How do you handle Windows updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you handle Windows updates?

How do Windows users handle Windows 10 updates?
    What I mean is that Windows updates often take a long time to complete and I can’t afford to be without Homeseer for hours.

Any ideas?

There's not much to be done if you want Windows to be up to date.
    What I do is allow Windows to download the updates, but only to notify me when they're ready so I can install them at a convenient, and planned, time after I've shutdown Homeseer properly.
    If you allow Windows to update itself automatically, more often than not it'll restart your computer, and in the process shut down Homeseer rather abruptly, which can damage the database and cause unexpected problems.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Thanks, I agree with you.
      I only wish we were allowed to bring Homeseer up on another PC while the upgrade was doing its thing. Sadly we're not allowed.

Comment

I haven't had an update take longer than a few minutes to install in quite a while. Are you downloading in the background before starting the install? Are you short of disk space? Which update took hours?
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yes, we're downloading before starting the install. I agree, not all updates take a long time but the feature updates can and have taken hours. I have feature update version 1903 waiting to be installed. It might take hours.
          What I'd like to do is to take Homeseer down and run it on another PC while I go through the update. Sadly we're not allowed to do that so I was wondering what other solutions people have.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have any ideas for you. I've always just shut down HS and installed the update. I have HS set to auto-start when the computer starts, so HS resumes when the update is finished. The time required has never been an issue for me.
            (I understand your concern, though. I have had machines, especially ones converted to Win10, that have choked on an update and needed to be resuscitated. That can take hours. It hasn't happened to my HS machine, fortunately, but it's always in the back of my mind. I do my best to do OS updates when I have time to address any a major problems that arise. )
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

My system is set to do updates after hours. I don't do anything special for shutting down homeseer. Didn't know you should. Never been an issue for me but I also do regular backups.

Comment

FWIW, I just updated one of my PCs to 1903. It originally came with 8.1. (Converted to 10, then did a clean Win10 install to replace the converted OS.)
                The update to 1903 (from 1803) took just about an hour. No problems.

Comment

Working...
                X