Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken Win10. How to save config and reinstall windows OR Linux and restore config?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Win10. How to save config and reinstall windows OR Linux and restore config?

Is there a WIKI or something on how to do this?

Can I back up my entire config and restore it after reinstalling windows and HS3 Pro?

If I decide to move to Linux, can I use the same config to restore from?

Is Windows ever reliable enough to run home automation?

No WIKI that I know of, however, this is a very simple process on Windows...

1) Backup the whole HS3 directory to another media. Note the version you're using. You might want to update to the latest version of HS before.

2) After you have your OS up to scratch, just download the latest version of HS and perform the install.

3) Copy (overwrite) the newly installed HS3 directory with your backup

Should be about it unless you have some COM devices that you may need to adjust ports etc.

I've done this many times including restoring from previous night's backup taken by BLBackup.

Not sure about the move to Linux as I've been running only Windows since I started in 2003 - so yes, I find Windows reliable.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

1) Backup the whole HS3 directory to another media. Note the version you're using. You might want to update to the latest version of HS before.

2) After you have your OS up to scratch, just download the latest version of HS and perform the install.

Should be about it unless you have some COM devices that you may need to adjust ports etc.

I've done this many times including restoring from previous night's backup taken by BLBackup.

Not sure about the move to Linux as I've been running only Windows since I started in 2003 - so yes, I find Windows reliable.

Robert
      Thanks. It's comforting to know you've been through it several times and it works.

Comment

I did the move from windows environment to Linux just this week. Here is how to back up and restore you current config, Zwave network etc. I did this and worked perfectly. This applies to windows to windows, windows to Linux and vice versa..
        Most important for me was my events and device names etc .. I was willing to start it all from scratch but the restoration brought everything back that I had on the windows pc to the Linux Pi install
        In order to create a full backup of an HS3 system or installation, first you will want to backup your Z-Wave network, then your events, then you can save everyt

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

Robert
          Just completed this and the only thing giving me issues is that the Homeseer Z Wave stick won't initialize. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Schly View Post

Just completed this and the only thing giving me issues is that the Homeseer Z Wave stick won't initialize. Any suggestions?
            What hardware and software did you load? This is an issue on one of the Zee images. I would recommend putting in a help desk request to get the latest image. https://support@homeseer.com
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

What hardware and software did you load? This is an issue on one of the Zee images. I would recommend putting in a help desk request to get the latest image. https://support@homeseer.com
              Disregard. The first time through my COM ports, it didn't pick up the Z Wave Stick on COM 7. The next time it was fine and a quick test shows that devices are working.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Schly View Post

Disregard. The first time through my COM ports, it didn't pick up the Z Wave Stick on COM 7. The next time it was fine and a quick test shows that devices are working.

Thanks!
                So you stayed on Windows? Good to hear you are back up and running.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                X