Unable to Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to Restore

I have a problem where I lost ALL the nodes in my HS3 system. After a lot of faffing about trying to restore the nodes I swapped the (newer) Z-Net controller for an old Z-Net and the restore worked. I have created a new test build with the possibly faulty controller and created a new network, then restored the data back to the dodgy Z-Net and instead of displaying the restoring nodes info, it displays 'Restoring Data' - it completes this 'successfully' and when I then check, there are no nodes there.

The test build is from a fully functional backup taken this morning, so I know the DB, etc is all OK.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the z-Net is the problem and what can I do about it?

Attached is a screenshot of the restore.

Cheers
    Scott
    Attached Files

The "Restoring data" rather than "restoring node" is a symptom of UZB controller incompatibility. After restore operation is complete, just the HomeID and no node info is restored.

This is what prompted HomeSeer to add "Note: Z-Wave network backup/restore feature not supported in HomeSeer systems." to the (very bottom) of the product pages for the international Z-NET's. They have indicated that there is "no time frame" for this to be resolved.

Options
    1) You could try this: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support...ackup-software
    As its a different product it may or may not work.

2) Z-Wave.me Z-Way server: https://z-wave.me/z-way/
    Z-Wave.me is the manufacturer of the UZB. Z-Way has a steep learning curve though. I used it some time ago to upgrade another of their products and it was a bit of a struggle.

Comment

Seriously....?? A Homeseer product doesn't support backup and restore of its own branded controller? That's amazing. It works fine on an old International (UK) z-Net, but not a newer one - I am shocked.

Thank you for the information. Now I need to do something about it.

Cheers
      Scott

Comment

Is there a UK controller which will support a restore in Homeseer? I have also tried an Aeotec Z-Stick and can't do a restore of the node backup that HS has taken.

All I want is a backup controller as if my working one fails, I would have to redo all the z-wave devices again, and that is not fun!

Comment

I just come across this thread. That is shocking, really. I had a Z-Net for some time, and had a corrupted SD card problem a couple of years ago. Relatively easy to fix. A few months ago I bought a used Z-Net v2 (as my Z-Net) as a backup (or possibly for a second network). So reading through this, even though they are the same (apart from firmware revision which is easy to update, just havent done it yet) I cannot use the backup of my Z-Net to restore to my identical Z-Net ???

Comment

It certainly didn't work for me; zwolfpack certainly suggests that it won't work. I didn't take it up with Homeseer - I was too angry at the time!

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
              ... I cannot use the backup of my Z-Net to restore to my identical Z-Net ???
              Of course its not that simple It's dependent on the UZB firmware version (UZB being the external Z-Wave controller). HomeSeer restore works for some older UZB firmware's, but not on newer ones. For example, I had one with version 5.5 that worked, but version 5.27 won't. Best advice is to try it ... if your lucky it works. (And don't dare upgrade!)

Working versions display messages of "restoring node ..." while restoring. The newer ones display "restoring data ..." but the only thing that gets restored is the HomeID.

Comment

Wait... so are we talking about the firmware or the z-net data on the daughter card. I'm becoming increasingly concerned about my V1 Z-Net. While it works perfectly for now, I will build a backup sd card in case there is corruption at some point. However, this is just the base os. If it goes, I don't need to restore the contents of the daughter card which has the data right?
                HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

The Z-Wave Node data

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                    Wait... so are we talking about the firmware or the z-net data on the daughter card. I'm becoming increasingly concerned about my V1 Z-Net. While it works perfectly for now, I will build a backup sd card in case there is corruption at some point. However, this is just the base os. If it goes, I don't need to restore the contents of the daughter card which has the data right?
                    The discussion is about the data on the z-wave module (which for the European version is a UZB module). If the SD card fails, then this is not affected. The backup/restore works properly for HS branded z-wave modules, including the z-net internal one for the NA market (HS used to have an internal one for Europe as well, but it was discontinued a few years ago). My understanding of the issue with the backup/restore to the UZB module, is that UZB is changing the restore process with different versions of firmware and HS has thrown in the towel on adjusting the z-wave plugin to compensate for all the UZB firmware changes. HS really needs to make a new EU version of the Smartstick or the internal module again so that they have full control over the process.
                    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

At the end of the day, the EU z-nets are Homeseer branded and should be able to back up restore across them - we, as customers, shouldn't need to know the problems - just that it works!!

Comment

Thanks for clarifying guys!
                        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
                        X