100% CPU utilization by HS3Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% CPU utilization by HS3Pro?

ok, due to circumstances I decided to move my HS3 PRO setup off of my WIN10 64bit server that it was sharing with my NVR cause the cameras were taking up so much resources it was causing HS3 to sputter....for lack of a better term.

So I setup a desktop i had with a Pentium D 2.8Ghz CPU with 4GB RAM, put in a RAID1 set of 2 500GB HDD with a clean install of Windows 10 32bit and successfully moved HS over to it.
    I installed HS3 from a download as a new install on the desktop.
    then I shut down HS3 on the old server, copied it's directory completely to my file server.
    then copied it from my file server to the desktop, maintaining the "Program Files (x86)" path from the server on the desktop even though it's now on 32-bit.
    Booted up HS and let it go through it's thing, tons of errors (hardware missing mainly) but it loaded up with my settings and looked good. So to speak.
    I moved the USB devices from the old server to the desktop and then after figuring out the new COM assignments, went into the plug-ins and adjusted where necessary.
    Then I shut down, reboot, and launched HS3 with no errors in the startup...but it seemed sluggish.

Looking at the Performance Monitor and the Task Manager, both showed 100% CPU utilization with HS3 exe running around 50-60% itself.
    When I shut down HS I get a CPU utilization of 8-10% just running. there's not really anything else on the machine yet.

Now I know i didn't load it on as good a machine as it was on, but HS should run fine on this machine with these specs .... shouldn't it?

what am i missing or did i do something wrong in the move? Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Roger

The HS environment was changed so assumptions/dependencies may no longer work expected. I believe the homeseer.hsd file is where keeps its info. If you remove it and start HS3 then you can assess if CPU is dependent on your prior configuration.

The other obvious thing to evaluate is using Program Files for the install location on you 32 bit OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      The HS environment was changed so assumptions/dependencies may no longer work expected. I believe the homeseer.hsd file is where keeps its info. If you remove it and start HS3 then you can assess if CPU is dependent on your prior configuration.

The other obvious thing to evaluate is using Program Files for the install location on you 32 bit OS.
      Thanks Michael, I will give the removal of the homeseer.hsd a try first.
      I kept the directory structure the same as that is what the forum posts I read said was a common problem, not having it match the old computer.

Thanks for the help, I'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post

well I took performance measurements before and after loading HS.... the difference is obvious.
        So then I removed the HOMESEERDATA.HSD file (renamed it) and started HS and it had a better performance, until I went looking around and noticed 600 or so of my devices gone.

So I am trying something and doing a restore from a backup file to replace the info instead of just replacing the HSD file back.
        I'll see how that goes. I may follow back up with HST support with the performance graphs and all the data since they had confirmed the process for the move before I did it.

I don't see how the directory names would have any effect on performance, I mean you can assign the install to any folder you want when you install it.
        I just made sure the new HDD had the same structure for the files being relocated from the other computer.

Comment

May I ask why you've installed Windows 10 32-bit on a Pentium D? While that is an admittedly old processor, it supports the 64-bit instruction set and should run Windows 10 64-bit. Of course, one thing I can't say is whether other peripheral devices on that box like USB chipsets are supported by 64-bit drivers.

Back to the 32-bit system you have: Before copying anything on from your old system, start up a fresh install of HomeSeer. Are you seeing 100% utilization then?

BTW, what DVR software are you running? If it's BlueIris, there are ways to get it to behave with far lower CPU utilization. My HA box is a i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz and 32GB running both HS3 and BlueIris. My CPU idles along at about 34% and 26-27% of that is BlueIris. HS3 is 2% CPU. I have 6 1080P cameras and 2 4K cameras on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post
            May I ask why you've installed Windows 10 32-bit on a Pentium D? While that is an admittedly old processor, it supports the 64-bit instruction set and should run Windows 10 64-bit. Of course, one thing I can't say is whether other peripheral devices on that box like USB chipsets are supported by 64-bit drivers.

Back to the 32-bit system you have: Before copying anything on from your old system, start up a fresh install of HomeSeer. Are you seeing 100% utilization then?

BTW, what DVR software are you running? If it's BlueIris, there are ways to get it to behave with far lower CPU utilization. My HA box is a i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz and 32GB running both HS3 and BlueIris. My CPU idles along at about 34% and 26-27% of that is BlueIris. HS3 is 2% CPU. I have 6 1080P cameras and 2 4K cameras on it.
            The machine had previously failed the processor requirement test for win10, missing one of those required features for 64but. The machine has been runninv 32bit since win10 came out. I just did a fresh install to move HS to it.

i'm actually about to blow out the hard drive and start over with a reload of the OS snd fresh move of HS.... so we'll see since i didnt fo any testing before the move previously.

i'm actuslly using ContaCam for my NVR and its nig integrated with HS, they just shared the server.

thanks.

Comment

Well thanks to all who offered help... but I have given up on the HS move. I'm gonna move the NVR software instead, i bought a new (to me) server for the NVR to reside on.

Comment

Working...
              X