Moving HS3 to another pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving HS3 to another pc

Today my old pc with windows 7 has died after electricity problems in our surrounding. The hard drive works well, but the pc to not works anymore. Now I found by a friend the same old pc and pushed the hard disk into it. After I changed the mac number in my modem, everything works well again.
    But now I have to change my HS3 to another pc. I don't like to read in all devices, but I hope someone can advise or point me how I can make a copy or backup of all HS3 stuff. So I read everything in another pc with windows 10.
    Wim

Make a full backup copy of your current HS3 directory and all its sub directories (make sure HS3 is not running).
    Do a fresh install of HS3 on the new PC. After installing it, (shut HS3 down if running) copy the old HS3 backup over the new HS3 directory.
    I think you may then have some license issues that you will need HS's help to resolve.

Comment

I've backed up the full HS3 folder in the past, installed HS3 fresh on the new system but dont create devices or configure anything. Then shut it down and copy the whole folder from the old system over the top. This worked for me but you may have to configure some attached hubs and other physical HA devices the plug ins talk to. A good example is if a USB device was COM4 but becomes COM3 or something like that.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

One trap to be aware of: If you move from a 32 bit OS to 64 bit OS, the program directory name is not the same. Be sure to copy into the proper directory. You will also need to make some manual changes to links within HS as well, references to scripts in events, for example.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

When I moved from a 32 bit OS to 64 bit, I made note of the exact path that was used on the old system, and installed HS to that exact path on the new one. Which will mean that you may need to override the default path when doing the new install. Then fire up HS on the new system (so that everything is completely set up), then shut it down again.

Then just copy over the entire directory from the old to the new, and it should now work. There are a couple of "locked" files that could not be overwritten when installing the files onto the new system. Just skip overwriting them, as they are code and won't effect anything by using the new versions.

Comment

Thanks all for your information.
            In a few weeks I will have time to make the movement. So I can make the change in a easy way by only making a copy of the old map and move everything into the same path on a windows 10 machine.

Comment

As an extra measure of safety, always backup the entire system before you start something like this. I use Macrium Reflect Free for my HA system. It lets me transfer to new drives or open the backup and extract legacy files. It can run whole disk images and partition images, or just changes in differential or incremental form. I'm using it to clone my whole system before upgrading from HS3 to HS4.

Comment

On my old pc HS3 is installed in c:/Program files/Homeseer of Windows 7. This is a 32 bits map. Now I like to move from a 32 bit OS to 64 bit, but I can't installed HS3 in the same path as before in windows 7. In windows 10 it will be c:/Program Files (86)/Homeseer.
                Today I have tried to install HS3 in the same c:/program files/Homeseer in windows 10. That is a 64 bits map. I have asked before to install into c:/Program Files/Homeseer. But that will not happen. The HS3 will be installed in c:/Program Files (x86)/Homeseer. So I have another path as on my old pc..
                Will this still works when I install HS3 and move everything from my old pc to c:/Program Files (86)/Homeseer in windows 10?

Comment

Wim,

If you first install HS3 in the new directory and then copy the backup (of the same version) over the new installation everything should start up fine. The main dependency that might cause troubles is the events that call scripts. Internally those events store the full path to the script. So if you know which event is calling a script you go to this event and check the event. It will show it cannot find the script. If you change it, it will open the correct script folder and you can re-select the script.
                  On the same level you might have to check eventual scripts you wrote yourself. If you have been using the full path to HS hard coded, you will have to change those as well to the new path.

Other then these two points you should have no problems.

Wim
                  -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Today everything has be moved to my new pc with windows 10. And everything works fine. I had to make a new mac-address in my modem for the new pc with Homeseer and several usb ports on the pc have changed.
                      After this everything works nice and very quick with the new pc. The Homeseer Mobile works also again.
                      So I am very happy with all the info from all the people here.

Comment

Working...
                      X