Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring to new computer

Hi all,

I had to suck it up and upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I had to do the full install, not the upgrade, and had to sacrifice my old failing drive in favor of a new SSD. So I lost my HomeSeer installation. Luckily, I saved the old drive and it is loaded as my F: drive.

So...anything special I need to know about transferring to a new system? I have downloaded the latest installer from Homeseer.com, and I ran it. I plan to just copy the old subfolders underneath \HS3\, overwriting everything. In the words of Peggy Lee, Is That All There Is?

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

(Yay! 500 Posts! I made Seer Master!)

Jim Speiser
    Still don't know squat

Comment

There's a sticky on how to do this, and it appeared slightly complicated. I need to do this as well. I'll see if I can find that.

Comment

It was a sticky alright, I couldn't find it anywhere.. I found it stuck on my Favorites Bar. ;-/

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...or-hometroller

Comment

I read through that again, it sounds like a can of worms. I kinda think i'm going to have to be quite toasted to open that can. You go first lol.

Comment

Yeah, thanks a lot...

Jim Speiser
            Still don't know squat

Comment

This how to is really old. The best path is to first install HS3 on W10 and get it up and running. Then load and license your plugins, lastly load your config and Z-Wave backup files. Below are links to the backup and restore documentation. You will want to create the Z-Wave backup first, then the Config backup, which will store the Z-Wave backups within.

https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...backup-restore
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You're right, no *.lf files.

Jim Speiser
                Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  This how to is really old. The best path is to first install HS3 on W10 and get it up and running. Then load and license your plugins, lastly load your config and Z-Wave backup files. Below are links to the backup and restore documentation. You will want to create the Z-Wave backup first, then the Config backup, which will store the Z-Wave backups within.

OK, what about insteon if we don't use Z-Wave? Same thing?

Jim Speiser
                  Still don't know squat

Comment

(Looks like not...)

Jim Speiser
                    Still don't know squat

Comment

Rupp, so you can't just copy the entire HS3 directory from the old controller (Hometroller) to the (Win10 Laptop in my case)? I'm guessing people have tried that and didn't go well huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        This how to is really old.
                        Which reminds me, and I'll start this in a different forum, but...the one thing HomeSeer is really lacking is robust documentation, in a consistent location and kept up-to-date. I only mention this because I am a professional writer, I have written documentation for more complex platforms, and I hereby offer my services. [gulp] That's a year out of my life..Oh well....

Jim Speiser
                        Still don't know squat

Comment

OK, I am almost there. I just need to remember how to overcome this:

7/26/2019 12:19:13 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Error: Could not open COM4 - The port 'COM4' does not exist.

I vaguely remember having to run some kind of patch on the COM port driver, can someone point me to the proper thread? Thanks.

Jim Speiser
                          Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
                            OK, I am almost there. I just need to remember how to overcome this:

7/26/2019 12:19:13 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Error: Could not open COM4 - The port 'COM4' does not exist.

I vaguely remember having to run some kind of patch on the COM port driver, can someone point me to the proper thread? Thanks.
                            Never mind, found it here. Ran the executable version, got an error, slapped my forehead for not stopping HS3 first, ran it again, voila. I have a perfect COM4 patched by an FTDIChip driver. I have no clue what that means, but I am UP AND RUNNING!

Thanks for your patience. I had to take this step by step, because this is a zero-fail mission. It HAS to work. Thank goodness, it does.

Jim Speiser
                            Still don't know squat

Comment

As usual, I spoke too soon. I thought I was up and running because I didn't see any errors in the startup, but the Insteon plugin still does not find the COM4.

And I'm consistently getting the following when I run the FTDI setup.exe:

So....any suggestions? Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-07-26 130819.png
Views:	538
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1317941

Jim Speiser
                              Still don't know squat

Comment

Working...
                              X