No announcement yet.

Advise much appreciated: wanting to run HS3PRO and Kodi on NUC8i5BEK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For tinkering purposes here went from using Windows 10 to Windows 2016 Standard server as a base. I understand it is a bit more costly. Windows 10 is primarily a desktop operating system where as Windows 2016 is a server operating system. (Windows 10 is fatter that Windows 2016 server). That is me though and my opinion.

I have too stayed in the Oracle Virtual Box realm of VM's these days and currently utilizing latest VB V.6.2 running on a base Ubuntu server or LUbuntu lite desktop.

Many users here have opted to go the VMware ESXI route and are happy campers today.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

On another note: VMWare ESXi does not require VirtualHere or other 'tricks' and has build in support to share host USB devices such as a SmartStick+ to a guest OS VM.

Comment

I have run HS3 on VMware previously but have now settled on an older i7 Gen 6 Win 10 laptop with 8 Gb RAM and a 256 GB SSD for the last 3 years with no problems.
        I have two RPi3 running Kodi on LibreElec that work great. Also have a i5 Gen 6 Win 10 PC running Kodi 18.4 which runs flawlessly. I also run the PlexKodiConnect plugin to keep Plex synced up with all the Kodi servers.
        For virtualization - I have switched to Proxmox VE from VMware. It is based on KVM, cost a lot less (free) and has no hardware restrictions like VMware and runs great. Here's a pic of the web interface:

Comment

Working...
        X