Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from HS2 to HS3 (including PRO versions)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading from HS2 to HS3 (including PRO versions)

This is the procedure for upgrading from HS2/HSPRO to HS3/HS3PRO

Considerations
    HS3 device and event architecture is substantially different from HS2. As such, converting these elements will require some manual intervention. Depending on the size of your system, this process may take several hours. Please plan accordingly. Your HS2 system can be used during the process for as long as you need it. All S2-S3 HomeTrollers will require an Operating System Upgrade prior to installing HS3.

Procedure
    1. Back up your entire HS2/HSPRO folder. Copy this to a safe external hard drive or other storage device
    2. [Recommended]Print or do screen captures of your device (status) page and your events page to create hard copies of your existing configuration.
    3. Install HS3/HS3PRO onto your PC (download)
    4. Download the HS3 Import Utility and Install it Only Your PC
    5. Run HS3Import.exe, follow the prompts to select your HS2 database file (Input database) and your HS3 database file (Output File)
    6. Click "Convert" button and wait for the conversion to finish
    7. Run HS3.

Building Devices
    As mentioned above, device will need to be created with different levels of manual intervention, based on the technology.

Z-Wave
    1. Ensure that your Z-Wave interface is connected to your PC
    2. Navigate to the "Plug-ins" menu, install the "HomeSeer Z-Wave" plug-in and enable it.
    3. Navigate to the plug-ins menu again, hover over Z-Wave and choose "controller management"
    4. On the controller mgmt page, add your interface, ensure that the proper COM port selected and enable the interface
    5. Expand the controller section, access the "actions" menu and select the top option to import devices. Click Start and allow this process to finish
    6. Devices should now appear on your HS3 Home Page. note: it may be necessary to individually rescan devices if they don't build completely. You'll also need to optimize the network if communication is not 100%.
    7. Edit each device to rename and assign locations

X10 and Status (Virtual) Device
    These devices will need to be created manually.
    1. For X10 devices, navigate to the Plug-ins>Manage page, select the X10 plug-in, download and enable it. Access the X10 plug-in config page and select the interface used. CM11 and TI103 are the supported interfaces.
    2. Navigate to the HS3 Home Page, click the green "add device" button and create your device. Choose the appropriate housecode/unitcode.
    3. For Status Devices, navigate to the HS3 Home page, click the green "add device" button and add your device(s)

Building Events
    As mentioned above, events will need to be recreated manually using the shell events created by the import utility.
    1. Hover over the "View" menu and select "Events" to navigate to the Event page. You should see a listing of event groups based on the event groups your created in HS2. If you never created event groups, you'll still see at least one group named "Default"
    2. Expand any group to see a listing of the events assigned to that group. Expand any event to begin editing that event.
    3. Event logic and workflow is significantly different than that of HS2 but should be relatively easy to pick up.
    4. Events may be easily moved from group to group. Similar events may also be copied to other events.

For assistance with your conversion process, please refer to the help file documentation or contact HomeSeer directly.
    Last edited by jseer; August 13, 2014, 01:30 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Rich:

Have you looked at Jon00's connector?
    Don

Comment

No, where is it?

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
      Rich:

Have you looked at Jon00's connector?

Comment

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162718
        Don

Comment

Mark:

Could you comment on multiple Z-Wave networks? I'd like to set up a couple.

Thanks;
          Don

Comment

What info are you looking for?

In HS2 you could use multiple Z-Wave interfaces, but they all had to be on the same Z-Wave network (same HomeID). This means you were still limited to 232 nodes.

In HS3 you can still do this, but you can also add a totally new Z-Wave network (different HomeID). This means you can add another batch of 232 devices. The best use of this is for creating a different network at a different location, maybe a vacation home, or out building. Note that since the 2 networks are on a different HomeID you cannot use nodes on the other network for routing.

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
            Mark:

Could you comment on multiple Z-Wave networks? I'd like to set up a couple.

Thanks;

Comment

Most devices missing in Events - Control a device

I imported all my z-wave devices and renamed them. I imported my events. When i go to Control a Device in events, I see 5 out of about 30

I did a full optimize and a rescan full and nothing changed, I had to go into every single device, click the z-wave tab, click scan and then association showed up. The devices then showed up in the events.

So either there are several missing steps in the upgrade instructions or there is/was something very wrong with my install
              Last edited by mark_anderson_us; November 30, 2013, 10:29 PM.

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
              HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
              2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
              USB UIRT
              Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
              WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
              HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
              HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
              2GIG Thermostat
              BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
              BLUPS
              UltraLog (SQL2008)
              Jon00 Plugins
              Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
              Global Cache IP2IR
              Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by rjh
                Yep, and we did this on purpose!

This has been posted elsewhere, but we decided to make architecture changes since HS2 had too much legacy code that was making the code unmanageable. So moving to HS3 is really like starting from scratch. Painful, yes, but that was our choice. The code almost all new. The UI is all jquery based so no more refreshing of the pages. We had the beta out for over 8 months and so far no real complaints on the UI. We will of course take all feedback seriously and do our best to make adjustments. So if anyone has any issues, please note them but also please tell us what you would like to see or what you would expect.
                A tool that collects events and devices from HS2 and at the very least have suggestions for migrating and filling in the forms with data that does map over nicely with defaults that make sense.

The reason *I* waited was hoping to get a stable version and tools to assist with migration. With jon00's HS2/HS3 connector tool, that's a step to ease migration and perhaps worthy of purchasing jon00's source and making it an integral feature.

I have HSTouch setup on too many clients to move things peacemeal and with all the conversions necessary for software and hardware, I'm looking at weeks or months more. It is simply too much of an undertaking.
                huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

The tool will bring over all of your events and keep the names. It will include all the actions that it can, like speaking. It will not bring over any devices. Devices have changed so much, and each plugin has its own changes, that there is no way to do this. Z-Wave is not too bad as you can just do an import and it will create all the devices. You can keep HS2 running and match them up using the node number so you can rename them. Then you have to hook them up the events.

We were going to do a connector between HS2 and HS3 but it appears that Jon's connector does the job. It will allow HS2 devices to appear in HS3 so you can switch over to the HS3 event engine.

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
                  A tool that collects events and devices from HS2 and at the very least have suggestions for migrating and filling in the forms with data that does map over nicely with defaults that make sense.

The reason *I* waited was hoping to get a stable version and tools to assist with migration. With jon00's HS2/HS3 connector tool, that's a step to ease migration and perhaps worthy of purchasing jon00's source and making it an integral feature.

I have HSTouch setup on too many clients to move things peacemeal and with all the conversions necessary for software and hardware, I'm looking at weeks or months more. It is simply too much of an undertaking.

Comment

I am trying to run the HS3 Import but am receiving a password error. I have copied my entire HS2 folder to my test machine and have installed HS3. Below is the error:
                    Database->Opening (Mode=Read) up HomeSeer database: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer 2\Config\homeseer-beach.mdb
                    Error->Exception retrieving database information (A): Not a valid password.
                    Error->Failed to get version information from configuration database, data NOT loaded.
                    Database->HomeSeer configuration database C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer 2\Config\homeseer-beach.mdb has been closed.
                    ->HS2 database contains 0 Events.
                    ->HS2 database contains 0 Devices, devices are NOT imported.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Shutdown HS2 first, then run the tool. When you shutdown HS2, the password is removed.

Originally posted by Kirby View Post
                      I am trying to run the HS3 Import but am receiving a password error. I have copied my entire HS2 folder to my test machine and have installed HS3. Below is the error:
                      Database->Opening (Mode=Read) up HomeSeer database: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer 2\Config\homeseer-beach.mdb
                      Error->Exception retrieving database information (A): Not a valid password.
                      Error->Failed to get version information from configuration database, data NOT loaded.
                      Database->HomeSeer configuration database C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer 2\Config\homeseer-beach.mdb has been closed.
                      ->HS2 database contains 0 Events.
                      ->HS2 database contains 0 Devices, devices are NOT imported.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Thanks.

That worked once I updated my HS from 2.5.0.52 which is in the updater to 2.5.0.81 which is on the download page.

Comment

Running both versions at the same time

I want to start my migration to HS3 Pro. Can I install both on the same server?

I would like to have the HS2 for reference while I migrate over. Maybe get the Insteon controls going, then change to the new Sonos plugin.

I did review the migration best practice. Thank you for having that online.

Anyone out there running the Main Lobby plug in with HS3? I think that this may be my only issue in moving to HS3 Pro totally, as I use Main Lobby on all of my controllers.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scotthpdx View Post
                            I want to start my migration to HS3 Pro. Can I install both on the same server?
                            Hi Scott, yes you can install and run them on the same server. There are also tools available to connect HS2 to HS3, so that you can see device status and trigger events between them.

Cheers
                            Al
                            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Got it! spent most of the day, now I am switched over for good! Good job! Now all I need to do is clean up some old nodes that I can't seem to delete from the z-troller. Any ideas? I know I should help others too, but does anybody really want my help? I mean what do I know? pretty much nothing. I know I delete these old nodes from the home page, but they come back every time I do an import. I had a couple of switches go bad on me and now I can't delete them from the z-troller. I AM DENIED! But I can live with this for now, at least the switch IS FINISHED! YEEEE HAWL! Time to celebrate!

Comment

Working...
                              X