Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Automation fits and starts - mostly success...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a really impressive thread - lots here that I want to do and I was looking at plugging a few DS18B20's into a custom Arduino based box in our plant room to measure boiler/solar/store/fresh-water temperatures. Having read this, I've ordered an OWServer box to play with.

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    The sensors I use are DS18B20, enclosed in a stainless steel sleeve, with about 3 feet of wire.
    How have you wired these up with the OWServer box? Do you use some sort of junction box or have you created your own?

I use the EDS OWServer for my temperature monitoring.
    What do you use to get the data from the OWServer box into HomeSeer?

Many thanks again for the really useful information.

Nicholas.

Comment

Originally posted by NAB View Post
      This is a really impressive thread - lots here that I want to do and I was looking at plugging a few DS18B20's into a custom Arduino based box in our plant room to measure boiler/solar/store/fresh-water temperatures. Having read this, I've ordered an OWServer box to play with.

How have you wired these up with the OWServer box? Do you use some sort of junction box or have you created your own?

What do you use to get the data from the OWServer box into HomeSeer?

Many thanks again for the really useful information.

Nicholas.
      Each OWServer has 3 RJ11 connectors. I built some RJ11 pigtails to go to screw terminal barrier strips under the server or RJ11 connectors on the ends of CAT6 runs. While there are only 3 wires required, I use a pair for power and a pair for data with common grounds to keep noise to a minimum.

I use Ultra Jones' Ultra1Wire3 plug-in for the servers.
      Attached Files
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        The Brultech will give you the granularity to chase down usage to a circuit level. Your best results will be to schedule high usage devices like water heater, hot tub, etc. Those devices can be turned off during the higher cost periods. The clothes dryer is a little more problematic because all you can do is suggest that loads be run after 9. If you try to control it, you may be in for some domestic disturbance
        Do you happen to know a dryer model with low energy usage? or tips on figuring it out. Its not easy finding info like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mwillis View Post
          Do you happen to know a dryer model with low energy usage? or tips on figuring it out. Its not easy finding info like that.
          Something like this: http://www.awebiz.com/albums/solar_c...yer2.sized.jpg

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            LOL. you know I am actually considering that. I am already looking to replace my water heater with a hybrid heat pump.

I am working on going 100% solar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mwillis View Post
              You can use Al's suggestion or the EnergyStar ratings on dryers. The problem with (electric) dryers is that they all have a 4-5 KW heating element and basically heat air and tumble the clothes until they are dry. Their energy usage is fairly similar from one model to the next. Our new LG has an energy saver mode that cycles the heating element off and on, using a longer total cycle time. It is supposed to cut about 10% from the total energy usage. After a month of usage, it uses about 95% of the energy the 20 year old Maytag used. The savings are nominal - at $0.12 per KWH an average load consumes just over 3 KWH or about $0.36, making our savings a whopping $0.02 per load.

A gas dryer costs less than an electric.

Comment

I know this thread is WAY old, but I was curious what weatherproof box you used for the GreenEye?

Thanks,
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by rauscs View Post
                  I know this thread is WAY old, but I was curious what weatherproof box you used for the GreenEye?

Thanks,
                  Steve
                  An Orbit sprinkler control box here.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X