Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete
    replied
    Yesterday I happened to be reading the May 2013 edition of the magazine PCWorld that has been sitting around here (bathroom library) and read the attached article relating to the Intel's NUC (DC3217BY model).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20205...ntels-nuc.html

Leave a comment:

• mhn
    replied
    Hi Rotech.

My new Homeseer PC is made of:

Intel Next Unit of Computing Kit DCCP847DYE http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ccp847dye.html
    Plextor M5M PX-64M5M Solid state drive 64 GB http://www.plextor-digital.com/index...a/M5M/m5m.html
    2 X DDR3 1333 1 GB SO-DIMM ram
    and an USB hub.

Price in $ must be around 350. And it dosn't use much power.

So far looking realy good. But it has only been running for a month.

Regards
    Morten

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    Originally posted by vasrc View Post
    Nice, and it's cat proof...
    Who's the vendor?
    It's a Hubbell. I'ts very large. I installed it to a plywood panel with lags. The front hinged door has a dark plexiglass insert and the back hinge swings out with full access to the back of the components.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rotech
    replied
    I wish I had more knowledge in computers, I would really like to have a small foot print pc and a SSD for HS...... The one illustrated looks great.

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    Originally posted by vasrc View Post
    Who's the vendor?
    It had a yellow sticker on the outside, and that was the only identifying mark. I'll look tonight when I get home.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Very nice Rob.

Curious what MFG of motherboard you will be using in your 1U box?
    I'm very happy with the FoxConn, so I dont mind having one of those. I do want to stay away from GigaByte - had a bad experience with them.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Morton,

Very nice!

You the first person running HS on a pico PC that I know of on this forum!

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Thank you Dan; stumbled on the BCM motherboards accidently.

Personally I don't think there will be an issue running HS3 on whatever.

Takes me back a bit though running HS 1.X on an overclocked to 600Mhz AMD legacy free box that only had USB ports on it. CM11A and AT&T TTS worked fine with it.

Today mcsSprinklers is running off a memory stick with an Archlinux OS and Arm based 1.2 Ghz CPU and doing just fine. Never breaks or crashes.

I am guessing once that HS is ported over to Linux it will be the same (being very optimistic here).
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mhn
    replied
    I used a NUC DCCP847DYE for my new HS PC. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...pkw=dccp847dye

Only "problem" is it use msata. Mine got an msata 64GB SSD. Cheap, small, don't use much power. I like it. :-)

Regards
    Morten

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Very nice Rob.

Curious what MFG of motherboard you will be using in your 1U box?

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    replied
    Pete,

Nice motherboard. My new Fileserver is a used Acer EasyHome. It has a itty-bitty motherboard in it. I put WHS2011. As long as I am not logged into it, it runs VERY well for just a file server.

I've considered what would I do if I needed more power. Looks like something like the motherboard you linked, or maybe smaller might do it. Esp. with an i7 on there. Quad core 3.2Ghz...that would 4x the processing power. (I have dual core 1.6Ghz Atom in there now). I really think if the motherboard would accept more than a 2GB stick of RAM, it would have helped WHS a lot more. But again, using it for Drivepooling and WHS backups. I get 60-70MB/s over the network. Not as fast as the Dell T110, but for using 175W, and getting a 19TB drive pool out of it, running at least 60MB/s over Gigabit...I'm quite happy so far.

--Dan

Leave a comment:

• vasrc
    replied
    Who's the vendor?

Here's the Lowes version
    http://va.siameserescue.org/webcam.html
    (Bottom left webcam)

Z

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    Yeah, I got lucky at work. We were throwing away a front/back hinged server rack. I told them to just throw it away into the back of my truck
    So far, I have a patch panel (also free) and a couple of the Avocent rack-mounted smart PSUs. I'm punching everything down and patching to individual devices - phone, ethernet, IP cams, etc.

Here's a pic of what the rack looks like:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• vasrc
    replied
    Didn't Rich/Rick hint at more distributed processing options for plugins, etc in HS3 or did I dream/wish that ??
    That would mean the direction would be more towards several smaller boxes than one large one, where you don't need to put everything on one box..

Can't comment on new processors, our dual pentium on XP keeps on going and going and going. Sure would be luxurious to have a rack and closest though , our HS server sits in the Isolation room of the Shelter. Probably the only HS box that can say it always has a virus in it

Z

Leave a comment:

• GatorEye
    replied
    Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
    The Zotacs look awesome. There is also an EcoPC line that looks great too - small form factor. I am still leaning towards a 1U form factor though...
    Yeah I really wish they had an i5 or i7 in that form factor though. Once you start running mysql, a streaming media server, JRiver Media center, etc. on it you are going to need more horses. That's why I'm conflicted.

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    My experience so far with HS1.x and 2.x is that the Atoms provide plenty of horsepower as long as HS is the only thing running on it. If you run any IP Cam Software, you definitely need big horsepower.

The Zotacs look awesome. There is also an EcoPC line that looks great too - small form factor. I am still leaning towards a 1U form factor though...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X