No announcement yet.

HS3 Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was thinking of using Wine. Any experience with SAPI on Wine that you can share?

A couple of years ago I tried getting SAPI to run with Wine and was successful with it. At the time though I could not get speaker dot exe to run. Recently been playing with PlayonLinux and did get my OmniPro PCA program running on it. I did not try SAPI.

Going to give it another try on my Linux laptop maybe.

For an Oracle VB you can run a thin / lite XP or use embedded XP. I currently run embedded XP on my Homeseer touchscreens and it works fine with speaker dot exe and a few voice fonts.

You can build a 4-8 Gb Wintel VB. My current Linux HS3 is using way less than 8 Gb so I do not think you will have a problem with an add of a 32bit lite XP with SAPI.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      So I was thinking of using Wine. Any experience with SAPI on Wine that you can share?

A couple of years ago I tried getting SAPI to run with Wine and was successful with it. At the time though I could not get speaker dot exe to run. Recently been playing with PlayonLinux and did get my OmniPro PCA program running on it. I did not try SAPI.

Going to give it another try on my Linux laptop maybe.

For an Oracle VB you can run a thin / lite XP or use embedded XP. I currently run embedded XP on my Homeseer touchscreens and it works fine with speaker dot exe and a few voice fonts.

You can build a 4-8 Gb Wintel VB. My current Linux HS3 is using way less than 8 Gb so I do not think you will have a problem with an add of a 32bit lite XP with SAPI.
      Thanks Pete. I'll take this conversation to another more relevant thread as I think it is a bit off topic and I have some more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
        ....I think a 7th gen Intel laptop with 4GB or more of RAM would be an easy shoe in for a hardware refresh. .....
        Thanks. I am still debating on whether to get another laptop or maybe a NUC or similar. The laptop is pretty convenient and takes up little space, but they are not really made to run 24/7 for years.. ...but mine has, and it lasted longer than I thought it would.

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
          Thanks. I am still debating on whether to get another laptop or maybe a NUC or similar. The laptop is pretty convenient and takes up little space, but they are not really made to run 24/7 for years.. ...but mine has, and it lasted longer than I thought it would.

how much you looking to spend?
          of course as little as possible but still.. gotta start with a budget price..

I am using a Lenovo tiny. We use them at work and they are great so it made me jump on google and I found some refurbed and bought 1.. uses like 18w!!!!!

and is an i5 - ssd - 16gb ram!!!

$329 i5
          https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkC...inkcentre+tiny
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

HS3 Hardware

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post

Check out the Asus Vivo series. They have a 7th gen i5. You will need to pickup an OS, RAM, and a small SSD separately).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WP2RVW3..._R1gpAbFQG0H98

Remember, you won't need much to run HS3. So you could probably go with the i3 instead and mate it to 4-8GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD and be screaming. Your choice on Linux or M$ for the OS.

Here, I am looking at the vivo 7th gen with an Intel i3 series ($260 barebone) with 8GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD as a replacement legacy core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 128 GB SSD system as the media streamer in my livingroom.

The only other thing I would note is a good data backup and power backup solution.

I would recommend clonezilla or acronis and save your backups to a separate HDD.

If you are going away from the laptop you would be losing the built in battery. I would recommend a backup UPS with integration into your OS so your system gracefully shuts down in the event of a power outage and battery discharge. This would help to ensure that you don't biff your HS3 install (the DB).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Kerat; December 21st, 2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              I am using a Lenovo tiny. We use them at work and they are great so it made me jump on google and I found some refurbed and bought 1.. uses like 18w!!!!!

and is an i5 - ssd - 16gb ram!!!

$329 i5
              That looks interesting. Not a bad price. I could probably just swap the SSD out of my Lenovo laptop and not have to configure a thing. Is that an antenna port on the back? WiFi?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                Check out the Asus Vivo series. They have a 7th gen i5. You will need to pickup an OS, RAM, and a small SSD separately).
                That looks like a good option as well. I was looking at a NUC earlier.

I have everything (even the laptop) on a 1.5Kva UPS as the power blips regularly in my neighborhood.

Interestingly enough, my HS laptop has died the last two mornings in a row...

Comment

Great idea Kerat!!!

Here running Kodi on a bunch of Aopen digital engines and testing 4k stuff with them. Need to update the Kodi boxes.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                  HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                  HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                  X