No announcement yet.

HS3 Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah i think i found some used 4gb kit on the net i might buy to upgrade.

I dont need more storage at all i have a RAID5 system controller with 15TB of storage atm, i think thats enough. And for smaller backup files i use Dropbox or Skydrive mostly.
    Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

Comment

Well now i got some 4gb memory in the mail today, put them in so now i should not have problem with memory
      Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

Comment

I have a ranch and I need to set up a Z wave system in a remote barn. Wifi will reach but not sure Zwave will. The location has electronic ballast and I,m already having problems with another client.

So I want to know two things

1 what type of router set up will I need to plug the Hometroller Zee2 into to work on the network,

2 Will this computer work for basic functions ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Desktop-C...UAAOSwnLdWslNx

Thanks so much for any help or suggestion. New to the Z wave world. I have the old X10 down as it would be local with a T1103

Comment

For those contemplating something like a Core 2 Duo, those desktops from businesses are all getting swapped out these days. Check out the Fry's Electronics promo codes. They have had refurbed (for whatever the refurb is worth) for $80 for a system very similar to the one mentioned in the last post. Plus they are in very small cases.

For my practice setups I used a Linux system with a Sempron 3100 - that's a single core 1.8 GHz processor. 2 Gb of good old PC3200 400 MHz RAM. With a fairly loaded HS3, six plugins, ~100 devices, it ran between 10 and 20% CPU utilization. That was logged into the system with a browser to manipulate HS. You don't need a lot of computer to run Homeseer on Linux.

Comment

Configuring Windows Embedded

Wanted some insight on how an S6 is configured.

As a HS3Pro licensed user I was hoping HomeSeer could sell me an S6 at a price that reflects my previous license purchase. Alas they will not.

This leaves me with the building my own. (currently HS3 is running on desktop that is overkill and frankly difficult to keep from HS3 crashing.)

I narrowed down my selection to: Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 - Tiny size Desktop
            https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...56&ignorebbr=1

Thinking is:
            • i5 Is more than adequate for current and future releases
            • will fit in my ELK wiring panel
            • need serial port to connect to my ELK security system.
            • better price than the Shuttle (what Homeseer uses) for better stats.

Here is where I need your help.

1. To build this system to mimic the Hometroller S6, It says it uses Windows Embedded.

A. What would be pro/cons of windows desktop vs. embedded
            B. What version of Win Emb does S6 use?
            C. Does HS3Pro install on Win Emb
            D. If so, are there any gotchas or special configurations needed
            - especially to keep HS3 running even after reboot/powerfailure...

Any additional thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
            Mark

Comment

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum Mark.

Windows 7 embedded is lighter than Windows 7 Pro. I use embedded windows for my Windows tabletop touchscreens today.

I have seen a custom build of Windows 7 lite which would be similar. You really only need the meat of W7 to run Homeseer. You can use a current license of W7 to install this build.

Windows 7 embedded - thinking it is around $120.00

Just like on regular Windows 7 Pro.

No.

Looking at running Homeseer Lite here on the Rock64 4Gb credit card sized computer inside of my Omni Pro 2 can (much smaller than the Elk can).

Homeseer Lite is currently running the Leviton Omni Pro 2 plugin on a Pine64 2Gb machine and doing well.

Currently running HS3 Pro on a Haswell mITX board here with 16Gb and it is doing well.

Here is a picture of a Haswell i7 series microPC with 16Gb of RAM.

[ATTACH]64302[/ATTACH]

5th Generation iSeries (Broadwell) is current standard and 6th Generation iSeries (Skylake ) are already being sold micro sized computers (all heatsink).
              Last edited by Pete; November 6, 2017, 10:21 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

S6 System Properties:
                Attached Files

Comment

Comment

I have been able to run both Windows 10 and Ubuntu on the newer processors with no issues..

There has been a major change in Homeseer 3 these days incorporating Homeseer Touch into the main program in the last few months. It has caused some issues with some folks running Windows 10 or Linux and not with other folks.

Personally I use Windows 10 (and W7). a la carte (on demand) on my current laptops/desktops running Ubuntu.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HS3 Hardware

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      Welcome to the Cocoontech forum Mark.

Windows 7 embedded is lighter than Windows 7 Pro. I use embedded windows for my Windows tabletop touchscreens today.

I have seen a custom build of Windows 7 lite which would be similar. You really only need the meat of W7 to run Homeseer. You can use a current license of W7 to install this build.

Windows 7 embedded - thinking it is around $120.00

Just like on regular Windows 7 Pro.

No.

Looking at running Homeseer Lite here on the Rock64 4Gb credit card sized computer inside of my Omni Pro 2 can (much smaller than the Elk can).

Homeseer Lite is currently running the Leviton Omni Pro 2 plugin on a Pine64 2Gb machine and doing well.

Currently running HS3 Pro on a Haswell mITX board here with 16Gb and it is doing well.

Here is a picture of a Haswell i7 series microPC with 16Gb of RAM.

[ATTACH]64302[/ATTACH]

5th Generation iSeries (Broadwell) is current standard and 6th Generation iSeries (Skylake ) are already being sold micro sized computers (all heatsink).

I am really like omg yes ROCK64 w4GB of RAM, and a Poe power adapter. I am going to pick two up and replace my unifi controller and HS3 server. They event make a good DAC so I could also see how they do for use with KODI and my HTPC software.

I have one of the older Intel 5th Gen (i5 5200U) mini PCs (same case as your Pic) with dual NICs, 8GB of RAM, and a 70GB SSD running as my firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes originally the Pine64 did not work well with KODI due to the Video processing.
                        Noticed that many of the new computers utilize KODI for benchmarking.

I had an issue spending more on a plexiglass case for the Pine64 than the computer itself.

For the Pine64 2 Gb computer used plexiglass case done up by a guitar maker in Spain. It was very well designed and sold on Amazon.

BTW there is a second NIC on the Rock 64 that you can use such that it could be a firewall. Not sure about running or if anyone has tested BSD on the ROCK64.

With 4Gb of RAM you will be able to run an Oracle lite Wintel VB. So you can do some Homeseer Wintel stuff on it concurrent to running Homeseer on Linux on a credit card sized PC (RPI sized).
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

HS3 Hardware

Yes originally the Pine64 did not work well with KODI due to the Video processing.
                          Noticed that many of the new computers utilize KODI for benchmarking.

I had an issue spending more on a plexiglass case for the Pine64 than the computer itself.

For the Pine64 2 Gb computer used plexiglass case done up by a guitar maker in Spain. It was very well designed and sold on Amazon.

BTW there is a second NIC on the Rock 64 that you can use such that it could be a firewall. Not sure about running or if anyone has tested BSD on the ROCK64.

With 4Gb of RAM you will be able to run an Oracle lite Wintel VB. So you can do some Homeseer Wintel stuff on it concurrent to running Homeseer on Linux on a credit card sized PC (RPI sized).

That sounds pretty cool. I looked into PFSense and they have not made their ARM compiled distribution available to the community. They only made it available to those that have purchased their mini firewall.

Last edited by Kerat; November 9, 2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

HS3 Hardware...

Been running HS2 & HS3 the last 4 years on an older i7 Lenovo laptop. It's probably a 6yo machine now. With few exceptions, it has run 24/7 for 4 years and it is starting to show it's age. Time for something new before it becomes unreliable...

What are the minimum requirements for HS3 with 100 nodes, 300 devices and maybe 150 events? (Currently 64 nodes, 150 devices and 50 events...) Currently the machine just runs HS3, iTunes and Outlook and NAV.

At what point would a machine be considered overkill?

Comment

Hi Pete

I am at the point of looking into SAPI for my new Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit build. My limitation is disk space - 32 GB SSD. So I don't have space for Windows install in an Oracle VB.

So I was thinking of using Wine. Any experience with SAPI on Wine that you can share? ie. Will HS3 be able to use SAPI TTS with SAPI running from Wine?

Andrew

Comment

HS3 Hardware

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                                Been running HS2 & HS3 the last 4 years on an older i7 Lenovo laptop. It's probably a 6yo machine now. With few exceptions, it has run 24/7 for 4 years and it is starting to show it's age. Time for something new before it becomes unreliable...

What are the minimum requirements for HS3 with 100 nodes, 300 devices and maybe 150 events? (Currently 64 nodes, 150 devices and 50 events...) Currently the machine just runs HS3, iTunes and Outlook and NAV.

At what point would a machine be considered overkill?

HS3 is still pretty Lite. I know that there are a few people using Intel Celeron based mini PCs as their HS3 server. Going with a laptop is a great idea as it give you battery backup built in. Overall power consumption is always on my mind, so I don't know that I would stuff an i7 or an i5 under the hood of your new HS3 server. I think a 7th gen Intel laptop with 4GB or more of RAM would be an easy shoe in for a hardware refresh.

Here, I run an RPI 3 with HS3 standard for Linux. I have a handful of plugins, 368 devices, 39 Zwave nodes, 180 events, and 3 custom scripts. I will be expanding with another 40 Zwave devices or so. My only complaint about the RPI 3 is lack of RAM. It only comes with 1GB of RAM. I would prefer 2 GB or more.

I think I have the advantage of being the second mouse to HA as I have benefited from the learning curve of the other users on the forum and my friends who are into HS3 and HA at large. Things run pretty well over here.

Comment

Working...
                                X