DSC25-ZWUS Volts not updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSC25-ZWUS Volts not updating

Aeotec (Aeon Labs) 2nd generation external dimmer, is working perfectly, but it does not update the Volts entry within HomeSeer.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-25 HomeSeer Web Control.png
Views:	202
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1328709

Volts = Watts / Amperes, so I'm not that concerned about the value, but curious why it is listed and not working.
    1. Does this work for others? Device has v1.20 firmware which I thought was latest.
    2. What is otherwise the recommended way to remove a device entry like this permanently and not just filter it out?
    On another note I could have swore that in Vera3 I had these dimmers set to push value changes with a configurable percentage delta/threshold and not do a poll the way HomeSeer has it set at 1200 seconds for kWh and 120 seconds for Watts to keep values more accurate while keeping Z-Wave network load low on devices steady in usage or with no active load. Verified Aeotec manual and parameter 90 indeed sets this option, with 91 and 92 allowing the thresholds to be configured. Is there any reason why these are not exposed in the Z-Wave tab in HomeSeer? I'm on latest Z-Wave plug version that is not beta, but these are 6+ year old dimmers, it is not like these parameters got added recently. I'm aware I can edit them manually via the SET option, but these appear useful settings that I would expect to be exposed like Vera3 does.

Aeon docs with parameters @ https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdes...nts/6009584520

Submitted support ticket, and will update this thread with their reply so it may benefit others in the future.

Comment

Sometimes you have to re-scan it to get it to include properly / add all the features... not sure if that's a potential problem for you.

Not sure how this device operates (couldn't find their engineering manual) but for example the Nano Dimmer is rather funky in how they operate... the readings (volt, amps, etc.) are all on the OUTPUT stage, so volts will be 0 if it's off and when you turn it on it creates an average depending on your dim settings (note that 50% dim does NOT equal 60V), so long story short, these readings/measurements are pretty much useless.

As you can see, mine reports 42V when ON / 100%

The new(er) external Smart Dimmer 6 reports the correct / actual value all the time.

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	150
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1329053

You can set any parameter you want as long as you set it manually

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	130
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1329054

Comment

mr.Magoo thanks for replying, and bottom of my original post I linked the official AeonLabs manual that has all the manufacture details. I always avoid those manufactures who are not open about what their device supports/offers and how to make full use of it.

They responded to support ticket, and seems they do not have one of those devices so it was never exposed in full, so hoping they can do so based on the detailed AeonLabs manual, or otherwise rely on the German device page the way open sourced HomeGenie does (the Home Automation software I started out on) as it pulls the device info from a maintained domain that lists all the capabilities and even includes device image that can be used instead of the default "no device" icon that HomeSeer uses.

Will see what they say, and what can be done

Comment

Oh, nice, didn't see the tech manual.

Have you changed the default reporting values ? By default it looks like it's only set up to report Watts and kW

Try changing / setting parameter 101 to 5 (4 (watts) is default

Comment

I could easily adjust parameter 103 for reporting group 3 to become 0x00 00 00 01 to send Voltage and then poll group 3, or adjust the other values on delta threshold.

What I don't understand is why all the different home automation controller solutions I've played with over the years: HomeGenie, Vera3 UI5, Vera3 UI7, Home Assistant, OpenHAB, and a few others can display the available device Z-Wave parameters just fine, but that HomeSeer has them hidden and requires somebody to add support.

HomeSeer comes across as a much more professional solution and they might have valid reasons to whitelist parameters, so I'd rather have full support by HS than having to hack each device myself manually. Call me old fashion, but I much prefer to set a GUI checkbox than having to calculate binary/hex parameter values. Ideally I'd like to see HomeSeer add a Current, and Voltage checkbox for group 1, 2 and 3 that will go alongside kWh and Watt, and then a simple check would make it much easier not just for me, but make it easier for anybody else that uses this dimmer.

Have a feeling I'm going to be seeing this in all my other AeonLabs/Aeotec devices as well, or Fibaro, and with all the technical information available (the AeonLabs manual is 7 years old in high detail) this might have just been an oversight.

The other point is that I prefer to get push notification from the device and not poll. Most devices have a very consistent usage pattern, so I can adjust delta thresholds accordingly. In the case of the lamp it would be powered for 6 hours, and use a consistent current and voltage on the set dimmer level. That means with push notifications only two Z-Wave packages would be send for voltage/current/watt usage, once when it turns on, and once when it shuts off. In the current poll setup that leads to 180 Z-Wave packages for all those values. The kWh threshold can be easily adjusted to match the low powered device to only transfer a reasonable amount of updates. Fine for one device, but I'll end up with 100+ devices fighting for that 40Kbps bandwidth that Z-Wave offers and I don't want to sacrifice actuator responsiveness for statistical benefits.

Send Matt at HomeSeer support as much details as possible, so hopefully this will help in making HomeSeer easier to use for myself, and others less inclined to understand Z-Wave parameter tables from tech manuals.

Comment

I have multiple Aeotec devices and I never really had an issue with how they integrate in HS.
              Below is a screenshot from one of their Gen6 plug in dimmers and as you can see the more common parameters are exposed.

I'm guessing someone always has to "set up" a device once for HS to recognize it and show everything properly, if not you're stuck with more of a generic device and "hidden" parameters. This is no different than a few other solutions I've tinkered with (Zipato / Smartthings)

You do get push notifications ? That's the whole point of setting out the reports, you tell the device what to report and how often it should do it.
              You could set up HS to poll (or disable it) as well but it's more of a "hey, are you awake?" thing than something you should use to report values.
              I don't know how the older device works, but the threshold on newer devices are used as a filter (i.e. don't report unless) rather than a trigger (i.e. report if) so it's not something I use since I want them to report every time (at the set interval).

Bandwidth have never been much of a concern let alone an issue, maybe if you're only using the older non-plus devices and a lot of them but I'm using both (~50-60 devices) and have so far not have much of an issue.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	150
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	1329231

Comment

Let me be clear, the device is working, just not exposing everything I'd like.

Your gen6 shows the "Enable reporting only if Wattage value changes" but my gen2 with support for the same feature, and documented as such since 2012 does not.

We both should also have Current and Voltage check-boxes alongside kWh and W, although the A/V readings seem to work fine for you.

If HomeSeer only supports devices it physically has access to for their developers, then maybe offer a "ship one to have us add it, and we'll ship it back". Just confused how other systems I've played with such as: HomeGenie, Vera UI5, Vera UI7, Home Assistant, OpenHAB, and others pull it off then. I've stayed clear from SmarterThings hub and haven't had pleasure of playing with Zipato so cannot comment on those.

And you're right, it was not technically correct to use the word pull, because the device gets configured to push at interval, but I prefer to push on delta threshold change and am used to pull/poll term for interval. I would still configure the poll/push interval, but maybe once every 12 hours and not the 2 minutes it uses by default. That way values still get forcefully exposed for devices not used for a while and help with device-health detection.

I indeed own a lot of the older plug-in models, gen1 even for appliance switches, because I bought a bunch 6/7 years ago on clearance sales, and put everything in-wall for new usages. Philio PAN04 dual relays or alike support power-metering with 2x 1500W support, so I place those directly behind every power outlet inside junction box when needed. A few outlets are left as-is with a sticker on them, for when my 1875W portable AC or other high usage appliances needs to be lugged around which rely on a heavy appliance external Z-Wave adapter.

Sucks that the WD200 dimmers from HomeSeer don't support power metering, because I'm now forced to buy 15x Aeotec wallswipe + nano dimmer kits for primary light control, but I'll probably add 5x WD200 in the larger areas that require 3-way or 4-way switch capability as I love the LED feedback HomeSeer offers.

Everything works, just enjoy increasing usability for myself and others.

Comment

Overlooked response from Matt in my inbox from HomeSeer Support.

They need physical device access before willing to expose additional parameters, and I've got no problem with that argument.

Offered to ship them a large box with wide variety of devices that I use, provided I get them back afterwards

Full priority is given to HS4 though, as it should, so this is put on the back burner for now.

Comment

Working...
                  X