No announcement yet.

Transferring to new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Windows Device Manager, expand 'Ports (COM & LPT)'. What do you see?

When you plugin/remove the device, the applicable COM port should appear/disappear in this view.

Comment

No COM4 in Device Manager.

Jim Speiser
      38-year veteran of Home Automation
      Still don't know squat

Comment

The exact COM number isn't going to be maintained from one Windows install to the next. COM ports are assigned sequentially. The question is, does any COM port appear/disappear when your USB device is plugged/unplugged ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
          The exact COM number isn't going to be maintained from one Windows install to the next. COM ports are assigned sequentially. The question is, does any COM port appear/disappear when your USB device is plugged/unplugged ... ?
          No.

Jim Speiser
          Still don't know squat

Comment

This is pointing to a driver issue. In the device manager, expand the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' section and try plugging/unplugging. See if anything shows up. Looking for something like 'Other Device', with a triangle exclamation point icon if memory serves.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
              This is pointing to a driver issue. In the device manager, expand the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' section and try plugging/unplugging. See if anything shows up. Looking for something like 'Other Device', with a triangle exclamation point icon if memory serves.
              OK, as usual, my computer has made a liar out of me. I was unplugging the PLM from the wall outlet. I always thought that was the same as unplugging it from the USB. Apparently not. I tried unplugging from the USB, and "USB Serial Port COM3" disappeared.

Jim Speiser
              Still don't know squat

Comment

OK, so now change your plugin to point to COM3 and all should be good with the world!

Comment

Ah, would that it were that easy. My friend, apparently you are unfamiliar with my domicile, The Nightmare On Alpine Heights. Why, just today, I've had a printer reconfigure itself to use a public domain IP address (and work!), a taskbar moved itself to the other side of the screen...but I digress...

I get no errors in startup, but on the plug-in manager, the Insteon plug-in is still saying "WARNING: Please check the interface and enter the interface port information and restart HS." (In a lovely shade of amber, no less). And yes, I did change the port number in the insteon.ini file and on the insteon management page. Is there somewhere I'm missing?

Jim Speiser
                  Still don't know squat

Comment

Not an Insteon user, but do have Vista by same author. There, the COM port assignment is on the Manage Plugins page.

Comment

With the Insteon, it's on the Plug-Ins -> Insteon -> Configure page.

Jim Speiser
                      Still don't know squat

Comment

Back at it today...so I changed everything I could think of to COM3...do I need to rerun that FTDI Chip thingamajig?

Jim Speiser
                        Still don't know squat

Comment

Maybe plug it into a different USB port and you'll get back to com4 lol. Seriously though, maybe this is a com setup thing where you need to match parity bits or baud rate.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                            Maybe plug it into a different USB port and you'll get back to com4 lol. Seriously though, maybe this is a com setup thing where you need to match parity bits or baud rate.
                            OK, now you're taking me back 20 years. Maybe I should install an MFM drive while I'm at it! I still remember how to format them - g=c:500!

[sigh] OK, here we go...

Here's a couple of properties screens for the COM3...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	USB Serial Port COM3 Properties 2.png
Views:	223
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1318095Click image for larger version

Name:	USB Serial Port COM4 Properties 5.png
Views:	260
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1318096Click image for larger version

Name:	USB Serial Port COM3 Properties 3.png
Views:	213
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1318097

Looks like the FTDI driver is already resident, which would explain why the FTDI setup program tells me it won't run, because the driver I have already is better.

So what am I supposed to match these settings to?

Jim Speiser
                            Still don't know squat

Comment

Just realized, I'm probably posting in the wrong forum. This stuff needs to go to Sir Mark of Insteon.

Jim Speiser
                              Still don't know squat

Comment

Screenshots show it as COM3 .... change to COM3 in the Insteon plugin and restart.

Comment

Working...
                                X