major problem. "database disk image is malformed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

major problem. "database disk image is malformed"

ok, after two days of getting my Insteon working again after finally replacing a blown HUB with a PLM.... I was installing new Insteon and Zwave devices when I had a power outage to my HS PC. I have a UPS on order, just hasn't gotten here yet/ anyway, I had a ton of errors in the startup... I went through settings and plug-ins and reset and corrected missing data..... but the errors are still happening. I went to restore from backups, and lof course the wonderful Paragon backup software I had been using to back up the drives, doesn;t recognize it's own data files as backups.... so no backups.
    here is what I am getting throughout the startup
    Click image for larger version

Name:	database.PNG
Views:	347
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1432923
    PLEASE tell me there is something I can do other than a clean re-install.

Ouch. The old "a backup is not a backup until its verified" problem. I dont have a solution but it sure is a cautionary reminder. What are the exact errors you're seeing?

Edit: Sorry, my phone wasnt showing image. Anything more in application logs?

Seems odd BU software does recognize its own files. Have you contacted their support?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Fortunately the LOG database to which the highlighted message pertains is separate from the devices/events database.

You don't say what edition of HomeSeer you are running, nor what OS. Presuming this isn't the Pi edition,
      - The log database is kept in the Logs sub-folder under the HS root. Look for a file named HomeSeerLog.hsd
      - Stop the HS application
      - Rename HomeSeerLog.hsd to something else
      - Restart the HS application. It will create an fresh copy of HomeSeerLog.hsd.

Comment

Try shutting down HS, deleting your log file from your HS install directory/Logs/HomeSeerLog.hsd, then restart HS.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sorry, very frustrated. HSPro on Win10Pro.
          i just found the power issue is from a switch on a totally different circuit somehow tripping a gfi on the circuit with my HS PC. not tripping anything else, and it happens when i control the switch remotely.

thanks for the responses, i shut down HS, renamed the log file, and it seems to have fixed it. So now i'm going to shut down, turn off PC, uninstall that switch, and wait for the zwave bulbs i ordered and put that in with a locked in place switch.

i guess it wasn't such a major problem after all, i just panicked after all the work in the last few days.

thanks again

Comment

Just FYI: Homeseer creates a backup of the device/event database every time the program restarts. Those can be a lifesaver.
            I'd also recommend using the BLBackup plug-in to make a full backup of your HS directory regularly. If you are making lots of changes, then at least daily.
            There are lots of free backup utilities. I like Macrium Reflect. You can use it to make a full copy of your system or even to clone your drive.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              Just FYI: Homeseer creates a backup of the device/event database every time the program restarts. Those can be a lifesaver.
              I'd also recommend using the BLBackup plug-in to make a full backup of your HS directory regularly. If you are making lots of changes, then at least daily.
              There are lots of free backup utilities. I like Macrium Reflect. You can use it to make a full copy of your system or even to clone your drive.
              I second Uncle Michael's recommendation of Macrium Refect. My HA system does a full disk image to an external drive every Monday at 1am to capture new baselines.

These images can be opened like a virtual drive to extract a few files, or used to restore the entire system to a replacement hard drive or upgrade to SSD, OS and all installed sw and settings.

The images can also be converted to virtual machines and run on Hyper-V.

Best of all it's free for non-commercial use and can be run on a schedule with various full, differential, or incremental backup strategies and multiple generations saved. Just test them from time to time.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks guys! I will look into Macrium. the one I am/was using (paragon) I was using cause I had used it to make restore media ISOs and then set it to do regular backups.
                unfortunately, while the ISOs worked fine after setting up a computer, the regular interval backups since have not.

I have a dual drive raid 0 that I save backups too, so I can hopefully save myself from a drive failure of the backups.

and yes, I will do some tests after using it.

thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X