Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3.exe File has Stopped Working

Hello,

Homeseer HS3 has been running fine for me (more than a year) on Windows 7 until today.
    My HS3.exe file is now suddenly listed as a “config” file, and when I try to click/run this file, it does not run HomeSeer but instead opens up in Notepad.
    (I see other .exe files listed as config files also.)
    I have no idea what happened?

Does anyone know how to fix this and get HomeSeer working again?
    Hopefully an easy fix.
    Thank you.

Some type of virus/malware? Dont wish to sound alarmist but it shouldn't just uninstall itself.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      Some type of virus/malware? Dont wish to sound alarmist but it shouldn't just uninstall itself.
      Virus does not seem likely as the pc is dedicated to Homeseer, does not use email or internet searching programs, and has anti-virus software with real time protection.

Homeseer does not look like it uninstalled as HS3 files and folders are still there.

Comment

Should have both HS3.exe and HS3.exe.config

If the former is missing I'd suspect over-zealous virus "protection".
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
          Should have both HS3.exe and HS3.exe.config

If the former is missing I'd suspect over-zealous virus "protection".
          Thank you very much.
          You are correct.

I just looked and found some Homeseer files quarantined by the anti-virus program.
          I restored the files and Homeseer appears to be working now.

Weird... not sure why this has happened now after running fine for so long.

Comment

Given that you do not do web surfing and email with the machine and only use it for HS, it is unlikely that you need dedicated AV software running as well. As you have seen, it can actually create problems where none exist. I run HS on a dedicated box, and have never used AV software with it. If you are seriously worried about malware, though, it's time to move HS to a Win 10 computer.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Agreed that If his Win 7 is only for HS and not going out to the internet then there is no need for AV software. However, I would also stay with Win 7 where there should be no more updates. I hate all the updates of Win 10 that tend to disrupt things. In fact I just bought an original set of Win 7 on DVD. I'm going to install it and just let it run HS.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                . . .I would also stay with Win 7 where there should be no more updates. I hate all the updates of Win 10 that tend to disrupt things.
                I don't disagree. My point is that Win 10 with Windows Defender is probably less vulnerable to malware than Win 7 with 3rd party AV software.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks for the advice, and I will consider it.
                  I will probably just leave as is for now and see if the issue ever arises again.

Comment

Working...
                  X