X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by noopara View Post
    I try and keep my HS3 implementation simple with the minimum of moving parts. I've never used Pushover or anything like it. I understand that it doesn't use email or text messages. Why would someone use it instead of text messages with HS3?

I have been using text messages from my HS3 system for years because it requires little bandwidth and will work in a lot of places where there is no data connection. I have often found that text messages will come through even in areas where you can't make a phone call.
    Different people will have their reasons for this, Email-SMS or HTTP-SMS solutions here in the UK are something not routinely offered by communication service providers. As there is a marketing (and potentially abuse) potential then third party providers have this as a business with them offering all sorts of solutions, this comes at a cost. I used to use one but it became a chore to keep topping up the credits (as well as obviously costing me money). As such there is no 'free' solution for this provided already here. I appreciate that is not the case elsewhere in the world.

Pushover adds additional functionality in terms of different message sounds (like I can tell instantly in my pocket whether someone has pressed the doorbell or the washer has finished), priority levels (IE an emergency priority message will go off until you acknowledge it), go to different users without the need for holding phone numbers etc. It can also be deployed on devices like iPads which may not necessarily have mobile data access. Having to go into my text messages list every time I had a message would annoy me - they are all contained in an app with Pushover.

I find it relatively rare to be without 3G/4G reception and still be in receipt of 2G service. As such me using push messaging is going to be probably as reliable as SMS although I appreciate there are more things involved with a push messaging service which can go wrong.

It is perhaps not for everyone but for a number of reasons SMS just does not suit me.

Leave a comment:

• noopara
    replied
    Why Pushover?

I try and keep my HS3 implementation simple with the minimum of moving parts. I've never used Pushover or anything like it. I understand that it doesn't use email or text messages. Why would someone use it instead of text messages with HS3?

I have been using text messages from my HS3 system for years because it requires little bandwidth and will work in a lot of places where there is no data connection. I have often found that text messages will come through even in areas where you can't make a phone call.

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by 3IMOH View Post
    Thanks for the lightning fast response! I have updated the plugin and the link works great now as a message URL.
    Not entirely sure where and when I implemented it to start with so I'll just release the version with the latest amendment, if it does not work for anyone with this change let me know and I'll go back to putting some thought into it.

Leave a comment:

• 3IMOH
    replied
    Thanks for the lightning fast response! I have updated the plugin and the link works great now as a message URL.

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by 3IMOH View Post
    I am trying to use the message URL functionality in the plugin to send HS /json control URL's. It seems that pushover URL encodes the URL which HS does not seem to like. I can just put a link in the message body and that seems to work ok but it would be nice to be able to have a link with a title. Has anyone run into this or have a workaround?

URL in message body works fine:
    http://homeseer:8000/JSON?request=runevent&id=5

HS result:
    { "Response":"ok" }

trying to use this as a "Message URL", it gets converted to:

http://homeseer:8000/JSON?request%3drunevent%26id%3d5

which results in:
    { "Response":"Error, bad request" }
    I'm my own worst enemy at times and this is something that has bitten me, clearly at some point I have decided to encode these URL strings anyway so it is not Pushover that are encoding them it is me. I can only imagine that was on user request as I don't use them myself but as I'm lousy at commenting the code I don't know where and why I've done it!!

I've changed the encoding from HttpUtility.UrlEncode to HttpUtility.UrlPathEncode which seems to at least solve it for HS URL's. I'll have to do a bit more investigation as to why I did it and whether it breaks anything else but you are welcome to download the version here and try it yourself - http://s652164905.websitehome.co.uk/...r_0_0_0_34.zip

Be aware that I have no control over the handling of these URL's inside Pushover as for me the web browser loads up which obviously gets filled with the JSON reply which looks a little ugly.

Leave a comment:

• 3IMOH
    replied
    Using Message URL for HS JSON requests

I am trying to use the message URL functionality in the plugin to send HS /json control URL's. It seems that pushover URL encodes the URL which HS does not seem to like. I can just put a link in the message body and that seems to work ok but it would be nice to be able to have a link with a title. Has anyone run into this or have a workaround?

URL in message body works fine:
    http://homeseer:8000/JSON?request=runevent&id=5

HS result:
    { "Response":"ok" }

trying to use this as a "Message URL", it gets converted to:

http://homeseer:8000/JSON?request%3drunevent%26id%3d5

which results in:
    { "Response":"Error, bad request" }
    Last edited by 3IMOH; July 3rd, 2017, 05:01 PM. Reason: adding title

Leave a comment:

• fvhemert
    replied
    Yep, the .33 fixed the issue, all good now.

Thanks for the lightning fast update!

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by fvhemert View Post
    I have just updated the plugin from version 0.0.0.31 to 0.0.0.32 and noticed the replace variables %ShortDate% , %LongDate% and %HSUptime% do not work anymore. The other variables %ShortTime% , %LongTime% and %HSWanIP% work fine.

Can you please check?

I have not changed my events and noticed it right after the upgrade, to confirm I have created a new event with all 6 replacement variables and
    found that %ShortDate% , %LongDate% and %HSUptime% are not replaced by actual values, the others are.

I have reinstalled the updated version and restarted the plugin, no change.
    I've believe I've fixed them in version .33 which I've put in the updater (I don't use the variables myself), little bit of a copy and paste error on my part but I was convinced I checked them before I uploaded it!

Leave a comment:

• fvhemert
    replied
    %ShortDate% , %LongDate% and %HSUptime% do not work after upgrade 0.0.0.32

I have just updated the plugin from version 0.0.0.31 to 0.0.0.32 and noticed the replace variables %ShortDate% , %LongDate% and %HSUptime% do not work anymore. The other variables %ShortTime% , %LongTime% and %HSWanIP% work fine.

Can you please check?

I have not changed my events and noticed it right after the upgrade, to confirm I have created a new event with all 6 replacement variables and
    found that %ShortDate% , %LongDate% and %HSUptime% are not replaced by actual values, the others are.

I have reinstalled the updated version and restarted the plugin, no change.

Leave a comment:

• langenet
    replied
    Perfect... thanks!

Leave a comment:

• andyf
    replied
    Originally posted by langenet View Post
    Adam, I updated last evening and not sure that I got your latest. How do we re-download in updater? Or is there a link to the latest?

Robert
    I just rechecked version .32 in the updater and clicked to download and install.

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by langenet View Post
    Adam, I updated last evening and not sure that I got your latest. How do we re-download in updater? Or is there a link to the latest?

Robert
    If you go into the main updater plugin list and just select the plugin again and download it it will replace it again for you. The change is pretty minor and wouldn't really be a noticeable change apart from a couple of log entries.

I've just tried that and it appears to work but if not let me know and I'll send you a link.

Leave a comment:

• langenet
    replied

Robert

Leave a comment:

• andyf
    replied
    That did the trick.
    Thanks.

I did tend to think that the dual sounds couldn't be a plug-in issue which is why I deleted the comment. The times I have seen it happen is when I enter or leave my GeoFence area. Maybe something to do with switching from WiFi to LTE or back.

Anyway, nice plug-in, thanks for this. Emailing to an SMS bridge was so unreliable.

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by andyf View Post
    Just installed .32. Was running .31 before.
    Now I get this in the log.

Jun-28 7:46:09 AM Pushover 3P Pushover Notification Sent - Message Title: This is a test message
    Jun-28 7:46:08 AM Pushover 3P Decoded External IP: xx.xxx.xx.xx
    Jun-28 7:46:07 AM Pushover 3P Decoded External IP: xx.xxx.xx.xx
    Jun-28 7:46:07 AM Pushover 3P Decoded External IP: xx.xxx.xx.xx

I understand this is to get the WAN IP address into a replacement variable but should it do it three times? It doesn't seem to hurt anything.
    Can you try and re-download version .32 again, I've changed that but don't think it is worth updating the version number for it. There is only one log entry and it is logged to the debug log rather than the HS log.

In terms of the other thing you are seeing then this to me says that this issue is on the client side, if the notification turns up then that points to the fact the plugin has done it's part of the bargain. If you are able to see the next time whether there is a delay in the log entry that says that the notification has been sent then this is something I could debug with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X