Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS3 appears to randomly open Garage Door (dev: Nortek GD00Z and Fortrezz MIMOlite)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 appears to randomly open Garage Door (dev: Nortek GD00Z and Fortrezz MIMOlite)

I have a garage door that is controlled from homeseer HS3 and after some trouble shooting, it appears the only variable left is Homeseer HS3 software itself.

At the beginning of the trouble shooting, I had a Linear (Nortek) GD00Z z-wave garage door opener which was working fine for years. I have a HS3 routine that "chimes" every time the garage door opens. Periodically I would a hear chime and sure enough, the garage door is open. I have confirmed in the log file there appears to be no "device control" entries where HS3 told the garage door to open but sure enough it's open anyway. Originally based on the lack of a log entry I ruled out HS3. so I did the following as part of my trouble shooting:
    1) Linear GD00Z device - I removed the node from HS3. Added the node back into HS3. Re-associated the device back into the HS3 routines. A couple of hours later, garage door randomly opens.
    2) Linear GD00Z - Unplugged the power to the device to eliminate any device control to the garage door. Obviously unplugging the device's power also eliminates the device responding to any HS3 control as well. After a week, garage door remained closed. Thinking Linear was a bad device, I replaced it on the weekend with a MIMOlite garage door opener.
    3) MIMOlite Garage Door opener - added the device to HS3 device appeared associated the new device to the routines and it appeared to work fine. The next day, "chime" and sure enough the garage door is open again. ARG!!! Rebooted HS3 and unplugged the device from HS3 again... two days later, door hasn't opened.
    4) throughout this trouble shooting process I considered the fact one of my garage door operator may have learned one of my neighbors remotes but we haven't found our door open during the time period the z-wave devices were/are unplugged.
    5) In HS3, I have disabled all routines associated to the MIMOlite device; with the exception of the "Chime" if the garage door states changes to open. In HS3 turned on detailed logging of HStouch. Device is plugged in again. Now, waiting for a time stamp of the next random opening to occur.

After trying two different manufacturer's devices and the issue continues, the only variable left is HS3. Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening?

Current Date/Time: 6/1/2020 11:31:24 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux hometrollerSEL 3.16.0-031600-generic #201408031935 SMP Sun Aug 3 23:56:17 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 2 Days 14 Hours 9 Minutes 52 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.40
    Number of Devices: 249
    Number of Events: 288
    Available Threads: 199
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 1
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.2.0: Z-Wave

I had two Linear GD00Z devices and they both failed. My doors were possessed and would open and close at random. I switched to MIMOLite with reed switch mounted to concrete floor. All is good. On one occasion however, after installing the MIMOLite, the doors were opening and closing continuously. Shut down hs3. Started checking things and sure enough I had a bad z-wave switch that was causing problems. Replaced that switch and have had to perform no more exorcisms. I also installed surge suppression at my main panel and sub panels. System has stabilized and no garage door issues since then.

As one forum member opines in their tag line - never underestimate the havoc a bad z-wave node can inflict.

I think you have a bad device somewhere. Finding it is difficult. I have found by noise, voltage, and odd behavior.

Hope this gives you some guidance.

Another thing you can check is if you have any events involved in the garage doors - are they involved???

Good Luck

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am debating if I should buy a Z-Wave Deadbolt as it seems to be the only decent HS3/non cloud option available now;
      I'm actually waiting for some Wifi/MQTT alternative (again self maintained/non cloud) but nothing seems available as of today.

The more I am reading comments on Z-Wave, the more I feel I'm back to my previous X-10 installation where I spent hours figuring out what was interfering with the signal, changing faulty modules, adding filters, exorcisms =) etc. Definitely don't want to go there again.

So what is your perspective on Z-Wave, are these issues quite common? good? bad ? stay away or not?

Since I don't expect anything else to run on Zwave (every device here is Wifi/Tasmota or 433Mhz - running smoothly), not sure if I want to add a "phase out" or faulty technology.

Let me know what you think based on your experience,

jashie73, hoping you get this one resolved =)

Thx,

Comment

Overall I'm happy with zwave. I have very few wifi devices (4) and over 50 physical devices with 250+ child devices all zwave. My system has been running for about 8 years with minimal issues on a hometroller SEL (Linux). This has been the first persistent issue so far.

Comment

Thx for the feedback;

The subject still seems to be a subject of debate, so actual user opinions are valuable. Cheers.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...r-just-for-fun

Comment

I'm a fan of using non contact relays to control my garage and gate opener. I have alarm contacts on the gate and garage that let me know if they are open.

I started off using the Linear/GoControl Z-Wave Isolated Contact Fixture Module. They had a high failure rate in my installation. Truth be told I placed them in less than ideal installations; inside the gate controller box and unconditioned attic respectively. I'm sure Texas summers contributed to their 1 to 2 year lifespan. After running through 3 Linear/GoControl relays I decided to install a low voltage box in conditioned space and switched to using Qubino Z-Wave Plus Universal Relay with Dry Contact Switch ZMNHND3. I like that the Quibino's can run on low voltage.

On my roadmap I plan to install ultrasonic senors to detect vehicle presence.

Relating to phantom garage door openings. When I was initially setting up Siri integration I included my Linear contact fixture which showed up as a 'light' fixture. Asking Siri to turn on all the lights included my gate opener, much to my chagrine. Not a big deal as long as the dogs weren't in the back yard. This was before I included an announcement for the gate opening. Big hit to WAF till I figured out why we'd find the gate randomly open.

My zwave devices, other than my non contact relays, have been trouble free. This includes my zwave deadbolt.
            HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
            Number of Devices: 1005
            Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
              Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am debating if I should buy a Z-Wave Deadbolt as it seems to be the only decent HS3/non cloud option available now;
              I'm actually waiting for some Wifi/MQTT alternative (again self maintained/non cloud) but nothing seems available as of today.

The more I am reading comments on Z-Wave, the more I feel I'm back to my previous X-10 installation where I spent hours figuring out what was interfering with the signal, changing faulty modules, adding filters, exorcisms =) etc. Definitely don't want to go there again.

So what is your perspective on Z-Wave, are these issues quite common? good? bad ? stay away or not?

Since I don't expect anything else to run on Zwave (every device here is Wifi/Tasmota or 433Mhz - running smoothly), not sure if I want to add a "phase out" or faulty technology.

Let me know what you think based on your experience,

jashie73, hoping you get this one resolved =)

Thx,

I can say that I have a Schlage Z-Wave lock and it has been flawless for the last 4 years. Wrote an event to turn off alarm system when code was entered. Very reliable and the battery life is excellent.

Comment

Working...
              X