Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with setup of z-wave build.

Hi All.

So I'm pretty new to Hs3 pro. I'm in the process of adding new z-wave components to HS3. This is where I'm meeting my first challenges.

The computer with the install is a little stationary Intel NUC machine. But the new zwave devices are spread out to different locations, my first device was close to the computer, so no problem, the next device was on the other side of a wall and it was not found in the search for new devices. I had to unplug the computer, move screen keyboard and what not, to the outside location next to the device to add it. This was a total pain and because of that I have not installed my remaining devices. :-(

My question is, is there a smarter way to do this? Temporary moving the USB zwave stick to a laptop seams like the only way to go, but once setup I don't want the homeseer install to run on the laptop? Is there some piece of software for this purpose outthere?

I did find the mobile app, but as long as the device is not close to the USB Z-wave stick then I don't really see how that should work?

Thanks Kasper

What z-wave devices are you trying to add? Powered devices or battery operated (sensors)? Z-Wave is a mesh protocol and powered devices act as repeaters for it. If you are only adding battery devices that is the cause of your problem. You must have powered devices to repeat the signal otherwise z-wave has no mesh. The same for Zigbee if you're wondering.

Comment

I have only tried to add powered devices. But to my understanding only the USB stick in the homeseer computer is searching for new devices when you ask homeseer to search for new devices. Perhaps I got that wrong?

Comment

What kind of devices? Specifically are they Z-Wave Plus? What is the distance you are trying to add them? Z-Wave is a mesh technology as stated before and each powered node will be used to route messages to their end point. As you add nodes the mesh will grow and a routing table is formed by the controller (USB stick) on how to reach the different nodes.

Start adding nodes closest to the controller and work your way outward. Depending on how fast you're adding nodes you may have to stop and perform a couple network optimize and full optimize to build the routing table. There has been discussion back and forth on whether it's needed or not but your mileage on need will determine it. If you hit a point where you can't add another node it's usually caused by distance from the previous node unless they are in a long stretch past the controller. Z-Wave has a max limit of 4 hops. General practice is to have the controller as "central" to the mesh network as is possible, which is not always possible. If you hit the 4 node hop limit and still find you need more distance to get to nodes that's where the Z-Net comes in very handy. However seeing you're in Denmark the Z-Net may not be available but you can always build your own using a USB stick and raspberry pi.

Comment

The first module was a Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor. I'm not sure if it's plus or not, I think it's not. The next (the one that I could not reach from inside) was a Qubino Zwave plus dimmer 1-10V. Distance between the two is about 4 meters. The first being inside a small outlet stile box, covered wit thin plastic lid. Second module is on the other side of an exterior wall made of wood with sheetrock on the inside walls, inside the walls are about 270 mm thick of insulation, made from wood fiber. I think that answers all your questions.

I have more Z-wave plus modules to add inside, based on what you just said I will add those next moving out from the computer and USB stick. Then I will move out and hope that the inside modules will be able to connect with the outside modules. I guess I will run the network optimize a few times during the process, probably after adding the remaining inside modules, then adding the remaining outside modules finishing off wit a complete network optimization.

If all fails, I thought of going the Z-net way but it's so pricy, so if the same can be done with a raspberry Pi and USB stik, I suppose I could save around 40 to 50%. Do you know if the raspberry need homeseer for raspberry installed to make the Z-net clone?
          Also getting it shipped here from the US will be extra pricy because of import tax and a fee for asking them to take my money and do their jobs. 😢 Considering this I'm really glad to hear of the Pi solution. 👍
          Thanks for the help so far.

Comment

Do you have any plugin wall plugs? I find them to be very useful to "seed" the z-wave network before installing in-wall modules. The problem with in-wall modules as you found is that if you have problems you then have to move the computer/usb stick closer to them as you can't move them closer to the system.

Comment

I don't plan on any wall plugs until expanding the system to the main building. The install is in a heated outside building and the carport area. But as long as the new component one is trying to add, is within reach of one of the existing (already included) modules it should be possible to add it to the system right?

Comment

Originally posted by 3Cubed View Post
                I don't plan on any wall plugs until expanding the system to the main building. The install is in a heated outside building and the carport area. But as long as the new component one is trying to add, is within reach of one of the existing (already included) modules it should be possible to add it to the system right?
                Yes...Depending on the radio strength of the existing units and distance then it should be possible to add more.

Comment

Working...
                X