Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I really been burned by Homeseer more than any other product or service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have I really been burned by Homeseer more than any other product or service?

Loyal Homeseer customer for 3+ years. I guess I'll never learn. After agreeing to allow homeseer to update itself on launch today I was greeted with the error message (and I may be paraphrasing here, I did not get a screenshot) 'homeseerupdater failed'. I should have known better.

This is the 4th time since I've owned the software that something has occurred during the update, but the first time anything as severe as this. Nothing. The crash basically wipes out all of the hours of customization, event creation and tuning, VB script automation, plugin configuration, custom tasker configs, and everything else that goes into owning and making this software work great.

Forgive me if I am uneducated and there actually is a backup of all of that somewhere, but if not, WHY?!?!?!?. Why is everything deleted before installation without backing it up so you can revert. At least throw me a bone and delete it to the recycle bin!!!. Again, I'm very frustrated right now so if I am missing an easy way to recover or I somehow did the installation wrong by agreeing to update and autokill the running apps, I apologize.

I used HS to backup my installation. Where are those backups? Deleted? They were just there in the folder prior.

Without finding anything to restore from or copy, I tried to install again. Successful. Start it up. No devices, no controller, nothing. Like a fresh install, I've been sitting here 30 min now waiting for the z-wave polling to complete. And that seems to be too long. I might not have anything to be honest. All I know at this point is that the install was successful and from the log it looks like it did find the controller and 22 devices, no database, events or triggers. Maybe, just maybe it will at least come back from polling so I can get started rebuilding everything.

It's my fault, really. I've suffered this fate, although not as severely, 3 times before. You'd think I'd learn. Should have made my own backup of the directory. I'm always hesitant when I see that message about updating. And it takes me a good 30 seconds or so before I decide to take the plunge and click yes to that question about updating. During that time, I think to myself, I've updated 4 maybe 5 times since anything bad happened. These guys must have it figured out. Then I click yes.

None of the other times have been as severe as this and this is only the second time it actually gave and error. I've lost custom events (75+) plugin settings, scripts, etc. to varying degrees the other times but this takes the worst. I am probably looking at a week just to get the basic stuff back in order. There are the yard watering events and scripts, pool heater automation, custom security actions like uploading pics and notifying me when the alarm is triggered, custom python scripts for my non-supported wi-fi bulbs, all of my virtual devices created to provide custom solutions to things not supported by HS, the list goes on. Now nothing works. I've become dependent on this stuff being there and working. Frustrating.

Again if I have missed away to recover, please accept my aplogies. But please also let me know what needs to be done and I will be a happy customer who talks about how great homeseer is and update this post to reflect this.

If you need me I'll be sitting in front of my computer for the next week, after work, testing my memory skills about how everything was configured.

Should have known.

There are about 10 backups of the HomeSeer database in the HomeSeer/data directory. You should be able to select a recent backup to load. They are named the same as your data file with _x appended to the file name, where x is a number from 1-10. You will need to check the date stamps to determine which one to use as the appended number is not in chronological order. There is also going to be a Z-Wave network backup. What O/S are you running?
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech
      Unless you had another backup of some form there's not much to be done. You could try a data recovery solution but the decent one's available are kinda expensive.

I was burned with a bad z-wave update 6 months ago... I was furious at myself for not having a recent backup and mad that a release was pushed that would have wiped my z-wave network and devices. Since then I've made a lot of changes to my home setup including not putting everything in HS.
      Since the Z-Wave network is stored in the controllers flash memory, it is very unlikely that any HS update could wipe it out. Even if the flash got erased, HS stores a Z-Wave backup each time a device is included or excluded.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I'm sorry for not being more clear. I can't tell you if anything happened to the stick, I am assuming at this point nothing happened to it for the same reasons someone mentioned above. I just know all my setting were lost, including the 10 backups I know are normally there and who, as I said in the original post, are no longer there. Z-wave polling has now finished. Here is what I have:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PjfmaWk.png
Views:	405
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1320655

I am going to try another scan and hopefully the rest of the properties will show up. It looks like it only read completely one device. I sure hope I don't have to unpair and repair, some of my switches are buried under the switch or in fixtures outdoors..

Comment

Also, it would be nice to know why, when doing an update, the updater apparently deletes these backups?

Comment

Now might be a good time for you to consider implementing the BLBackup plugin. It is free and really easy to setup. It will backup most anything you point it at.

Comment

For myself, I use BLBackup which runs each night. Also, I've disabled HS to check for updates at startup. Since I run HS as a service, I want to know what's going on. All my HS updates are done manually. Never had an issue....
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

You should put in a help desk ticket at support@homeseer.com and they may be able to assist you with this issue. I've never had an update erase backups in the config directory. What hardware are you running HS3 on?
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                X