grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grouping

Just turned on grouping under device management. You would think that the root node of my kwikset zwave lock would be grouped with the child devices but it isn't. How does homeseer determine groups?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

It is suppose to be - was it created in a fairly early version of the plug-in? If you do not reference it in too many events, can you delete the child devices and do a rescan on the root so that they are re-created? I suspect that will fix it - if it does not, then I have no idea why that is happening because the plug-in definitely creates the devices to create that relationship as you would expect.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I can certainly try that however, it's not just my kwikset lock. Every device and zone in the DSC plugin is in it's own group, this is true for BLmediaplayer, every light switch, ultraweatherbug3, and every lamp module.

Is grouping something that HS3 determines when the devices are created or do the plugin programers handle this in their code somehow?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
        I can certainly try that however, it's not just my kwikset lock. Every device and zone in the DSC plugin is in it's own group, this is true for BLmediaplayer, every light switch, ultraweatherbug3, and every lamp module.

Is grouping something that HS3 determines when the devices are created or do the plugin programers handle this in their code somehow?
        The root/child relationship was used only by us in HS2 - it is a new concept to many in HS3. I will make sure the DSC plug-in gets fixed, but Blade will have to fix his - I think he knows how to set them up properly.
        Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

my root devices for my locks and thermostats are all outside of their grouped items. and these were all set up about 6 weeks ago.
          HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Same for RFXCOM.
            It would be nice to acces "grouping", as a property of devices.

JMJ09

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
              The root/child relationship was used only by us in HS2 - it is a new concept to many in HS3. I will make sure the DSC plug-in gets fixed, but Blade will have to fix his - I think he knows how to set them up properly.
              Nope, grouping doesn't work very well! Specially with blades plugin's. None of my blades plugin's group and I trust he has it in hand.

I come from a C&I back ground. As this software really been developed with a professional approach?? i.e Function Design Specification (FDS) and Software System Specification (SSS)...

John.

Comment

I am aware of the parent child relationship but in my plugins, the devices are really not related to each other.
                Cheers,
                Bob
                Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Speaking as someone who fought with the grouping until I managed to get it right (and I still don't know exactly how I did it) I think it could do with a little more advertising and explaining. I am sure (this is how confused I got with it, I don't even know what I did in the end) that I set them up dv.AssociatedDevice_Add adding all of the child devices and then setting the relationships up as child/parent. The device class page in the documentation does not talk about grouping (there are only a couple of entries if you search the help file for grouping) with the above commands only associating with each other so some people may not work out the correlation between association and grouping.

Comment

This is how I built the relationship between a parent (root) device and child devices (dvp is the parent device):

PHP Code:
                    dvp.AssociatedDevice_Add(hsref)
                    dv.AssociatedDevice_ClearAll(hs)
                    dv.AssociatedDevice_Add(hsdvp.Ref(hs))

dv.Relationship(hs) = Enums.eRelationship.Child
                    dvp
                    .Relationship(hs) = Enums.eRelationship.Parent_Root

hs
                    .SaveEventsDevices() 
                    This makes my plugin devices all grouped together in the Device Management page.
                    HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
                    68 Z-Wave Nodes, 174 Events, 326 Devices
                    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
                    Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
                    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

What happens to the associations when:
                      The Root is deleted
                      One of the children is deleted?

Does HS manage the associations or do you need to manually "adjust" them?

Thanks,
                      Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
                        What happens to the associations when:
                        The Root is deleted
                        One of the children is deleted?

Does HS manage the associations or do you need to manually "adjust" them?

Thanks,
                        Z
                        In HS3, when you delete a root node, it deletes all associated children.

In my plugins, the first thing it does on startup is make sure all child devices are present. If a user deletes one of my child nodes, my plugin rebuilds it and associates it with the parent.

You never have to worry about the associations after everything is built.
                        HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
                        68 Z-Wave Nodes, 174 Events, 326 Devices
                        UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
                        Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
                        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

That's what I thought. I already replace deleted devices automatically within HSevent, so children are handled by design. I would just need to rebuild all of the associations if I see the Root go away. What would be nice is a NO delete flag, or at least one that forced you to a specific location to do that.

BTW, Associations are a bit dangerous. I accidentally either associated the root twice, or tried to add a child twice and it totally trashed the HS database
                          Didn't Clear after Root creation is where I think it borked..

Thanks,
                          Z

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                            It is suppose to be - was it created in a fairly early version of the plug-in? If you do not reference it in too many events, can you delete the child devices and do a rescan on the root so that they are re-created? I suspect that will fix it - if it does not, then I have no idea why that is happening because the plug-in definitely creates the devices to create that relationship as you would expect.
                            Deleting the children of my lock and then rescanning the root node did result in all my lock devices being grouped together.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                              I am aware of the parent child relationship but in my plugins, the devices are really not related to each other.
                              It would make the interface look nicer if all the BLMediaPlayer devices were in a group.

Comment

Working...
                              X