Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using RING z-Wave devices directly with HS3PRO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using RING z-Wave devices directly with HS3PRO?

I've been looking for an answer, can't seem to find a clear explanation.
    I do not want to use RING as an alarm system, I have a killer Vista system, but I am looking for an outside motion for my porch.... and I see RING has outdoor motions and they are listed as Z-wave.
    I see lots of discussions about integrating RING alarms systems with IFTTT and others to alert HS....
    but I want to know will HS using Z-wave see and enroll a RING Z-wave motion into it's controller as just another Z-wave device?
    and if so can it be used to report motion directly to HS?

My understanding is "z-wave is z-wave is z-wave" so any z-wave device is supposed to work with any z-wave controller.... is that the case with RING devices?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

If listed here : https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...ted-descending then you have a chance.
    The other option if you already use Node-RED with HomeSeer is to try this : https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-...b-ringdoorbell

I don't know much about it but looks like it was last updated 2 years, 7 months ago but could still work.

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thanks Eman but I think you missed what I was asking. I don't have or want to use the RING service, doorbell or alarm, I just am wondering can I take a RING zwave motion detector and enroll it in HS and use it as a motion detector directly.

Comment

RogerL , if you Google you'll see that Ring branded Z-wave devices should work with other Z-wave hubs. In order to use Z-wave on their packaging the device has to be Z-wave certified, meaning it will inter-operate with any other Z-wave certified controller. The only caveat is that it can be used with one hub at a time in terms of direct Z-wave control.

Comment

Thanks TC1, all the google results i got are all about adding other zwave devices to RING or integrating a RING system to communicate with another system somehow.
          seems no one is just using the RING devices generically with other controllers. I think its cause even though they have "zwave plus" on the package they also put a RING HUB is required.

i just went ahead and ordered a RING 1st gen zwave motion from eBay, i'll test it out and give a full report.

Comment

Well..... RING should NOT be listed as a "zwave certified" devices. They do not work with other zwave controllers. I got the zwave motion, and there is no way to include it in a non-RING system. It uses a barcode scan to link it to the controller.

so the motion options are still extremely limited.

Comment

Unfortunately same results with the 2nd Gen. I was using the Z-Wave Plugin with Security S2 Support and after trying to include the device I see a solid red light which means the pairing failed.

Their guide alludes to this being possible but I'm not sure if it's only possible if you also have the ring hub.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar...ctor_Zwave.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X