Clean Install - Why would this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean Install - Why would this happen?

Silly me, my fault I know, I was waiting until I had everything clean/perfect and back to the way I had it before to back it up. If that's the only answer I need to take a zen moment and think what direction I want to go next. The reason I'm rebuilding is that the restore function failed (from any backup date) after it crashed after two years. It never restored the devices names or my 200 events. I was trying to look at this as a chance to set things up cleaner. I also had a lot of devices that supported S2 and wanted to add them that way with newer Smartsticks.

Yesterday, I spent all day starting my HS3 install. I got most of my permanently mounted devices like light switches/door locks/etc done yesterday. That shows to be about 160 devices... obviously many are child devices. Today, I thought I'd take a break from that grind and start adding in other plugins like PhLocation and Nest.

At some point I noticed some devices not responding and went to my controller management and found this for every interface...

This network has no active interfaces enabled for it, and it has no objects or
    HomeSeer devices tied to it. If this network will not be used again, please
    use the functions at the end to remove this network and all associated
    network data. (Restart the plug-in after removing the interface before
    attempting the removal.)

The data base is empty as well.

Any ideas why this would ever happen?

While the interfaces still show in the comm port section of device manager HS3 never sees them.

I've rebooted, shut down the zwave plugin, changed the plugin versions, thrown holy water around...nothing changes.

Not happy...Tom

Current Date/Time: 2/15/2020 9:45:07 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 15 Minutes 19 Seconds
    Number of Devices: 166
    Number of Events: 0
    Available Threads: 800
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Webroot SecureAnywhere Webroot SecureAnywhere Windows Defender Webroot SecureAnywhere
    In Virtual Machine: No MFG: gigabyte technology co., ltd.
    Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.2.0: Z-Wave

I notice you are running Webroot. I am too.
    Webroot can be problematic with it's firewall. There is a bug with the firewall allow/block list not pointing to the correct path of files you add to the list: https://community.webroot.com/webroo...102#post308509

I have spent many hours pulling out my hair because of the webroot firewall issues. And often when I update a plugin in run in to problems with webroot pointing to the homeseer 'updates' folder where the file was updated from. So frustrating.

Not saying this is the cause of your problems but I would do some testing by disabling Webroot entirely, or disabling the webroot firewall. If this fixes your issues you know where the problem is. Once you get HS working the way you like you can try enabling webroot again.

Worth a try.

Marty.
    iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Thank for responding. In my case, it was purely using the beta zwave plugin to get S2 functionality. As soon as I backed down I stopped having weird issues. I would also mention that backing out of an S2 configuration requires excluding any device added with S2 and starting over again.

Comment

Originally posted by ts1234 View Post
        Thank for responding. In my case, it was purely using the beta zwave plugin to get S2 functionality. As soon as I backed down I stopped having weird issues. I would also mention that backing out of an S2 configuration requires excluding any device added with S2 and starting over again.
        Just a note for future reference. The S2 version of the plugin should be avoided as the S2 protocol is in flux and the plugin is still considered beta due to the changes.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

Just a note for future reference. The S2 version of the plugin should be avoided as the S2 protocol is in flux and the plugin is still considered beta due to the changes.
          You're right about the HS S2 Plugin.... that's about it though.

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post

You're right about the HS S2 Plugin.... that's about it though.
            Thanks
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

As a final couple of comments on the issues I had...and HS support REALLY helped with this.

I'm guessing most who spend considerable time on this forum probably know this and maybe this is even in documentation somewhere. I am certainly guilty of expecting consumer products to just work and even more guilty of not just reading the manual. I also don't build and rebuild systems all the time, so I have no idea if this was just the beta plugin, or always true.

When I started to rebuild my system I installed a clean copy of HS3 on a fresh Windows 10 install on a laptop. I then went around my house and performed a "factory reset" of all my HS-WD200+'s and switches (3 taps top/bottom & 1 tap top). I started to re-add them and and some/most I had to take my laptop right next to them to add, and even then had issues. It was like every device was screaming and nothing was getting through. Please note, that is just a purely uneducated guess.

What HS support told me was that even though they had been what I thought was factory reset from the switch plate, to exclude them each before re-adding them. As soon as I did that, they included perfectly even with my laptop left in a central position. Of course, using the beta z-wave driver I had other issues, primarily with HS leak sensors that just kept permanently disappearing and never sending updates after a day or so, but I also had intermittent issues with all my S2 Homeseer devices. Usually, pulling and resetting the load disconnect resolve them for about 24 hours.

The moral to this Aesop fable, at least for me, is simply for us amateurs to stay away from beta drivers. At least the z-wave ones and probably any others. My system has been rock solid ever since I converted back. HS is the best product on the market IMHO, and many thanks to all who devote excessive time to testing and development so the rest of us can play.

Comment

Working...
              X