• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schlage BE468 no complete communication with network

Schlage BE468
    Homeseer 3, zwave plug-in version: 3.0.10.0
    Interface Model: HomeSeer SmartStick +
    Using new Energizer lithium batteries.

I have a Schlage lock that will not fully communicate with the z-wave controller. I am getting battery/lock status, but optimizing, auditing, testing communication fails consistently. The lock opens and closes manually fine.

What would be some good troubleshooting first steps?

HomeSeer was NOT able to send a frame to the node.
    HomeSeer attempted two-way communication with the node to test routing and was NOT successful - method used: MFG Information

You need to have the lock either directly routed to your SmartStick+ or through a node that supports Beaming technology like an AEOTEC Repeater. These locks go into battery saver mode and go to sleep. The only way to wake them up to check the status, is with Beaming support that most Z-Wave devices pre-700 series do not have. Check your lock node in the NODES page. If it's not connected to your SmartStick try to set it to that if it's not too far away. Or you can check to see if any of your other closer devices have Beaming tech built in.. Failing that pick up an AEOTEC Repeater. Add it to the network so that it's about 1/2 way between the SmartStick and the lock. Make sure the AEOTEC is routed directly to the SmartStick and then change the node routing in your lock to route it through the AEOTEC.

As if by magic, it will start working like a champ. The only reason I gave you these instructions is that I see your on the stable version of HS3 with the HS3 ZWave plugin which supports manual command path routing which was pulled in HS4. If you were on HS4, you would be up the creek without a paddle.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
      You need to have the lock either directly routed to your SmartStick+ or through a node that supports Beaming technology like an AEOTEC Repeater. These locks go into battery saver mode and go to sleep. The only way to wake them up to check the status, is with Beaming support that most Z-Wave devices pre-700 series do not have. Check your lock node in the NODES page. If it's not connected to your SmartStick try to set it to that if it's not too far away. Or you can check to see if any of your other closer devices have Beaming tech built in.. Failing that pick up an AEOTEC Repeater. Add it to the network so that it's about 1/2 way between the SmartStick and the lock. Make sure the AEOTEC is routed directly to the SmartStick and then change the node routing in your lock to route it through the AEOTEC.
      I attached a picture of the node page information for this lock, I believe it is connected to the smart stick? Is that enough?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Schlage lock.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.5 KB ID:	1574536

How would I check my other devices to see if they have "Beaming tech?"

As if by magic, it will start working like a champ. The only reason I gave you these instructions is that I see your on the stable version of HS3 with the HS3 ZWave plugin which supports manual command path routing which was pulled in HS4. If you were on HS4, you would be up the creek without a paddle.
      That sounds like I will have to buy new devices when I upgrade to HS4? If true why would Homeseer remove a technology feature that would force its user to make expensive investments to replace functional zwave devices?​

Comment

I did a comparison between my 3 Schlage locks. The other two I have are newer and more reliable, and I noticed that the polling intervals are different between the 2 newer ones and old one. The old one doesn't have any polling enabled, except for the battery, while the other ones have all of them enabled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schlage comparison.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	1574555
        Are they supposed to be at 20 minute polling, seems like that would impact the battery more, but may also explain why they are more reliable?

Comment

I've got multiple Schlage BE469s that are almost a decade old, none of them need polling except for the battery child feature, which by default should be set to 12 hours. Setting polling otherwise will dramatically reduce battery life. When there is proper Z-wave network operation then the locks will report instant status to HS.

Comment

George or anyone else. What are your thoughts on the two questions posted in the 3rd post in this thread?

BTW I disabled polling on all the locks except for the 12hr battery poll.

Comment

Sorry, just saw this. It would help if you could check the neighbor nodes to see if they support beaming. I know it might be tedious but if the current route (33) is not a beaming node that would cause the problem. If you look at the nodes page for the other neighbors and find one that says it supports beaming, try changing the route to that node and let us know if it starts to work. You might have to manually wake up the lock for the initial communications to start through the new node.

And I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the polling settings. If you set the polling it still won't work unless it's beaming neighbor wakes it up to poll it.

Comment

f you look at the nodes page for the other neighbors and find one that says it supports beaming,
                George Thank you for the help. I attached the node details for node 33. Which field would you check to determine if it supports beaming?

Name:	Node 33.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1575327

try changing the route to that node and let us know if it starts to work. You might have to manually wake up the lock for the initial communications to start through the new node.

How would one manually set the primary communication node for a device?​

Comment

It's where is says Supported in Blue. It will say Beaming if it supports beaming. To set your lock, pick a node that says Beaming supported, copy down it's number, go to the lock node and enter the number where it says Set Route.

Comment

It's where is says Supported in Blue. It will say Beaming if it supports beaming. To set your lock, pick a node that says Beaming supported, copy down it's number, go to the lock node and enter the number where it says Set Route.
                    George I checked all my devices and not a single one listed "Beaming" in the supported section. I tried setting the lock to use node 1, which is the smartstick, but it won't stay on it.

So I am going to purchase a Aeotec repeater like you originally suggested and see if that works.

Is this an appropriate model to achieve the desired goal?

https://aeotec.com/products/aeotec-range-extender-7/

Comment

I purchased this repeater, was it the correct model?

https://aeotec.com/products/aeotec-range-extender-7/

I am not seeing "beaming" listed in the "Supported" section, is that an issue?

Name:	Aeon Repeater.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1577673

Also, When I "set route" on Node 5 to node 46, which is the Schlage door lock I am having issues with, it doesn't stay set to node 46. Is that normal? I was under the impression it would hard lock the node to use that set route, but doesn't appear to work that way.

Comment

Working...
                      X