No announcement yet.

HS3 Pushover Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request: Option to truncate message if it is over 512 character limit

I use the device string replacement variable in several of my Pushover notifications, and sometimes it is possible for these strings to be quite long and exceed the 512 character limit. I would like an option to truncate the message so that at least I will still get the notification. As it is now, when the device string is long and causes the message to exceed the character limit, the notification simply fails silently and I am none the wiser that I missed a (possibly important) notification.

Thanks for considering.

Comment

A fair observation and shouldn't be problematic, I'm away at the minute so can't make any changes but should be able to sort this out next week.

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post
        Feature Request: Option to truncate message if it is over 512 character limit

I use the device string replacement variable in several of my Pushover notifications, and sometimes it is possible for these strings to be quite long and exceed the 512 character limit. I would like an option to truncate the message so that at least I will still get the notification. As it is now, when the device string is long and causes the message to exceed the character limit, the notification simply fails silently and I am none the wiser that I missed a (possibly important) notification.

Thanks for considering.
        Can you try version .44 please attached here - I've made a check see whether the message is 512 characters, if over then it will get the first 512 chars and then send only that.
        Last edited by mrhappy; October 19, 2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Seems to work perfectly in the quick testing I just did. Truncates at exactly 512 characters.

Thanks so much...this is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post
            Seems to work perfectly in the quick testing I just did. Truncates at exactly 512 characters.

Thanks so much...this is very helpful.
            Excellent thanks, I've removed it from the above post and sent it to HS for putting in the updater.

Comment

Feature Request...
              Would be great to have a single page to view, edit, export, disable/enable all the notifications for your plugin in one place.

Vera has this, I miss it sorely as I just spent two hours yesterday editing all of the notifications.

If some editing is not possible, hopefully viewing and export will be. At least we'll be able to see everything in one place to find the gaps or overlaps.

Thx for the great plugin... Without people like you and spud HS3 wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                Feature Request...
                Would be great to have a single page to view, edit, export, disable/enable all the notifications for your plugin in one place.

Vera has this, I miss it sorely as I just spent two hours yesterday editing all of the notifications.

If some editing is not possible, hopefully viewing and export will be. At least we'll be able to see everything in one place to find the gaps or overlaps.

Thx for the great plugin... Without people like you and spud HS3 wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                I wish it was this simple, sadly I am up against the limitations of the HS3 architecture so can't really do this. In the early days of HS3 I was still getting my head around things and all of the supplied examples stored the plugin action data inside the HS database by serialising it into the DB. In the interests of getting something working quickly I went with their approach, I would go so far as to say that 99% of plugins still do this as it saves handling files and the like. I've not seen an example of anyone doing anything other than this but HS advertised it was possible. This is my understanding but if you have a plugin that does allow you to do something similar I am open to ideas.

What this means now is that the data is stored in the HS database (in a completely custom format and structure - you can open it and see!) and therefore HS are the only ones who know how to get the data back out of it, they do not expose a method to even determine what events have a Pushover action in them - this would help me just as much as everyone else! There is no opportunity to get the event action detail even just to display, editing is just a dream. So basically the only way to edit the data is in the events page that HS have coded to decode the relevant structures they store in their DB, I imagine this is the same for every plugin that uses the HS DB to store actions/triggers.

In hindsight if I had indeed stored the action data in an external database then I would probably be able to offer this as an option but sadly it is too late now.

Comment

I upgraded to 0.0.0.44 and I am no longer able to create new send message actions (the old ones still work). I can add the action to an event, but I am unable to edit the default settings. When I change any of them, they revert to the default (i.e., "Message Title") when the screen is refreshed.

The action doesn't do anything when fired. I get the message:

Event Pushover Alerts Water Detected Push Alert, Action of Pushover 3P: Send Pushover Message could not be carried out because its configuration is not complete.

I've tried restarting the plugin, HS3 and the computer with no success. I've also reinstalled the plugin without any result.

Is there anywhere I can get a prior version of the HSPI_PUSHOVER install file?

Comment

Originally posted by ericnotthered View Post
                    I upgraded to 0.0.0.44 and I am no longer able to create new send message actions (the old ones still work). I can add the action to an event, but I am unable to edit the default settings. When I change any of them, they revert to the default (i.e., "Message Title") when the screen is refreshed.

The action doesn't do anything when fired. I get the message:

Event Pushover Alerts Water Detected Push Alert, Action of Pushover 3P: Send Pushover Message could not be carried out because its configuration is not complete.

I've tried restarting the plugin, HS3 and the computer with no success. I've also reinstalled the plugin without any result.

Is there anywhere I can get a prior version of the HSPI_PUSHOVER install file?
                    As I think posted on the other thread then depending on which version you upgraded from (if it was particularly old for example) then it now needs you to press the update button at the bottom of the event to save the data. Some quite old versions automatically did this but as the plugin has added more features and fields this didn't quite work the same.

I have not changed anything in the events in relatively recent times so if you have upgraded from a recent version (.42 for example) then I would have to think of something else.

Comment

Ah, thanks very much mrhappy. I didn't realize that it was required to click the "update" button. Indeed, that was not required with my previously installed version.

Issue resolved.

Comment

Is there a way to set the "Glance Message Delay Value" to other values? I'm testing watch OS to see at what point it will reject - or fail to receive - new Glance messages.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          Is there a way to set the "Glance Message Delay Value" to other values? I'm testing watch OS to see at what point it will reject - or fail to receive - new Glance messages.
                          There indeed is, this is the code;

Code:
                                      MessageDelay = Convert.ToByte(hs.GetINISetting("Settings", "GlanceDelay", "20", gINIFILE))
                                      Log("Glance Message Delay Value " & MessageDelay, LogLevel.Both)
                          So add the line GlanceDelay line to your Pushover INI file under the [Settings] key and then give it an appropriate value. You will need to restart the plugin because these values are only checked on startup.

Comment

Thank you sir!

Comment

I signed up for Pushover.net, and built an Application's API. But when I go to HS3's plugin, adding the application fails ("Application FAILED to validate with Pushover...") I see that the EXE is in the HS3 folder. Any suggestions?

When I signed up and built the application, the pushover.net's form didn't have the 'Type' option for plugin, and hence was different from the plug-in's help file.

[Sorry, please disregard. I had missed the step to add a device. Just now installed the app on the android device, and now the plug-in allows the API.]

Comment

First, Thank you so much for this incredibly useful plugin. It is really amazing that it is for free. Is is really an extensive and well designed package, much more complete than some other plugins that I have paid money for and was quite dissapointing in functionality by comparison.
                                Then for my question: Regarding the 512 character message text limit, is this still applicable? According to the Pushover API docs the limit is 1024? When testing I am able to send messages up to 1024 characters from the Pushover web interface, so that seems to confirm that this is the current limit..
                                So maybe the maximum limit has been changed at some point?
                                If that is the case, would it be possible to update the plugin to accept up to 1024 characters? I have some HS notifications that contain quite a lot of information and I am bumping up against the 512 c limit and need to split the notifications, which makes them less readable and understandable.

Comment

Working...
                                X