HS3 & HS3pi remote backup broken .500 & up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 & HS3pi remote backup broken .500 & up

Ever since the .500 release, when I try to backup a system remotely, the system times out after 4 minutes & the backup fails. I've noticed that the backup file size has increased from 2 to 3 MB to 20 to 30MB on the few systems that I am able to backup locally, so I would guess that is a component of the issue. I opened up a trouble ticket, but they said the engineers are busy with other projects & gave no timeline for a solution. Not exactly impressive dealer support. I have quite a few systems out in the wild that I can no longer backup because of this issue. Does anyone know of a workaround besides periodically flying all over the country in order to make backups?

If there's nothing that can currently be done, would somebody potentially be interested in developing a plugin for this? I wouldn't have a problem with paying a reasonable amount of money for said plugin in order to have peace of mind. I'd also be willing to assist with testing. I'm just not a developer, so this is a bit above me at the moment.

Thanks

How are you doing these remote backups? A little more info on exactly what you are doing would be helpful for troubleshooting.

Have you looked at the HomeSeer directory structure to see if there are any really large files that are being backed up?

Comment

I'm just trying to use the built in backup feature in the Setup menu, nothing special. Previous to the .500 update, the feature worked consistently via remote connections. As I said in the previous post, the backup file size increased substantially after the update. I'm thinking if there was a way to increase the timeout period, that might help, but not sure. Not all of the remote systems are connected to very fast internet, as some of them are in rural areas. Another possibility might be if I could create an event where the system could email the backup files to me, or to upload them to a cloud based drive where I could retrieve them. The best solution for me, though, would be if the existing feature started working again.

I frequently login to the systems in order to make improvements, so I need to be able to backup my work in case of a hardware failure.

I linked a shot of the device list on my "guinea pig" system. The events list is much bigger. The systems are primarily setup to control conditions in glass rooms, so operating motorized windows, blinds, HVAC systems, irrigation, hydroponics; based on room & weather conditions, etc.

To have this amount of work floating out there with no way to back it up is a problem.

As a dealer, I thought I might get some factory support, but they only said they'll put me in line. Their engineers are busy with other things.

I have no problem spending the time to get this resolved, but not too sure where to start. I figured there are people on the forum who are much more knowledgeable than me, so this is a good place to pose the question.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Device List.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1318587
      Attached Files

Comment

What platform are you running HS3 on.

Comment

Some are Zee S2's & others are Homeseer SEL systems. I'm in the process of upgrading the remaining Zee S2's to SEL's, as the 24/7 stability of an Intel based platform should generally be better than a Raspberry Pi. The SEL's are using Homeseer branded z-wave sticks. All have the same problem with backups. I'm not using any 3rd party hardware on the controllers. Software is what Homeseer provides. I use a few plugins, but only what is in the store, nothing side loaded. The main plugin used in all systems is weatherXML.

Comment

The issue with the backup prior to .500 is that it excluded some directories that are now included. I recall it being the html folder and subfolders. BLBackup may be an alternative for you.
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
            X