Six Months On with HomeSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six Months On with HomeSeer

I'm coming up on the six-month mark using HomeSeer and I can say that it has been a good experience. I have HS3 installed on a Kubuntu Linux laptop and I use Z-Wave as my primary method for controlling devices (via an Aeotec Z-Wave Stick). I had previously use two Vera Controllers, a Vera Edge for Z-Wave and an older Vera Lite for control of a robotic relay that actuates water valves. The motivation for the change was the fact that I had Jasco switches that were beginning to fail and the features of the HS devices appealed to me. Since I was going to go to the trouble of re-working part of the Z-Wave network I decided to give HomeSeer a try.

The installation went smoothly as did the inclusion of devices from a diverse group of manufacturers including Leviton, Fibaro, GE/Jasco, Aeotec and HS. I use plugins for UltraGCIR3, the Concord security panel, the Bond Bridge, ImperiHome (which is still working well for me), Weather, and EasyTrigger. I tried a beta plugin designed to operate the Ethernet relay board I use for water shutoff, but I couldn't get it to work. I was able to write simple scripts to insert into events to operate the board so it wasn't an issue.

I spent years programming HAI Omni panels, Concord panels, Lutron, URC, Crestron, and AMX, so the programming and the GUI seemed pretty intuitive to me. It is certainly more straightforward than many "pro" systems which tend to obfuscate simple transfer functions in order to reinforce dealer exclusivity (and to charge for training and "certification"). That being said, I think the process might seem a bit overwhelming for users with no such experience.

There are still many aspects and capabilities of HS that I have yet to explore, but my impression so far has been very positive. The system runs well and does what I want it to do with very little fuss. I would have had no problem implementing HS as a control option for clients.

I also like the fact that the system can be pushed to near the limits of current HA technology if one is so inclined.

Finally, I think the community support for HS is second to none. The forums are not only a wealth of information, they can be pretty entertaining.
Working...
X