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    (Looks like not...)

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    This how to is really old. The best path is to first install HS3 on W10 and get it up and running. Then load and license your plugins, lastly load your config and Z-Wave backup files. Below are links to the backup and restore documentation. You will want to create the Z-Wave backup first, then the Config backup, which will store the Z-Wave backups within.

https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...backup-restore
    OK, what about insteon if we don't use Z-Wave? Same thing?

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    You're right, no *.lf files.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    This how to is really old. The best path is to first install HS3 on W10 and get it up and running. Then load and license your plugins, lastly load your config and Z-Wave backup files. Below are links to the backup and restore documentation. You will want to create the Z-Wave backup first, then the Config backup, which will store the Z-Wave backups within.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X