Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to be notified if a given device disappears from the network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best way to be notified if a given device disappears from the network?

I have a few mission-critical devices and I'd love to get an email if one of them hasn't been heard of in some time (broke, got pulled out of an outlet, became unreachable, etc.). What's the best way to do that?

Depends of the type of network. If they are IP connected devices, there is/was a plugin called PHLocation that can tell you if an IP address is present or not. I used it years ago to test geofencing. It worked but I determined geofencing was not reliable enough for what I was wanting to do. The current status of that plugin is unknown to me.

Comment

Again if IP device there are at least 3 addons that can monitor them. UltraMon3, Jon00 Remote Computer Control & Network Monitor (HS2, HS3 & HS4), and BLLAN.

If it's not IP based, you could make sure you use outlets that have energy monitoring, Then create events that look for the energy usage to drop to 0.
      HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
      Number of Devices: 1005
      Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Sorry, I think I didn't explain my question well. These are all Z-wave devices - they have no separate IP connectivity (otherwise I can make a script to ping them via IP). They are things like alarm sirens, light switches, etc. I need to know if they drop connectivity off the Z-wave network.

Comment

Check out SDJ-Health plugin.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...ealth-stevemsj

Comment

Humm... z-wave dropping off? I have z-wave in 2 locations and have never seen that. However, all of mine are z-wave plus so powered devices are also repeaters. Why do you think it is happening?

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
              Humm... z-wave dropping off? I have z-wave in 2 locations and have never seen that. However, all of mine are z-wave plus so powered devices are also repeaters. Why do you think it is happening?
              Mostly they're not dropping off. But I occasionally have devices that get "hung" (crash?) and have to be unplugged and plugged back in to keep going. The biggest thing is that when it happens, there's no warning - the system doesn't seem to know when one of the devices hasn't been heard from in a long time and it's easy to get no warning and think that everything is fine for months when the sensor just went down.

Comment

Originally posted by mlevin77 View Post
                I have a few mission-critical devices and I'd love to get an email if one of them hasn't been heard of in some time (broke, got pulled out of an outlet, became unreachable, etc.). What's the best way to do that?
                You may have missed Zwolfpack's post above

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post

Whilst SDJ-health's primary purposes is monitoring and alerting on battery devices, it also has a completely separate use for scanning and alerting on all, or a selection, of your devices for lack of activity or invalid state. This is configurable per interface so for Z-Wave devices, as an example, it can scan for inactivity, poll any devices that have been inactive for the configured timescale to check they are still alive, and check for invalid state. It can produce failure or full reports showing the state of your devices and these can be emailed to you, sent by Pushover message, or any other notification system you have configured in HS. You can set up alerts based on the number of devices failing for each interface.

It may serve your purposes and is free to use. Look in the section on 'General Devices' in the guide. Note the 'General Devices' features are Off by default so need to be turned on from the Config page. If you have any questions or comments post in the SDJ-Health sub-forum.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X