Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Automation fits and starts - mostly success...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rauscs
    replied
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Originally posted by rauscs View Post
    I know this thread is WAY old, but I was curious what weatherproof box you used for the GreenEye?

Thanks,
    Steve
    An Orbit sprinkler control box here.

Leave a comment:

• rauscs
    replied
    I know this thread is WAY old, but I was curious what weatherproof box you used for the GreenEye?

Thanks,
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Originally posted by Mwillis View Post
    Do you happen to know a dryer model with low energy usage? or tips on figuring it out. Its not easy finding info like that.
    You can use Al's suggestion or the EnergyStar ratings on dryers. The problem with (electric) dryers is that they all have a 4-5 KW heating element and basically heat air and tumble the clothes until they are dry. Their energy usage is fairly similar from one model to the next. Our new LG has an energy saver mode that cycles the heating element off and on, using a longer total cycle time. It is supposed to cut about 10% from the total energy usage. After a month of usage, it uses about 95% of the energy the 20 year old Maytag used. The savings are nominal - at $0.12 per KWH an average load consumes just over 3 KWH or about $0.36, making our savings a whopping $0.02 per load.

A gas dryer costs less than an electric.

Leave a comment:

• Mwillis
    replied
    Originally posted by sparkman View Post
    LOL. you know I am actually considering that. I am already looking to replace my water heater with a hybrid heat pump.

I am working on going 100% solar.

Leave a comment:

• sparkman
    replied
    Do you happen to know a dryer model with low energy usage? or tips on figuring it out. Its not easy finding info like that.
    Something like this: http://www.awebiz.com/albums/solar_c...yer2.sized.jpg

Cheers
    Al

Leave a comment:

• Mwillis
    replied
    Originally posted by rprade View Post
    The Brultech will give you the granularity to chase down usage to a circuit level. Your best results will be to schedule high usage devices like water heater, hot tub, etc. Those devices can be turned off during the higher cost periods. The clothes dryer is a little more problematic because all you can do is suggest that loads be run after 9. If you try to control it, you may be in for some domestic disturbance

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Originally posted by NAB View Post
    This is a really impressive thread - lots here that I want to do and I was looking at plugging a few DS18B20's into a custom Arduino based box in our plant room to measure boiler/solar/store/fresh-water temperatures. Having read this, I've ordered an OWServer box to play with.

How have you wired these up with the OWServer box? Do you use some sort of junction box or have you created your own?

What do you use to get the data from the OWServer box into HomeSeer?

Many thanks again for the really useful information.

Nicholas.
    Each OWServer has 3 RJ11 connectors. I built some RJ11 pigtails to go to screw terminal barrier strips under the server or RJ11 connectors on the ends of CAT6 runs. While there are only 3 wires required, I use a pair for power and a pair for data with common grounds to keep noise to a minimum.

I use Ultra Jones' Ultra1Wire3 plug-in for the servers.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• NAB
    replied
    This is a really impressive thread - lots here that I want to do and I was looking at plugging a few DS18B20's into a custom Arduino based box in our plant room to measure boiler/solar/store/fresh-water temperatures. Having read this, I've ordered an OWServer box to play with.

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    The sensors I use are DS18B20, enclosed in a stainless steel sleeve, with about 3 feet of wire.
    How have you wired these up with the OWServer box? Do you use some sort of junction box or have you created your own?

I use the EDS OWServer for my temperature monitoring.
    What do you use to get the data from the OWServer box into HomeSeer?

Many thanks again for the really useful information.

Nicholas.

Leave a comment:

• ian351c
    replied
    I guess it depends on what you want to see and where you want to see it. Other than reporting whole house watts and whole house KWh, I don't send any data from my GEM to Homeseer. I have several nodes on my zWave network that report electricity usage, but I've never had much success with the Homeseer energy reporting (it never seems to show me numbers that make sense on a consistent basis).

I do all my electricity usage reporting and analysis in Emoncms. In fact, one of my near to mid term projects is to start getting electricity usage data out of Homeseer into Emoncms so I can go from whole house, to per circuit, to per load usage reporting.

Leave a comment:

• Mwillis
    replied
    I have a Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Home Energy Meter, 2nd Edition
    that's what I was using. I have it turned off for the moment. But I can turn it back on. It just reports the service entry and is connected into home seer energy info. I'm not to sure what the benefits are to keeping it, besides I already have it.

Leave a comment:

• ian351c
    replied
    As rprade says, not directly. That being said, I'm using btmon.py to get data from my GEM into Emoncms and then a little PHP script to get (a small amount of) data out of Emoncms and into Homeseer via their APIs. I use it to display my current watt usage and daily KWh usage in HSMetro.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    is there a way make the GEM send data to the energy information in homeseer?
    If you are referring to HomeSeer's built in energy charting, then no. You can pull up charts in UltraECM or use Jon00's or Shill's Device History graphing programs.

I know there was discussion late in 2014 or early in 2015 about providing this functionality, but it sort of died quietly.

Leave a comment:

• Mwillis
    replied
    is there a way make the GEM send data to the energy information in homeseer?

Leave a comment:

• Mwillis
    replied
    I have set up the first CT. I am also getting a reading in live status.
    I am going through the ultraedm manual. and I think I am getting somewhere...

do you have it in server mode on the GEM
    and client in ultraedm

your have an address set as 0.0.0.0:8000 in devices in elraedm?
    I got it... it was the damn windows firewall blocking the port

Leave a comment:

Working...
X