HS3 Sound Events Stop Working after logging out of Microsoft Remote Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Sound Events Stop Working after logging out of Microsoft Remote Desktop

I've searched forum posts, contacted HomeSeer support chat, and have not found a feasible solution that did not require a certified network analysis degree as a prerequisite for solving this issue.

I have a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro...the main reason I did this (reformatting a new computer's drive) was entirely so I could use Remote Desktop to access this computer. I have HS3 standard latest released version. Windows firewall is disabled.

I can log in (from a Windows 10 Home computer on my local LAN) using remote desktop (using the 'sound on remote computer' option) and all my event's voice announcements work properly. As soon as I log out of remote desktop, the sound stops working...no errors in the HomeSeer log.

I saw this post by rjh a while back:

When you log off an RDP session Microsoft assumes that no one is at the computer so it disconnects the sound card from the speech system. The only way to re-connect is to log back in. We have discussed with Microsoft a long time ago and they admit the problem, but they never thought about the audio system being run non-attended. It is possible to fix this by re-writing the sound interface to SAPI, but that is a huge job. So with HomeSeer, you cannot use RDP if your using TTS or a modem.
    I'm wondering if this is some sort of log out problem after terminating the session but here is another interesting item... I can RD into the computer, start playing an MP3 file, hear that through my speakers, then while the song is playing, log out of remote desktop and the SOUND CONTINUES TO PLAY!!

I've tried everything, log out, log in, start this, try that, I'm at an end as to what I can troubleshoot and am looking for help and guidance.

I don't want to use VNC, LogMeIn, etc... again, the only reason i purchased Win10 Pro was to use remote desktop.

Help would be very much appreciated and thank you!!
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Just run the attached bat file (through RD) before you wish to terminate the session.
    Attached Files
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      Just run the attached bat file (through RD) before you wish to terminate the session.
      Thanks jon:

So, just to clarify, I run this on the computer that is remoting into the HomeSeer computer (i.e. NOT the HomeSeer computer itself)? thanks again! BSR

Comment

No, you would install it on the HS computer. Just create a shortcut to the bat file and when you have finished your session, double click on the shortcut. Your session will close and sound will be restored.
        Jon

Comment

No, you would install it on the HS computer. Just create a shortcut to the bat file and when you have finished your session, double click on the shortcut. Your session will close and sound will be restored.
          OK, great, that worked though for others, I right clicked on the shortcut and chose the 'run as administrator' option. Is there anyway to just click on the shortcut without having to right click and giving windows permission to run that file? The local account has administrative rights and I RD as that user.

Thanks a million for this solution!!!

Comment

Sure, right-click on the shortcut, select advanced and check the 'run as administrator' check box.
            Jon

Comment

Sure, right-click on the shortcut, select advanced and check the 'run as administrator' check box.
              PERFECT! Again, my thanks!

Comment

Hi jon:

Could you help me with one more thing (this should be that last major item I need to figure out)? What is the best way to auto login/start HomeSeer on a Win10 Pro machine (I have the bios set to restart on a power outage and would like it to come up with HomeSeer running when power is regained)?

Is this still the preferred methodology (HomeSeer's YouTube posting)?

I've read a ton of threads on this, but they are dated, and I know you have a good working solution for this!!

Thanks,

BSR

Comment

Personally, I use startup delayer: https://www.r2.com.au/page/products/...artup-delayer/

Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X