HomeSeer HS3 Self Hosted Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HomeSeer HS3 Self Hosted Options

Hi All, Im sure this has been asked before. To the point.
    I don't want to be forced to be on some other companies cloud servers just so that I can see, manage and monitor my stuff. I need to self host my application and or server for extreme and very obvious reasons.
    1. What happens when HS Servers go down? I assume it still works locally but not remotely.
    2. Why would I want to share my private personal security, use, devices, apps, habits with a stranger? We teach our kids not to talk to or run off with strangers. Whats the difference here?

How can I create my own instance of HS3 Remote server so I am not using their cloud servers?

Now days this seems to be the norm. However im spending 100% of my business time moving corporations back to their own private in house IT/Network/Servers/Hardware.

Thank you all in advance,please forgive my concern and mild shock.

In the old days before myhs, I would access my HS server by port forwarding to it. However, as the internet has become a dangerous playground, myhs seems like the simplest alternative for many.

I'm surprised about your time being busy moving corporations back to their own private in house IT/Network/Server/Hardware. This is not what I'm seeing up here in Canada. Many corporations including governments are moving to the cloud.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratfink View Post
      Hi All, Im sure this has been asked before. To the point.
      I don't want to be forced to be on some other companies cloud servers just so that I can see, manage and monitor my stuff. I need to self host my application and or server for extreme and very obvious reasons.
      1. What happens when HS Servers go down? I assume it still works locally but not remotely.
      2. Why would I want to share my private personal security, use, devices, apps, habits with a stranger? We teach our kids not to talk to or run off with strangers. Whats the difference here?

How can I create my own instance of HS3 Remote server so I am not using their cloud servers?

Now days this seems to be the norm. However im spending 100% of my business time moving corporations back to their own private in house IT/Network/Servers/Hardware.

Thank you all in advance,please forgive my concern and mild shock.
      HomeSeer is a locally installed application that runs on your own hardware. There is a tunnel service MyHS that provides secure remote access to your HomeSeer installation but that is the only piece that runs on remote servers. This is only required if you want to use voice control services like Amazon Alexa or Google Home.

Comment

HS3 runs on your local hardware and you can simply choose to not use the myHomeSeer service which is the only cloud part of the equation. You will have to connect it to the internet to license HS3 after than you can run it without internet connectivity if you like.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

HSBuddy has a nice overview on how to setup an encrypted direct connection to your local HomeSeer setup @ http://hsbuddy.avglabs.net/pages/direct.html

You can buy a .top domain from NameSilo with DNS service and privacy for $0.99 with $0.99 renewal cost each year after the first year included with purchase. Most of the time you end up with an IP from your ISP that doesn't change. My 'dynamic' IPv4 has been the same since it was issued so it is easy to tie that manually to an A record and then connect to your HomeSeer via example.top or create subdomain home.example.com.

There are also DynDNS or No-IP solutions to handle a dynamic IPv4, but you can also look into IPv6 as odds are your ISP offers you a delegated fixed range.

As for SSL you can go self-signed as explained on HSBuddy's page, and ignore security warnings, or go with free CA solutions such as Let'sEncrypt, or for like $7/year buy a real one.

MyHS doesn't go after your usage/data the way Google does with Nest/Assistant, or Amazon with Alexa/Echo, but just go direct then.

Comment

You can also use a VPN which we do to get back to our HS3 computer. We do use the myhs servers to integrate Alexa.
            Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Comment

Ok...Im thinkin im gettin it...basically hs cloud app/servers is to be able to use voice command from google and amazon as previously mentioned. I can only imagine what that must be like to keep updated? Probably why its a Clod app? As long as vpn is possible for use then this should suffice.Im a heavy user of NOIP. Ill check out hdbuddys page... Thanks for all the help... I greatly apreciate the direction.

Comment

Working...
              X