Z-wave thermstat - safe from hacking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave thermstat - safe from hacking?

HI folks, my current thermostat appears to need replacement and I am contemplating a Z-wave one.
    However, while I have been using home automation devices since the 1980s, I am still reluctant to connect to a device that, if hacked, could cause significant problems and/or damage.
    Does anyone have any experience using Z-wave thermostats and are there any security concerns (above the paranoia level) that I need to be aware of?

Right now, I'm considering between a

Nortek 2Gig GoControl ZWave Thermostat
    and
    Honeywell Lyric T6 Pro Zwave Plus Thermostat

Any thoughts, opinions, related personal experiences are most welcome.

Cheers!
    -steve

-----------------------------------------------------

Current Date/Time: 8/11/2020 9:59:17 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V5 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 5 Days 3 Hours 30 Minutes 46 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.15.10
    Number of Devices: 242
    Number of Events: 212
    Available Threads: 399
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 1
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.5: CM15A
    3.0.0.71: EasyTrigger
    3.0.0.18: EnvCan
    3.0.2.0: Z-Wave

Anything can be "hacked" if someone wants to badly enough and knows what they are doing. That said, I can't imagine anyone putting in the required effort with so little to gain. There are easier ways for someone to cause you a really bad day. I would not (and do not) worry about this at all. You can also set min and max settable temperatures on the thermostat (not changeable by Z-wave) on most thermostats.
    Of the two you indicated, I would go with the Honeywell.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
      Anything can be "hacked" if someone wants to badly enough and knows what they are doing. That said, I can't imagine anyone putting in the required effort with so little to gain. There are easier ways for someone to cause you a really bad day. I would not (and do not) worry about this at all.
      ^^^ This. I do information security and risk management for a living... part of the threat assessment process is admitting that all because something *could* happen doesn't necessarily mean it *will* happen.

Comment

Yes, my kids hack mine all the time. The ability to change the setting from bed makes it an easy target
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

This is a really great reply - much thanks for taking the time to not just put the risk in perspective, but to also explain the hard limits (min/max) - the latter going a LONG way to my peace of mind.
          And, making the Honeywell recommendation as well.

Truly MUCH appreciated.
          -steven

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

^^^ This. I do information security and risk management for a living... part of the threat assessment process is admitting that all because something *could* happen doesn't necessarily mean it *will* happen.
            Awesome context and perspective setting.
            Thanks for taking the time to reply - it's very helpful for me.
            -steve

Comment

If I was worried I'd probably create one or more events:

IF thermostat changes to something screwy

THEN

Do something to mitigate or turn thermostat off
              Send an alert.

I, too, would think the chances of actually being hacked are infinitesimally small.
              HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
              Home Assistant 2024.3
              Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
              Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
              Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
              WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
              AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                Yes, my kids hack mine all the time. The ability to change the setting from bed makes it an easy target
                LOL. Truth. And as others have pointed out, we can implement counter-measures.

Then it becomes an arms-race of one-upmanship....

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

THEN

Send an alert.

I, too, would think the chances of actually being hacked are infinitesimally small.

Reading this was a Homer-D'oh moment - of course!
                  Thanks for reminding me of this.
                  -steve

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

THEN

Send an alert.

Yes, I do have something like this too. It's not for hacking concern, but more for concern about failed Z-wave transmissions or kids making changes directly at the thermostat(s).

Comment

Yes, I do have something like this too. It's not for hacking concern, but more for concern about failed Z-wave transmissions or kids making changes directly at the thermostat(s).
                      And just remember, the better thermostats have the ability to lock-out the local front-panel so family can't make unwanted changes.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

And just remember, the better thermostats have the ability to lock-out the local front-panel so family can't make unwanted changes.
                        Yes, but it's a pretty quick internet search for the sequence to unlock it...

Comment

The main type of hacking I worry about is "pre-hacking": devices with internet access that come with back doors that allow their manufacturers to seize control of them. I'm thinking here of Huawei and Hikvision, for example. Not so much for the damage they can do to me, but to the damage they could do to others with DDOS attacks, for example. There is no public evidence that these companies have such back doors, but the Chinese government requires Chinese companies to cooperate with them in such matters.

Comment

I would expect that with a zwave thermostat you're biggest realistic security concern would be any wifi devices, online services, homeseer, and anyone with physical access to your network or property. There is a way to hack into your zwave network itself, but you have to be within zwave range. I also recall a way to hack a zwave lock, but the hack had to be performed while you were including the lock in your network and was an earlier generation of locks that had been updated at the time of the video. I also found an interesting video of someone using an audio transducer on your window to tell alexa or google to unlock your door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JK-jrLd1yc

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-you-mi...for-intrusion/
                            HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                            Number of Devices: 1005
                            Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Yes, but it's a pretty quick internet search for the sequence to unlock it...
                              EcoBee (what I use now, ditched the Z-wave thermostats) and Nests have PIN codes.

Comment

Working...
                              X