Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Processing ASP.NET page: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processing ASP.NET page: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

I am receiving this error message in the HS3 log regularly. Sometimes at startup, always at least several times per day. Often 2 or 3 together (same time stamp).

When this occurs during startup it will occasionally (maybe 30%) take the HS3 web server down.

I use HS3 as an active web server, but this does not appear to be attributable to any particular ASPX page. I have all of my ASPX pages with TRY/CATCH/WRITELOG but have not seen messages from there.

An example of the full log entry is:

Jul-22 5:50:26 PM Error Processing ASP.NET page: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    Jul-22 5:50:26 PM Error Processing ASP.NET page: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Currently this is more of a nuisance / curiosity but I'm concerned that it will become a real problem as I continue to expand the scope of HS3.

Any ideas,

Rick

Win 7 (Under Parallels 9.0.24237 on OSX 10.9.4)
    HS3 3.0.0.96
    HSTouch 3.042
    Insteon 3.0.4.8
    UltraM1G3 3.0.5170.40552

HS Servers Handling of ASPX Requests

I get this error a few times a day. I have 3 tablets(wifi connected) that each reload the same ASPX page on the HS Server every 5 seconds. Since the tablets are not synchronized occasionally these requests occur simultaneously at the HS Server and it gets confused. This does not seem to cause me problems since a tablet might not get a reload during the error , it will get one 5 seconds later and all is forgiven. Anyway that's my best guess!

BobSpen

Comment

I think we're on the same page -- pointing at a problem HS3's web server code. Looks like simultaneous calls to the same ASPX page causes the error. I've taken similar steps to work around the problem, but it just seems like there's an issue somewhere.

Comment

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing These type errors:
        Jun-07 11:16:43 PM Error Processing ASP.NET page: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
        Jun-07 11:16:43 PM Error Processing ASP.NET page: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
        I get thousands of these filling my LOG file and when they start I get 40-60 /second for many minutes. I am assuming that this occurs when more than one remote tablet request the same web-page (.aspx page) and the HS web-server can't handle it?

I'd appreciate any help from anyone who knows how these http requests are handled by the tablets when there is an error and could I stop(for a short time) the re-requests when there is an error so things might recover and get back to normal. I do not suspect that HS staff would be interested in a more robust ASP.net server software(if that is indeed the problem).

Comment

I’ve found a way to almost eliminate these errors. Use a script to build the HTML and update a device string. Do that as often as needed. Use ASP (not ASPX...way too clunky) to return the device string.

The problem is with ASPX and linkages to HS. It’s a miracle that is works at all.

Comment

madmello,
            Please elaborate on what you mean.
            I must use .ASPX pages, as it is the method I use to get my Javascript application(on the tablets) the ability to communicate with Homseer devices (thru a Visual Basic routine that runs on the .ASPX page.

Comment

Sorry for delay. I’m RVing.

I run 2 “monitor” PCs in my house. Each runs Firefox at startup as an HTML page which contains a Java script. Script triggers an ASP page which returns cookies to define configuration. Script then triggers another ASP every second which returns HTML for time/date and house status (alarm, Door, etc.) and more cookies. Script also triggers ASP for weather when needed, and displays camera feeds (via iSpy).

All of the ASPs return either HTML from device strings, time/date or basic device values as cookies. There are several VB scripts which generate the HTML and set device values.

It’s taken time to get here, but I’ve all but eliminated the ASP.NET errors. Hope me this helps.

Comment

Madmellow,
                What I think I observe, with .ASPX pages(simultaneously running on 4 Win10 tablets), is that when two or more tablets request an .ASPX page AT THE SAME TIME, the server confuses the requests and throws the MANY ASP.Net errors(usually "index out of range" but others occasionally). I have a lot of code to attempt to separate the requests so they don't hit the server at the same time and have pretty much eliminated the problem.

I don't understand how your "cookie" method works to communicate from JavaScript to HomeSeer. If possible can you post example code?

Comment

I use cookies from HS to my monitors. I use either HTML (?param=value) or JSON to update HS.

Comment

Working...
                  X