To poll or not to poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To poll or not to poll

It was my understanding that polling of devices was best avoided. If a device supports instant status, polling is not needed. Additionally polling unnecessarily adds traffic to the network. I had added a number of devices with HS2, then made the transition to HS3. As I was adding new devices I noticed they were being added with a polling rate of 20 minutes and a random number of seconds. When I noticed this I went back and checked all of the prior devices I had added and all of them (imported under HS2 or HS3) had this same polling interval of 20 minutes and a random number of seconds. All of the devices except for the HSM100s were added with this polling rate. The HSM100s have a polling rate on the battery of 12 hours. The rest of the devices were mostly Jasco (GE) switches, dimmers and duplex outlets, 2Gig thermostats and Cooper dimmers.

My brother, also running HS3 looked and all of his devices had polling disabled. Almost all of his devices were added quite a while ago in a production HS2 environment, then imported to HS3.

So this leads to a couple of questions: 1) Why the difference between the two systems - is there a setting somewhere that would cause a polling interval to be added as new devices are imported? 2) What is the thinking on polling? Should devices be regularly polled? I see some value in this just to regularly verify the status of devices in case for some reason the instant update fails. Is it best to occasionally poll deices just for the sake of status integrity? I am assuming the random seconds value is an attempt to keep polling traffic spread throughout the day, rather than massively loading the network at regular intervals.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Your brother imported before we added the default polling interval in HS3 - that is the only reason there are differences.

Yes, polling is to be avoided where possible - in your system, the Cooper devices should not have a default polling interval - are they?

The rest, if they do not support instant status, should have the polling done.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
    X