Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error Exception creating IE object in GetURLIE: Cannot create ActiveX component.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error Exception creating IE object in GetURLIE: Cannot create ActiveX component.

I am issuing commands to a third party web based app to control some devices from Tuya. Working fine up until about a week ago and now I get this error in the log.

Tried restarting HS3, etc. and it continues to give me problems. The command works fine when entered into the browser on the HS3 machine. I know that is not exactly the same as issuing the command through HS3.

Here is the command.

&result=hs.GetURLie("https://sequematic.com/trigger-custom-webhook/*PASSWORD*/31845",FALSE)

Any thoughts on why it would suddenly start failing? Thanks.

Is related to this? : https://www.microsoft.com/security/b...n-my-computer/

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Not unless someone snuck in and installed an ActiveX control on my HS3 computer which is headless and stored in a rack. Thanks.

Comment

This should be from the browser you are trying to access that link from. (maybe your desktop?)
        Sometimes the Antivirus uninstalls it. It was commonly installed with X 10.

I had antivirus uninstall from my server and that's when I stopped using X 10. I couldn't be bothered. There are cool protocols like Zigbee out there.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...ex-fatal-error

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

ok, without changing anything, it is now working this morning. I believe this has happened to me before. I confirmed that the URL command was working from the Homeseer machine when it was not working from within homeseer. However, I was issuing the command from chrome on that machine and this command uses IE. So next time this is an issue I suppose I have to load IE on the homeseer machine and test using that? I recall that I switched from using the GETURL to GETURLIE in the past because I was having issues with GETURL. Related to this - what browser mechanism does GETURL use?

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
            ok, without changing anything, it is now working this morning. I believe this has happened to me before. I confirmed that the URL command was working from the Homeseer machine when it was not working from within homeseer. However, I was issuing the command from chrome on that machine and this command uses IE. So next time this is an issue I suppose I have to load IE on the homeseer machine and test using that? I recall that I switched from using the GETURL to GETURLIE in the past because I was having issues with GETURL. Related to this - what browser mechanism does GETURL use?
            In days gone by the need to get stuff using the IE method I think was because it sent things with the client headers and the like so the web sites thought that the request to get images/data originated from an IE browser rather than some sort of bot or automated mechanism. Now times have moved on I would imagine that web sites are less inclined to refuse requests with unusual/different client headers because of the increase in odd or different browsers on phones etc. I imagine soon as IE dies or is removed then the GetURLIE call will cease working completely.

The GetURL method I imagine just uses the standard stock .net routines to get data, if you encounter issues with this then it is probably to do with the recipient site. Using a tool like Postman or some online tools can help you debug what you need to send to get the data back that you are expecting.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. This is helpful, especially understanding the ie piece. I am not sure where the issue lies. I am guessing it could be that the host site didn't like the call from Homeseer based on the information it was getting through the GETURL command but was fine when I sent the same command directly through a browser. Then something changed on the host site and it suddenly was fine with the GETURL commands again. I don't see how something could have changed on my Homeseer end to cause it to not work and then work again.

Comment

Working...
              X