Node identification when using proper Room/Floor naming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Node identification when using proper Room/Floor naming

For my setup by default the 'Floor' in HS3 is the Node number of the Z-Wave device, and the 'Room' defaults to "Z-Wave".

Decided to make this more useful and named each floor their respective titles of "Basement", "Ground/First", "Second", and "Upper Attic". Then created the obvious "Living", "Master Bed", "Guest Bed", "Office", "Foyer", "Entry", "Hallway", "Garage", etc. rooms.

Works well, until I'm debugging something and I get back something happened with "Node 42".

Forced then to either remember what Node 42 was, or go to Plug-Ins -> Z-Wave -> Node Information, find the node, remember the device root name, and then go back to 'Home' to map that to the corresponding floor/room.

How are others managing this?

Looked at many screenshots shared on forum to get an idea, and majority seems to leave "Node xx" as floor, but that just seems wrong to me as to what floor represents in the real world and requires additional field abuse to map the floor info. Not looking forward to creating a bunch of floors such as "Basement-42" for Node 42, but that's the only solution I can see at the moment, or Is there a way to make logs smart enough to show room/floor or to have the dialogs show the (Node) where it is useful?

If I need to find a particular node I show all devices in the device manager page and then search for the node number in 3 digit format prepended with a hyphen (e.g., "-039" without quotes for node 39). The node number is part of the device address in that format.
    -Wade

Comment

Hi Wade,

The problem is that when I rename all the floor/room info to what I consider more proper naming, then there is no node number identification info available anymore under "Device Manager" or "Home".

Case in point (did not segment the basement into any "Rooms" yet, so left them all as "Z-Wave" for now):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-24 HomeSeer Web Control.png Views:	0 Size:	35.7 KB ID:	1322598

It works well, and has been helpful in creating Events, but debugging log entries has been a pain.

I'm at the early start of installing everything, so before I add over 100+ devices it would behoove me to sort these little things out

Comment

Go to The Custom tab in Tools > Setup and check the box to display the device address.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-08-24 204315.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1322604

Then you'll see something like this for devices associated with physical nodes. The last 4 digits (including hyphen) of the address is the node #.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-08-24 204722.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1322605
        -Wade

Comment

Nothing wrong with using Floor and Room for whatever you want. In fact you can rename those descriptors to suit your purposes. Many long time users have renamed Floor to Type or something like that so there’s an easy way to all motion sensors, all switches, etc.
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Wade

That was the missing piece, thank you, it is now a lot easier to match things.
            Noticed that out of all my device images only one shows up on the Home/Device-Manager page with the column active.
            Have a suspicion that the other images are not square enough to qualify and will have to redo them (good thing to catch now before I add hundreds of entries).

sparkman

Activating the extra options to show more columns helps a lot. Figured now is the best time to ask for advice with a few devices, before I move everything over. Getting suggestion from people such as yourself with a large setup will hopefully prevent me from making mistakes that are very time intensive to correct after the fact. Still bogs me that when I want to edit floor/room and device image on a device with 7 reference entries that I have to do it on each one individually. Appreciate the ability to customize everything to the extreme, but figured there would be an "edit/update all" option when you want them all identical.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
              Still bogs me that when I want to edit floor/room and device image on a device with 7 reference entries that I have to do it on each one individually. Appreciate the ability to customize everything to the extreme, but figured there would be an "edit/update all" option when you want them all identical.
              Some things can be bulk edited on the device manager page via the checkboxes on the left and the dropdown menu at top-left. Floor/room can be bulk edited this way. As for device image, google DTSDeviceImages.
              -Wade

Comment

Take a look at this thread for naming suggestions and at post #11 for bulk editing. This thread may give you some naming ideas.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

RoChess Floor/Room and other values can be bulk edited using the drop down menu at the top left of the Device Management page. There’s also a plugin that allows bulk updating of the device images: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...images-at-once
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
                  X