Zooz Z-Wave Power Strip Watts Bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zooz Z-Wave Power Strip Watts Bug?

I am experiencing an issue with both of my Zooz ZEN20 Z-Wave Power Strip that looks like a bug. With channel 1 off, the watts value for channel 1 toggles between 0 and what appears to be a sum of channel 1-5. Anyone else seeing this?

It looks like a firmware update was released that throttles back the reporting frequency. Anyone know the proper Z-Wave parameters to set to stop flooding my Z-Wave network with watt changes?

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Attached Files
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

I can confirm both issues. Latest firmware is flaky at best.

Comment

I have a strip with v.2.0 firmware and another one that I've just updated to V2.2.
      The first strip is kinda usable. The firmware update made the matters even worse.

Comment

I have always had problems with ZOOZ power strips and Double plugs in HS. I have a Hubitat hub running and included them in there, no problems. I don't use the power side (in HS) but you can see the values coming in the Hubitat logs just fine. I pull over the switches with the HS mcsHubitat plugin.If you need the energy I can see the devices created so it you want the values you can set them up in the Hubitat hub to pass over. Sorry I know that this is a work around but once I took the ZOOZ strips/double plugs (wall switches work fine) off the HS Zwave plugin everything sped way up in HS.

Comment

I am using one of the strips to recycle Hubitat, can't win..

Comment

Did any of you open a HomeSeer support case? if yes, can you please share the number? If not, I'll open one.

I contacted the vendor and they stated the issues below only occur within HomeSeer and no other controllers.

Issues:
            1. Turning on any of the first 5 channels always turns on channel 7. Channel 7 only turns off when all other channels are off. Channel 6 and 7 should indicate the power state of the USB ports.
            2. The channel 1 watts device toggles between the correct watts for the channel and a sum of all channels.

Regards,
            Ultrajones
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Turning on any of the first 5 channels always turns on channel 7. Channel 7 only turns off when all other channels are off. Channel 6 and 7 should indicate the power state of the USB ports.
              It is actually messier than that. Sometimes, switching one of the 5 also changes state of other channels in the main group. This other channel gets selected by HS when the strip joins the network. The selection depends on your luck/star alignment.

No, I did not contact HS support. My previous attempts were not exactly encouraging.
              Instead of wasting time with them, I just moved some devices to Hubitat.

Comment

Originally posted by Vit View Post

No, I did not contact HS support. My previous attempts were not exactly encouraging.
                Instead of wasting time with them, I just moved some devices to Hubitat.
                Wise man. I was having the same problems with the Zooz power strips and Zooz double plugs and I got fed up with HS and threw them onto the Hubitat hub, no more issues. The problems have to do with how HS handles the frequency of the energy reporting coming from the Zooz devices. When it goes goofy it loads up your Zwave network with tons and tons of reporting going to the HS plugin to the point where nothing can run efficiently. I lost a day of my life trying to add devices to HS and they wouldn't add. I finally dug deep enough to see how hard the HS Zwave plugin was working and as soon as I unplugged the Zooz devices the Zwave devices started in a snap again. Zooz is also to blame and I even went into the Zwave management side and changed the reporting parameters individually with no luck. You do need to check your HT logs from time to time as the heavy reporting can come back but it easy to fix with the HT device menu parameters.

Comment

I thought about the issue possibly being related to the excessive power reporting but in the end, could not convince myself.

The strips, and the double plugs, switch channels incorrectly with, and without, the load.
                  On the other hand, I have quite a few ZEN15s that I use for load monitoring but don't see them affecting the network performance.

Comment

Yeah I have a couple ZEN 15's as well in HS without a problem. Zooz and HS just don't like each other when it comes to the power strips and double plugs. I really think it's a Zooz switch issue BUT no issue in HT so who knows, HS support sure doesn't. I recently put in two Zen 16 multi relays at two different locations (HS and Hubitat HS3 systems). HS would only include one of the three switches at both locations after a few tries. HT found all three at both sites first time, so they don"t work in HS either. I have installed quite a few Zooz wall switches with no problems either HS or HT.

Comment

Unfortunately, Zooz strips/plugs are not the only devices HS does not like.
                      I thought they liked Fibaro but a year+ later, it looks like my Fibaro implant is going to HT.

Oh, well..

Comment

We’ll see what happens I guess. I know the HST is working on the new ZWave plugin they are/were?, suppose to implement in HS4 so no work fixing the plugin for HS3 bugs and stuff. They have their hands full with HS4 and all the bugs there. Plus on top of that all the free plugins that sound good but either have problems or are limited in what they can actually interface with currently. With this downtime I decided to learn HA and there is a curve there since I’m not a programmer by trade but within a day I had all devices in It from HS besides my Zwave Devices that weren’t in HT. It took me longer to get HS4 running right on a pi. My next feat is to move over all my ZWave (this is a lot, I have 3 Znets) from HS and put it in HT. Once that is done just re-associate my events in HS, build events in HA and I can run both systems at the same time (of course only running events on one machine at a time). I’ll figure it out from there. My HS3 has been reliable for a long time I just don’t know where HS are going. I mean the have what 5, 10, 15 programmers. I don’t know the answer to that but HA is open source so they have hundreds of people making it better. Even HT has a big community always adding things so again We’ll see!

Comment

If you have a lot of ZWave devices, you'll probably need more than one HT hub.
                          HT is great but there is known but concerning problem with the hubs. At times, they essentially stop responding and require a reboot.

Fortunately, it does not happen to me often but it does happen. I have two hubs and both are affected despite the fact that I don't run any programs on them. (Well, to be precise, there is a program - MQTT).

I am not an expert in any of this but to me, the Znets, inside and outside, look very similar to HT hubs.
                          Now, if Znets get overwhelmed by power reporting, why would one expect the HT hubs to handle the task and on top, do whatever processing required to execute user programs?

Comment

Yeah I’ll be using three HT hubs. I think the reporting is better ignored or should I say handled by the driver setup where you can set it there (reporting rate) than trying to set it up in parameters of the Zwave management of HS. I’ve never had a hub hang but I’m aware that the do/could. I have always set the up for a periodic reboot. Mine are set for 2:00am every three days and no problems. Mine are mainly for devices but I do run Webcore on one and use Zone control on a few motion sensor areas on all three so not much processing at all. The ZNet and Sel are basically the same thing in a pi with different SD image. You can put the SD card image from either in the other and they pretty much work straight away. HT is running JavaVM and HS pi Buster. HT is not a pi.

Comment

we've drifted off the topic but with apologies, I'll ask you how you do the periodic reboots. I have my HT hubs plugged into the subject strips (and that's how it started ) but that means hard reboots. So far, it's been good but I believe people had concerns related to HT DB corruptions possibly caused by abrupt shutdowns.

Comment

Working...
                              X