Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splitting one Home ID Z-wave Network into three. Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting one Home ID Z-wave Network into three. Advice?

Hey all,

I have a three Z-Net system where currently one of them is the primary and the other two are secondary. I did this because I have a large house with about 133 Z-Wave devices.

After speaking with Matt at HS on another issue, he mentioned that the preferred setup would be three distinct Z-Wave networks as there is little or no benefit having one large network and more potential problems.

So.... assuming I get brave enough and risk a divorce, I want to split my network up into three to see if that helps with some chronic Z-wave issues I have.

Any advice? Will I literally have to start from scratch and delete all my Z-wave devices and re-add them to the networks? That thought alone kinda makes me nauseous.

I'd love some insight from the experts on how best to proceed.

Thanks!

Paul

Originally posted by Wazoo View Post
    Will I literally have to start from scratch and delete all my Z-wave devices and re-add them to the networks? That thought alone kinda makes me nauseous.

I'd love some insight from the experts on how best to proceed.

Thanks!

Paul
    I'm no expert, but the answer is yes. I've been working on the same over the past few months...removing devices from one network and including them in one of 2 others, then repairing all the broken events and ET groups. It's tedious, but doing it over time was less disruptive in my case and allowed me to more carefully clean up the mess each move makes. I've made use of Jon00's Event Viewer to document the events prior to excluding and reincluding.

Someone more knowledgeable may be able to tell me if I'm causing other problems--haven't seen any to date--but the last few I devices I factory reset at the device without excluding, then re-included in the new network. The advantage is that events dependent on the device remain intact (in certain circumstances they can get pretty badly messed up and require extensive rebuilding when a device is excluded) and the old HS device can simply be replaced with the new in the event. I then go in and use "remove bad node" to get rid of the old device.

Hope this helps. Use the factory reset technique at your own risk as I'm not sure whether there are other ramifications.
    -Wade

Comment

Working...
    X