Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from HS2 to HS3 (including PRO versions)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What , no answer to this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by zguy View Post
      It seems that HS can not recognize the devices properly.

When I imported them from the z-troller, I got the following message for each devices:

Warning: Failed to retreive Z-Wave class information for node x, device synchronization/creation will not continue

When I go in the node information screen, what I see is not what is expected. All devices show Sigma Design as the manufacturer when none of them are. They are identified either as a switch binary or switch multilevel.

If you look at node 2 and 3, these 2 devices are Cooper Split control Duplex wall receptacle. One of them shows some command class while the other says "No command class available".

There is a similar problem with devices 15 and 16, which are Evolve in wall dimmers. And again, I have 4 devices like node 6 that all have the no command class error. These are GE lamp modules.
      With a much smaller system I started with the node closest to the controller and optimized 3 times, did a full optimize of the device and then a scan and rescan of the device (sometimes needed a 3rd or 4th scan). I did that working outward from the controller and then came back and did a full optimize on each device.

Talking to an engineer at work who designed a zwave controller recently none of that should be necessary, however, it worked.

I understand its a PIA and maybe there is a better way but when all else fails you sometimes have to do what you have to do.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by brmeeke View Post
        Problem solved. Thank you

Now back to my original task of migrating to HS3. I have watched the Webinar but sometimes things don't work exactly as described. Wish me luck.

Brian
        Where is the "Webinar"?

Comment

I purchased HS3 last year and quickly abandoned it, deciding to give it more time. I recently "upgraded" and have the same problems as zguy. I thought by now HS3 would be GA but is it still in beta? Every word zguy said applies to me and the same problems. Plus this: HSM100 devices were created but would stay in motion state, NEVER CLEAR. So I removed and re-added but now they won't create properly:

Jul-31 23:12:41 Z-Wave Warning The device at node 27 should result in 2 child devices being created, but the node interrogation currently has 0. This may still result in a successful child creation.
          Jul-31 23:12:41 Z-Wave Warning The device at node 25 should result in 2 child devices being created, but the node interrogation currently has 0. This may still result in a successful child creation.
          Jul-31 23:12:41 Z-Wave Warning The device at node 21 should result in 2 child devices being created, but the node interrogation currently has 0. This may still result in a successful child creation.
          Jul-31 23:12:40 Z-Wave Warning The device at node 18 should result in 2 child devices being created, but the node interrogation currently has 0. This may still result in a successful child creation.

And I did install the lastest Z-wave beta plugin but that didn't help.
          What if I take the sledge hammer approach and delete my network/erase the controller/whatever and add 40+ Z-wave device back one at a time? Will this work or will I have wasted my long weekend?

Comment

Update on HS3 problems.

I decided against erasing my network and devices and starting from scratch since everything was fine in HS2 and I don't know if that would have corrected things. Amongst my HS3 problems:
            a. Motion sensors continuously showing motion when there was none.
            b. Door sensors showing Unknown status instead of ON/OFF or no motion.
            c. Incomplete device creation for some but not all devices. Even after running full optimizations 6-7 times and updating to latest beta release of the homeseer z-wave plugin.
            d. Motion on HSM100 node 31 turning on multiple Zwave devices and a rather loud alarm. And I never created any device associations that would explain it. I removed and re-added as node 32 and the same thing happened again although a few more lights came on the second time, not the same as the first time. Almost seemed like corrupt Z-wave network traffic but I don't know the protocol internals to say if that's a legit theory.

So the highly unstable and unusable HS3 was shutdown and I reverted back to HS2 for the second time in as many years. Now everything is working as expected!! Would need someone with HomeSeer and Z-wave developer knowledge to hazard a guess what was happening. The one thing I am grateful for was the easy fallback to v2. But I will miss the new events and features. Please comment if you'd experienced similar problems or if you've found a resolution.

Dare I try HS3 again in 2015? I'll keep an eye on this community and decide next summer or fall. Regardless of all the problems, it's still be best system out there that I've seen, especially for creative custom events.

Comment

When I run the import utility I'm not prompted for the input database. None of my events were imported.

Comment

Originally posted by joewilly1 View Post
                When I run the import utility I'm not prompted for the input database. None of my events were imported.
                None of your events will be imported, just their names.

Comment

Allright. I'm ready to try to do this!!!

Following the steps on the first page, I now installed HS3 then installed the importer. When I run the importer, I select my mdb file for input but what file or location do I select for output? Or do I have to run HS3 first?
                  Tks
                  HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Originally posted by Mario23 View Post
                    Allright. I'm ready to try to do this!!!

Following the steps on the first page, I now installed HS3 then installed the importer. When I run the importer, I select my mdb file for input but what file or location do I select for output? Or do I have to run HS3 first?
                    Tks
                    No no, I wouldn't bother with the import, its a waist of time, or at least it was for me.. All I got imported was the event names, nothing else, just made for a mess and clutter and I ended up deleting all of the old names, because even they don't match the event style of hs3
                    Just make all new events, thats what you are going to do anyway and you will save time too.
                    Last edited by Name; September 16, 2014, 03:00 PM. Reason: new events

Comment

I'd consider moving to HS3 but the lack of HS2 plugins that I need is an issue but when I read statements about not importing events, only event names it makes me feel sad. It has taken many hours to make HS2 work and it looks like if I want to use HS3 I'll be spending a lot of time re-writing 100s of my events as the HS2 developers appear to ignore their existing client base and expect their customers once again spend many hours on something that should be automatic. If a new version of Word couldn't open a Word document from the previous version users wouldn't tolerate it. I don't mind some tweaking to move to HS3 but the upgrade to HS3 for me sounds awful.

Comment

I feel your pain. Running HS2 <--> HS3 didn't work well for me, so I bit the bullet and turned off HS2 and started building events and scripts for HS3. None of the HST plugins that were available worked nearly as well as the plugin authors, and much of my legacy equipment was left behind. It took a week to get things back to where they were before the move. Still don't have some of my favorite plugins but pretty much happy.

I left my HS2 machine running while this was going on, mostly to try to recreate the events, but my biggest pain was my scripts.

Hope it all works out for you.
                        Don

Comment

Alright. I'm ready to try to do this!!!
                          Best to savor the migration concurrent with a the savoring of a very cold beer with ice.

Enjoy your travels to HS3.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'd vote for something a bit stronger. It was no picnic for me.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            Best to savor the migration concurrent with a the savoring of a very cold beer with ice.

Enjoy your travels to HS3.
                            Don

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
                              I'd vote for something a bit stronger. It was no picnic for me.
                              However, if he does prefer beer, "a" beer is likely not enough .

Cheers
                              Al
                              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
                                I feel your pain. Running HS2 <--> HS3 didn't work well for me, so I bit the bullet and turned off HS2 and started building events and scripts for HS3. None of the HST plugins that were available worked nearly as well as the plugin authors, and much of my legacy equipment was left behind. It took a week to get things back to where they were before the move. Still don't have some of my favorite plugins but pretty much happy.

I left my HS2 machine running while this was going on, mostly to try to recreate the events, but my biggest pain was my scripts.

Hope it all works out for you.
                                Yikes! I have over 200 scripts, some of which are over 80KBs in size so I guess I'll have my work cut out. I've worked on several computer (SCADA) system migrations in my time and I've never known a vendor expect so much work from their installed client base as the upgrade path doesn't appear to really exist. The plugin issue will be a hurdle too, I doubt I could move to HS3 while keeping the house running without IRTrans and a few others. I would only move to HS3 for obsolescence issues, I don't see HS3 providing me with anything that HS2 can't do, especially as I do so much with scripts. I guess I'm feeling a little unloved as a loyal HS customer, especially one who tolerated so many bugs in HS2 until it became stable.

Comment

Working...
                                X