Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to repair my PC without losing HS3 stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to repair my PC without losing HS3 stuff?

I've had HS3 working great on a Windows7 system (via Aeon USB stick z-wave dongle). It was running short on space last night, so I used Windows' own Disk Cleanup - and bamo, right after that, the system won't boot anymore... So, I am trying to figure out a way to repair or upgrade and still have all my HS3 settings. I do have a backup of the Homeseer3 folder (although not the very latest on). Windows7 repair disk doesn't seem to be working. I guess I could just install Windows10, which has the benefit of being more up-to-date for security fixes etc., but then how do I get my stuff back - I would install HS3, and then copy what - the entire Homeseer3 folder backup over the new fresh one? What do I need, to get everything back to being exactly like it was? Should I for example have exported from the Z-wave interface screen?

Image the drive first to same sized drive. Then run a Windows 7 repair (installation - repair) which will save your stuff and rewrite the windows 7 OS. You should be back to a working HS3.

Then install Windows 10 on your spare disk and install HS3 on it...the copy over your current backup of the directory.

Personally like Windows 2016 server (no fluff) or Windows 10 Enterprise (no fluff) better than Windows 10 Pro desktop. Running everything in Linux these days though except for the Windows servers (2 Windows 2016) + 2
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

> Then run a Windows 7 repair (installation - repair)

sorry, exactly how? I have a Windows 7 install CD - I put that in and reboot and it will give me the option of installation/repair?

Comment

Here is the step by step.

How To: Windows 7 Repair Install

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Personally like Windows 2016 server (no fluff) or Windows 10 Enterprise (no fluff) better than Windows 10 Pro desktop.
          Windows 2016 server is end of life, right - does it still get security updates? And Windows 10 Enterprise seems to be subscription service? What do you recommend - when my new PC shows up, with Win10 Pro installed on it, should I wipe it and go back to Windows 2016 server, or is there a way to pay once and bring it up to Windows 10 Enterprise without a monthly subscription?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Here is the step by step.

How To: Windows 7 Repair Install

But it says "You can only do a repair install from within Windows 7." - my Win7 won't boot, so how could I do this? or am I missing how it works?

Comment

Originally posted by mlevin77 View Post

But it says "You can only do a repair install from within Windows 7." - my Win7 won't boot, so how could I do this? or am I missing how it works?
              If you can boot from the Win 7 DVD then do so. Then select "Repair Computer". It should allow you to repair the Master Boot Record (MBR) on the disk so it boots again.

As for OS choice, everyone has their own opinions on this. Some like everything to be 'lite' or running on a VM. I would only say you can only get support from HST if you run it on their recommended OS's. Windows 2016 is not one of them I believe.
              Jon

Comment

Windows 2016 still gets updates and is reasonably priced these days. It is a server and not meant to be a desktop operating system. Less baggage.

As Jon mentions above HST has OS recommendations.

I still run Windows 7 embedded in a Virtual Box for Microsoft SAPI speech on an Ubuntu 20.04 server running Homeseer 4 in Ubuntu.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I love my Windows 2016. It's been the most stable version of all that I've run including NT4, Win2k, Win2k3
                  And yes, I get updates on the 2nd Tuesday of each month still...
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

> Then install Windows 10 on your spare disk and install HS3 on it...the copy over your current backup of the directory.

ok I did that, and it's running and I see my stuff but it's not connecting to the Zwave interface stick. This is what I see:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 5.03.32 PM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.5 KB ID:	1500355

I've tried pressing on the yellow box - it thinks for a while and then comes back with yellow box with red circle on it. Log shows:
                    ct-04 5:38:26 AM Z-Wave Warning New Interface: The serial port (COM4) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
                    Oct-04 5:38:26 AM Z-Wave New Interface: The Z-Wave Command Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
                    Oct-04 5:38:26 AM Z-Wave New Interface: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Oct-04 5:38:26 AM Z-Wave Initializing Z-Wave interface New Interface (Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Stick) on COM4
                    Oct-04 5:38:26 AM Z-Wave New Interface: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Oct-04 5:38:26 AM Z-Wave New Interface: ============================================================ ==========
                    Oct-04 5:38:22 AM Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Interface New Interface (Node 1) on Network 018523E1 FAILED initialization with the message: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface., will keep trying.
                    Oct-04 5:38:22 AM Z-Wave Error New Interface: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
                    Oct-04 5:38:22 AM Z-Wave Error New Interface: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface.
                    Oct-04 5:38:22 AM Z-Wave Error New Interface: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
                    Oct-04 5:38:06 AM Z-Wave Warning New Interface: The serial port (COM4) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
                    Oct-04 5:38:06 AM Z-Wave New Interface: The Z-Wave Command Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
                    Oct-04 5:38:06 AM Z-Wave New Interface: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Oct-04 5:38:06 AM Z-Wave Initializing Z-Wave interface New Interface (Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Stick) on COM4
                    Oct-04 5:38:06 AM Z-Wave New Interface: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Oct-04 5:38:06 AM Z-Wave New Interface: ============================================================ ==========
                    Oct-04 5:38:02 AM Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Interface New Interface (Node 1) on Network 018523E1 FAILED initialization with the message: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface., will keep trying.
                    Oct-04 5:38:02 AM Z-Wave Error New Interface: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
                    Oct-04 5:38:02 AM Z-Wave Error New Interface: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface.
                    Oct-04 5:38:02 AM Z-Wave Error New Interface: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
                    Oct-04 5:37:59 AM SDJ-Health Warning - Z-Wave device #223 poll failed.
                    Oct-04 5:37:47 AM Z-Wave Warning New Interface: The serial port (COM4) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
                    Oct-04 5:37:47 AM Z-Wave New Interface: The Z-Wave Command Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
                    the time is wrong too - I fixed it on the PC, and the main page of HS3 is showing it correctly, but log keeps adding messages with the old (incorrect) time.

How do I make it work with the USB Z-wave interface? it looks like my new Win10 machine doesn't have a driver for the Aeotech USB stick, nor can I seem to find where to tell it that USB = COM4 (I seem to recall something like that needed to be done?).

Comment

Answered you in your duplicated post. You need the Aeotec driver. Look in the system32 directory of your old backup.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                        Answered you in your duplicated post. You need the Aeotec driver. Look in the system32 directory of your old backup.
                        argh I don't have a backup of system32 - only of HomeSeer3... I guess it's not enough to back up HomeSeer3 folder.

Comment

Not really, normally you wouldn't need to backup system32 if you have done a full back of your system every so often. Those files don't change much unless M$ releases updates or you install something. I only mentioned it because that's where the installer will put the drivers for devices.

Once you are stable, I'd get something like Acronis or another full drive backup utility and set it up to automatically do a full backup every few weeks and then incremental or differentials of anything else that has changed every day or two. I have three separate backups setup. To my NAS, to a recovery USB drive and to another internal spinning HD. So generally I'm only about 1 day away from a previous backup depending on when I need to go back. Sometimes, the most current backup is only 3-4 hours old and something changed before that so I have to go farther back in the backup chain to find a file or directory before I goofed it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X