Recover HSTouch configuration file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recover HSTouch configuration file?

My hard drive went kaput, so I'm recovering my HS3 installation from a config backup. I reinstalled HS3 on a new machine and restored the config and most things work as before.

I had an android appliance running HSTouch client with some custom screen definitions I had designed and it works the same as before, but when I reinstalled HSTouch Designer on the new machine, it only has the default sample screens. It seems the HS3 backup didn't save the HSTouch xml designs.

But since the client works, I must assume the custom xml is stored in the client itself. I looked all over its storage but can't find it.

So my question is where & how can I recover the HSTouch screen definition that is currently running, so I can edit it with the Designer again?

Thanks for any insight.

I had to do this once .... many many many years ago (HS2 days IIRC).

This recent thread has info for where it's stored. I believe I was able to extract the xml file from this location, however, it is not stored on the client as an XML file. Might have been in a zip format. I can't fully remember.
    Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
    Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
    Number of Devices: 633
    Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.54.0: BLBackup
    2.0.40.0: BLLAN
    3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
    3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
    3.0.0.87: weatherXML
    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post

This recent thread has info for where it's stored. I believe I was able to extract the xml file from this location, however, it is not stored on the client as an XML file. Might have been in a zip format. I can't fully remember.
      I was afraid it might involve rooting....

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Do you have a cloud service like OneDrive? My installation of HS Touch Designer automatically saved the project file on my OneDrive drive.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
          Do you have a cloud service like OneDrive? My installation of HS Touch Designer automatically saved the project file on my OneDrive drive.
          That would have been handy, but unfortunately didn't have any cloud backup service setup on my HS machine.

Comment

Use existing /open Google account (15Gb free) and activate the auto sync feature. I know it doesn't help right now but had a similar issue a month ago. I now have my full homeseer folder backed up in real time + 10 days worth of BLbackups (4am daily) in sync with dropbox + automated daily backups of my devices and events database. Ive learned my lesson I guess . Hope you can extract you XML from the device, let us know if you find a way to do it on an unrooted device.
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
              Use existing /open Google account (15Gb free) and activate the auto sync feature. I know it doesn't help right now but had a similar issue a month ago. I now have my full homeseer folder backed up in real time + 10 days worth of BLbackups (4am daily) in sync with dropbox + automated daily backups of my devices and events database. Ive learned my lesson I guess . Hope you can extract you XML from the device, let us know if you find a way to do it on an unrooted device.
              Cheers
              Yup, it's one of those things that I definitely should have done. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post

I just checked a rooted Samsung Android device and the files are stored in their native XML format, with a .xml extension.

If you check online (google) there are ways to access the directory with adb without root, depending on how much effort you want to go through. If it is the only copy available I'd probably go through the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                  If you check online (google) there are ways to access the directory with adb without root, depending on how much effort you want to go through. If it is the only copy available I'd probably go through the trouble.
                  That was a loooong rabbit hole. What I did:

- enable developer options on my android appliance (they were hidden)
                  - enable usb debugging
                  - install sdk with adb on my machine
                  - use adb to connect to my box (through ethernet)
                  - tried using the shell to cd to the hstouch folder, but ls gave me permission denied
                  - run-as didn't work either, saying package is not debuggable
                  - so i used adb backup to download a backup file of the whole folder
                  - had to alter the headers of the file so it could be extracted
                  - extract gave some errors but gave me lots of files, including the xml I was looking for. Yay!

In not so good news, when opening the file with HSTouch Designer, it starts ok but ends up choking (app not responding). Maybe it is looking for file paths or files that ended up in a different location and that confuses it. Or maybe it doesn't recognize the new HS3 install or the old client. Will keep hammering on...

Thanks for suggesting this route.

Comment

Get yourself a copy of Windows Home Server 2011.
                    It's less than $50. Run it as a VM and it'll backup your pc nightly.
                    Plus, and this is the BIG plus, you get a free domain name with it so you can access your home remotely as easy as can be! Worth the $50 alone.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't invest in an end of life product. The security risks are high. YMMV.

Comment

Just in case this is useful for somebody else in the future: the screen definition xml files were at com.homeseer.touch/f and the hstouch server username and password were in plain text in the file com.homeseer.hstouch/sp/com.homeseer.hstouch_preferences.xml.

The designer needs to login to the server before loading the project. That takes care of the app-not-responding issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                          Personally I wouldn't invest in an end of life product. The security risks are high. YMMV.
                          It doesn't need internet access. Just block everything except the DNS. That's how mine is.
                          Where's the risk?
                          I don't understand why people need updates. It started with phone apps. If the app isn't constantly updated, people don't want it. But if it does what you need it to, why update it?

Comment

I think it's a little more complex than that. If you can articulate a compelling lifecycle management strategy in 6 words you're a better man than me.

Your "doesn't need Internet access" comment leads me to believe you're suggesting the "we're safe with risky practices inside the fortress" approach. The walls of the fortress protect me. I assume your Internet blackout comments don't extend to other devices inside your fortress, however. If you have a reasonable plan to prevent them from being a vector, good on you.

Security isn't the only consideration. Browsers, for example, are tightly coupled to web servers. As one progresses, so must the other.

Comment

You're missing the point. The PC doesn't get used. No browsing, no applications, nothing. Just backups, and a domain name. For $50.

And if you read your last post, which I agree with, then there really is no security. If someone wants to get in, they'll find a way.

Comment

Working...
                              X