Why isn't this event logic working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't this event logic working?

I have a Z-wave network with 133 devices on it including four Schlage door locks. In an effort to keep network traffic as low as possible, I have created dedicated events for locking and unlock doors instead of just setting the lock devices directly from within an event.

In looking at my logs, it appears that even though I *think* I'm testing for whether a lock is already locked, unlocked, or Unknown before sending a lock or unlock command, the logs show that it is sending the command even though it *should* fail the logic tests and not send the command.

I've tried executing the lock/unlock events directly from the run button as well as having it called from another event and the result is the same; the command is still being sent.

I've attached a screen shot of one of the events so you can see how I have it set up.

Thanks for any input,

Paul

Click image for larger version  Name:	Office Door Lock HOmesser.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	1336034

In the event calling this event, do you have the option checked to only run if conditions are true?

Also, manually trigger the event with the run button will always ignore conditions.
    -Wade

Comment

As ^ said, if you call an event from another event, the conditions are usually ignored.

Seems like you should simply use a 'if door is not locked' statement as a condition on your existing rules.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
        In the event calling this event, do you have the option checked to only run if conditions are true?

Also, manually trigger the event with the run button will always ignore conditions.
        Hmmmmm..... I don’t see any option stating “only run if conditions are true”.

Where would would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Wazoo View Post

Hmmmmm..... I don’t see any option stating “only run if conditions are true”.

Where would would that be?
          Under advanced options--the red airplane--in the originating event action, not the called one.
          -Wade

Comment

Expand the run event action. Press the airplane symbol, then the run only if... check box should appear. Be sure to minimize the event after setting this.

Comment

Originally posted by viroid View Post
              As ^ said, if you call an event from another event, the conditions are usually ignored.

Seems like you should simply use a 'if door is not locked' statement as a condition on your existing rules.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
              Not sure how I’d structure that. I thought that is what I did in the event posted.

What confuses me is that the logic of my event seems to be 1) if this event is manually triggered (which I interpret to mean that the only thing that will actually trigger this event is another event) and 2) the door is either in a locked state or an unknown state.

Im obviously missing something here.....

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

Under advanced options--the red airplane--in the originating event action, not the called one.
                That did it!

Wow. Been using HS for years and never even noticed that. Doh!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Wazoo View Post
                  ...What confuses me is that the logic of my event seems to be 1) if this event is manually triggered (which I interpret to mean that the only thing that will actually trigger this event is another event) and 2) the door is either in a locked state or an unknown state...
                  I agree that it would have made more sense (to me, at least) for the default to be that conditions be honored and have a check box to "ignore conditions in the called event." Of course its much too late now to change it. Doing so could break a lot of existing events.

Please also note this strangeness (to me) with clicking the run buttons on events. While this ignores the event conditions, it still honors the "Cannot Re-Run For:" timer. I feel like it should ignore this too, when I click the run button (and only then).

Comment

Remember that if you use an outside program to invoke events (such as Alexa), it is considered a Manual Trigger and any event conditions are ignored. If I need Alexa to honor conditions, I use two events - the first event calls the second (with check conditions set), with the second event having the conditions I want to place on it.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                      Remember that if you use an outside program to invoke events (such as Alexa), it is considered a Manual Trigger and any event conditions are ignored. If I need Alexa to honor conditions, I use two events - the first event calls the second (with check conditions set), with the second event having the conditions I want to place on it.
                      I think that the same applies for events triggered by HSTouch.

Comment

Working...
                      X