HELP - Computer completely Fried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP - Computer completely Fried

Its been a while- Installed HS3 pro 5 years ago, set it, forget it. NOW the worst. HD Failure. What on earth do I do. Can I just download HS3 on a new computer and plug my z-wave stick and be good, or am I toast haha. Is anything backed up on the web, or was I supposed to do that locally.

SOO sad right now!

Originally posted by pdwatermelon View Post
    Its been a while- Installed HS3 pro 5 years ago, set it, forget it. NOW the worst. HD Failure. What on earth do I do. Can I just download HS3 on a new computer...
    Yes!

and plug my z-wave stick and be good,
    No! You've lost everything since your last saved backup (If you have one, you can restore that, but will have lost everything since the last saved backup.)

...or am I toast haha. Is anything backed up on the web, or was I supposed to do that locally.
    Yes, it was for you to manually back up locally (or otherwise).
    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

OH my goodness! So Did my Z-wave stick at least save all the connections, or will I have to read every switch again as well. (i only have 100) This is a mess, haha, I had HS designer with custom design - Guessing I will have to redo that -

LAST thing, I can't find download for HS3 PRO only HS4 now? Is that available?

Comment

I had a catastrophic failure when HS4 destroyed the my device DB. There is some information stored on the z-wave dongle but trying to associate that information with my devices in HS was too much work with the risk something will still go wrong. So I ended up doing a new installation, de-register all my z-wave devices and include them all again. It was a HUGE pain but probably was the best option I had at that point. Of course, all of the HSTouch screens had to be redone as well because the device IDs changed. I am still recovering from this mishap more than a year ago but I also did a bunch of improvements in the process. So backup your setup locally and to the cloud and you probably want to keep a version history just in case you get hit by ransomware.

Comment

OH my goodness! So Did my Z-wave stick at least save all the connections, or will I have to read every switch again as well. (i only have 100) This is a mess, haha, I had HS designer with custom design - Guessing I will have to redo that -
          Mulu has been there and done that, I'd use him as a source.

It is still around. See here.
          Last edited by ewkearns; January 30, 2022, 02:53 PM. Reason: Poor cut and paste job.
          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
          Home Assistant 2024.3
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Thanks so much for the help! gonna be rough, but its for sure on me! oops

Comment

Restore from your last full backup, then restore from your last incremental. Then you can read network from the Z-Stick and recreate the Z-Wave database.

Comment

Its been a while- Installed HS3 pro 5 years ago, set it, forget it. NOW the worst. HD Failure. What on earth do I do. Can I just download HS3 on a new computer and plug my z-wave stick and be good, or am I toast haha. Is anything backed up on the web, or was I supposed to do that locally.

SOO sad right now!
                One possibility to try. You may still be able to read information off your drive, just not boot from it. Use a caddy to make it a USB external drive and see if you can retrieve any info from it from another computer. (Search for "recover data from a damaged hard drive".) If you are really fortunate your entire HS directory may still be intact.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

If you go with HS4 I'd recommend setting up the automated backups so this shouldn't happen again. You can also setup auto cloud backups if you opt for a myHomeSeer Premium Plan. This will save your bacon in cases like these.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    One possibility to try. You may still be able to read information off your drive, just not boot from it. Use a caddy to make it a USB external drive and see if you can retrieve any info from it from another computer. (Search for "recover data from a damaged hard drive".) If you are really fortunate your entire HS directory may still be intact.
                    That's a good point. I did have some limited success recovering a broken HDD before. It's many years ago so I don't recall what software I used. Many of the files were corrupted and many did have incorrect file extensions but I got some of the stuff back. I definitely would give this a try but otherwise safe yourself the time jumping through hoops and then still not getting it quite right. Btw, when I did that I also upgraded my z-wave stick from the 500 series (housing started to fall apart) to the new 700 series.

Comment

Spinrite at Steve Gibson's GRC site is the gold standard for hard drive recovery. You might give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                      X