HS2 to HS3 Positive Experience Overall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 to HS3 Positive Experience Overall

Having been an HSx user since the beginning, due to aging PC hardware I decided to make the leap to a new machine and HS3.

Thanks to a lot of advice here and a lot of research on this board, while it was not painless I'm there. Been running for about 2 weeks now.

The new machine is an Intel Atom diskless, fanless, low power unit. Has two serial ports and a bunch of USB. I have three serial devices so one of then is using a USB to Serial adapter.

The biggest challenges were my custom water monitoring scripts and a replacement for ACRF2. The scripts were an issue because of the new way HS3 handles devices. Wasn't a real big deal once I found some CAPI examples.

Of course, event processing is very different also. I'm still confused about some aspects of that.

Zwave pretty much took care of itself.

Blade's BLRF, BLRadar and BLSecurity are doing everything I needed from ACRF2. And I want to publicly acknowledge the outstanding support he provided while I was migrating.

I did a conversion on the old hardware so I could migrate slowly and fix things, but still have HS2 running production. Meanwhile I configured the new machine to run HS3 and get everything going. Once everything was pretty much running I shut down HS2, moved the water monitoring data files to the new machine, switched over the interfaces and spent about 8-10 hours getting everything properly configured and running.

I should say this is not an easy task, and it's certainly not one for the casual computer user. You have to figure a lot of things out, read a lot, ask a lot of questions and be able to understand the answers!

But I'm glad I did it. The new hardware is a dream. When I walk by the closet where it's at I used to hear it running from 5-10 feet away. Now I sometimes have to look in there a see the little blue light to be sure it's running!

Big thanks to all who helped me out. And most of you don't know who you are!
    Regards,
    Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+
Working...
X