Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point does it make sense to upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what point does it make sense to upgrade?

So i've been running fairly happily on my Pi for a few years.. Lately however, some of the events that we manually trigger (e.g. sleep mode) take an aweful long time to execute. It's weird and i'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot it.

Sometimes I log in when it's not behaving and i find HS using all the Pi's meager 1GB of RAM. a restart solves it and it settles back to ~520MB. But sometimes it looks fine at the system level, it's just slow to respond. weird..

Then the other night i noticed my bedtime mode wasn't working anymore. I went into the events and it's gone. Weird. I never deleted it. Did I somehow lose it when upgrading one of the last couple times and just didn't notice?

I'm starting to wonder if i should buy something more beefy. Has me wondering, at what point does one jump from a Pi to say an Intel NUC with more uhmf? I do have a fair number of devices and events after all..

thoughts?

Current Date/Time: 07/09/2019 20:44:55
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: ApplicationName='./run_command_raw.sh', CommandLine=''uname -a'', CurrentDirectory='', Native error= Cannot find the specified fileSystem Uptime: 0 Days 21 Hours 7 Minutes 36 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.210
    Number of Devices: 175
    Number of Events: 40
    Available Threads: 399
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.33: Ecobee
    3.0.0.34: ImperiHome
    3.0.0.60: PHLocation2
    0.0.0.45: Pushover 3P
    3.0.6413.20219: UltraNetCam3
    3.0.1.252: Z-Wave

Originally posted by gwichman View Post
    Linux version: ApplicationName='./run_command_raw.sh', CommandLine=''uname -a'', CurrentDirectory='', Native error= Cannot find the specified fileSystem Uptime: 0 Days 21 Hours 7 Minutes 36 Seconds
    A new PI4 and high endurance memory card is inexpensive. You might want to make a backup and at least get a new memory card before the inevitable happens.

As I have always said, "There are two types of hard drives. Those that have failed and those that will fail."

Comment

Based on the plugins you have and the few events and devices, a Pi should be able to handle it. Perhaps you have some corruption on the SD card. The SD card is typically the first thing that fails on the Pis. Do you have a backup of it? One of your plugins may also have a memory leak. I use all the same ones except for the Ecobee, but on Windows instead of a Pi.
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working for a long time then stops working points to hardware failure. As suggested check your SD card first. If using a Pi3 I'd switch to an USB ssd drive

Comment

Thank-you both. In general the cpu (load 0.2->0.46) and memory (391/922M used) load on the Pi seems fine so i've no reason to believe that it isn't adequate.

I'll try to spend some time poking through the system logs to look for something and see about running a file system check.

Comment

Working...
          X