Upgrading from HS 1.7.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading from HS 1.7.7

I have been using Homeseer 1.7.7 for more years than I care to remember on my ancient PC running Windows XP controlling lights etc. using X10 devices as well as using data from Weather Display software to control X10 devices according to values such as ambient temperatures, solar intensity etc.

I've been putting off upgrading the PC but as it's getting unreliable so I'm really going to have to buy a Window 10 machine. I already have another PC running W10 and I tried to install my copy of HS 1.7.7 on it but as expected, it failed so I'm going to have to purchase a later version of HS but my question is, how difficult or otherwise will it be to transfer all my settings and scripts from HS 1.7.7 to HS3? I connect to the X10 devices using a CM12U interface and acquire the Weather Display data by using HS scripts to read data from a file in WD (clientraw.txt).

Has anyone done this and if so, could I have some guidance please?

Incidentally, this must be the most bizarre use for HS which I developed when challenged by my wife: I have modified a mousetrap which is in the loft by adding sensors to check when it's been triggered and written a script for HS to send me an email to when a mouse has been caught (details if anyone's interested!!)

This will be a painful experience as the scripting engine has changed as well as nearly every other aspect of HS3. I'm not even sure the CM12U is still supported. I know the CM11A, and a couple of other X10 interfaces are but even this has changed so significantly.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      This will be a painful experience as the scripting engine has changed as well as nearly every other aspect of HS3. I'm not even sure the CM12U is still supported. I know the CM11A, and a couple of other X10 interfaces are but even this has changed so significantly.
      The CM12 is just the UK version of the CM11A so is still supported.
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by theoldschool1878 View Post
        I have been using Homeseer 1.7.7 for more years than I care to remember on my ancient PC running Windows XP controlling lights etc. using X10 devices as well as using data from Weather Display software to control X10 devices according to values such as ambient temperatures, solar intensity etc.

I've been putting off upgrading the PC but as it's getting unreliable so I'm really going to have to buy a Window 10 machine. I already have another PC running W10 and I tried to install my copy of HS 1.7.7 on it but as expected, it failed so I'm going to have to purchase a later version of HS but my question is, how difficult or otherwise will it be to transfer all my settings and scripts from HS 1.7.7 to HS3? I connect to the X10 devices using a CM12U interface and acquire the Weather Display data by using HS scripts to read data from a file in WD (clientraw.txt).

Has anyone done this and if so, could I have some guidance please?

Incidentally, this must be the most bizarre use for HS which I developed when challenged by my wife: I have modified a mousetrap which is in the loft by adding sensors to check when it's been triggered and written a script for HS to send me an email to when a mouse has been caught (details if anyone's interested!!)
        The X10 plugin in HS3 supports the CM12 so that is not a problem.

Also, for weather display, there is no need to use scripts anymore. You can use this instead: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...and-3?t=169344

Jon

Comment

You're in for an adventure for sure.
          I don't remember well my transition from HS1 to 2, but I think what I did was take a printout of all my devices and events, made notes where I thought I might run into trouble, and just took my time by keeping HS1 running when I wasn't actively working on the project, at that time on the same machine. As some point I made the switch permanent and never looked back.
          Where you plan to buy a new machine, you won't need to interrupt your HA much at all as you go, until it's time to shut down the old workhorse for good.

I went through the same process back in March/April this year, finally moving from HS2 to 3. What I thought was going to be a month long process, creating devices and developing events, was complete enough to commit within a week.
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Two thoughts come to mind, one being to try to run the installer in compatibility mode.

The other would be the possibility of running it in a virtual machine possibly within the XP mode.

Hopefully the compatibility mode gets the job done, as the learning curve for using a VM is a little steeper.

Comment

I ran the installer on a Windows 10 machine using 'Windows XP Service Pack 2' compatibility mode and Version 1.7.7 installed.

Upon opening I was greeted with the Genie speaking 'Welcome To HomeSeer' which I had forgotten about and it scared me half to death.

I did no further testing, but I think it's something worth trying as this might be a temporary stop gap for you until you find the courage to plunder forth!

See attached image...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Haig View Post
                ... it scared me half to death. .... I did no further testing...
                Must have been quite a scare then.
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Man... that's a view I haven't seen in an awful long time..
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Two thoughts come to mind, one being to try to run the installer in compatibility mode.

The other would be the possibility of running it in a virtual machine possibly within the XP mode.

Hopefully the compatibility mode gets the job done, as the learning curve for using a VM is a little steeper.
                    Thanks Dave I tried installing and running the program in compatibility mode as you suggested and although I had a few issues/error messages it seems to work so far - it's certainly installed but I'll have to do some more testing tomorrow. May be the easier route rather than starting again with HS3!

Comment

As an FYI, I ran the installer in compatibility mode but ran the program with default Windows 10 settings and did not receive any errors.

And, as a further note, the Windows 10 I used was running on a Virtual Machine and was pretty much stripped down, with no antivirus.

Comment

As an FYI, I ran the installer in compatibility mode but ran the program with default Windows 10 settings and did not receive any errors.

And, as a further note, the Windows 10 I used was running on a Virtual Machine and was pretty much stripped down, with no antivirus.
                        Yes, I've just tried running it without checking "Run this program in compatibility mode..." & all is well.

Incidentally I copied the whole HS directory from my XP machine to the W10 machine to transfer all my settings etc. and the only minor issue I experienced was that the program couldn't find the configuration xml file as the path in the settings.ini file was to the C:\Program Files\Homeseer\config directory (as it was in XP) so I changed it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Homeseer\config directory as this is where the installer put it in W10.

Not that I want to be a Luddite but I can't see any reason why I should upgrade to HS3 for what I want to do (and to save some $$$!)

Comment

Yes, I've just tried running it without checking "Run this program in compatibility mode..." & all is well.

Incidentally I copied the whole HS directory from my XP machine to the W10 machine to transfer all my settings etc. and the only minor issue I experienced was that the program couldn't find the configuration xml file as the path in the settings.ini file was to the C:\Program Files\Homeseer\config directory (as it was in XP) so I changed it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Homeseer\config directory as this is where the installer put it in W10.

Not that I want to be a Luddite but I can't see any reason why I should upgrade to HS3 for what I want to do (and to save some $$$!)
                          Only that your CM12 will die and you will not be able to get a replacement!
                          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Only that your CM12 will die and you will not be able to get a replacement!
                            Why will it die? (I have 2 spares - a CM12U and a Domio DCIU)

Comment

Why will it die? (I have 2 spares - a CM12U and a Domio DCIU)
                              They used to be terribly unreliable in the past as they overheated and their components dried out. I got through one every 2 to 3 years before I moved to another controller for X10 (now Z-wave BTW).
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X