Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is difference in this device value trigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is difference in this device value trigger?

Probably posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find easily.

What is the difference between the "IF A Device's value is" event triggers:

- This device has a value that just changed
    - This device just had its value set or changed

Seems like they are the same, no?

-BD

In the HS2 Help file there is some explanation.

• Equal To, Not Equal To - The event will trigger if the device's value becomes equal to or not equal to the value listed in the Value field.
    • Greater Than, Less Than - The event will trigger if the device's value becomes greater than or less than the value listed in the Value field.
    • Any Value - The event will trigger when the device's value changes to any new value.
    • Set To - The event will trigger when the device's value is set to the value listed in the Value field, regardless of whether the device was already at that value or not.
    • Set To Any - The event will trigger when the device's value is set to any value, even if it was already at that value. For example, if you have a device that holds the current temperature, and an event that reads the temperature and updates the value, it might already be at a value of 70 when the event sets the value to 70. Using this trigger, the event will be run. Using the "Any Value" option above, the event would not trigger because it was already at 70 when the event set it to 70.
    • In the Range - The event will trigger when the device's value falls within the range specified in the Value field. For the range, type the value as <first number>...<second number>, such as 100...200.
    So 'Changed to' requires the value to change. 'Set to' will trigger if something caused the value to be set, even if the value does not change.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

OK, I'll take that! Thank you!

I was about to blast you that this was an HS3 forum, but then I remembered it ain't your first rodeo, so maybe I should read what you wrote first!

-BD

Comment

Originally posted by BrunDog View Post
        I was about to blast you that this was an HS3 forum, but then I remembered it ain't your first rodeo, so maybe I should read what you wrote first!
        Thanks for the benefit of the doubt. I posted the HS2 help info because I couldn't find any detail in the HS3 Help file.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Ya, tried that. And I just couldn't believe it was incomplete!!

-BD

Comment

I know it's an old thread - but I just realised the difference (hard way) - I was using "This device just had its value set or changed" - and noticed high CPU usage, so started troubleshooting and found that the event was constantly triggerring!

So the option "This device has a value that just changed" is much safer. Don't know why the "This device just had its value set or changed" even exusts?

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
              So the option "This device has a value that just changed" is much safer. Don't know why the "This device just had its value set or changed" even exusts?
              Here's a use case for you... so I have some HS z-wave light switches. If I double tap up on a switch, all of the lights in the room go on. I can double tap down on another switch and they all go off. If I use switch A to turn on the lights and then switch B to turn off the lights, then switch A's last scene is "double tap up." If I go double tap it again the scene does not change, but it was set. If I am using "value just changed" for my event, HS3 will ignore the next double tap up. I need to have "set or changed" to be able to receive the trigger.

Comment

I know it's an old thread - but I just realised the difference (hard way) - I was using "This device just had its value set or changed" - and noticed high CPU usage, so started troubleshooting and found that the event was constantly triggerring!

Let me see if I can help you understand.Click image for larger version  Name:	capture.png Views:	1 Size:	16.5 KB ID:	1259433
                • This device changes and becomes...
                  • This one requires the device to change and become a specific value.
                • This device has been/for at least...
                  • This one requires a device to be at a specific value and has not changed for a minimum period of time. The value may not be changed. Changing the device value will reset the timer. Setting this device may also restart the timer, even though the value does not change. This can be affected by the advanced device setting "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:"
                • This device has been/for exactly...
                  • This one requires a device to be at a specific value and has not changed for a specific (exact) period of time. The value may not be changed. Changing the device value will reset the timer. Setting this device may also restart the timer, even though the value does not change. This can be affected by the advanced device setting "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:"
                • This device had its value set and is not equal to...
                  • This requires that a device be set to other than a specific value. The value does not need to change.
                • This device had its value set and is greater than...
                  • This requires that a device be set to a value that is greater than a specific value. The value does not need to change.
                • This device had its value set and is less than...
                  • This requires that a device be set to a value that is less than a specific value. The value does not need to change.
                • This device has a value that just changed...
                  • This requires that a device had its value changed from a value to any other value. The value must be changed
                • This device had its value set to...
                  • This requires that a device had its value set to a specific value. The value does not need to be changed.
                • This device just had its value set or changed...
                  • This will trigger any time the device is set. When a device is changed it is also always set, so the description just clarifies that if anything is done to this device, the Trigger is true.
                So, as you can see "This device just had its value set or changed... " is a unique trigger.

Using what Michael posted above, when a device's value is "set" - "The event will trigger when the device's value is set to the value listed in the Value field, regardless of whether the device was already at that value or not". The last Trigger is true if the value is set to anything, whether it changes or not.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  The last Trigger is true if the value is set to anything, whether it changes or not.
                  is there a difference with this ?

Attached Files

Comment

and are those two the same ?

Seems redundant to me?

Attached Files

Comment

No Matt, the "Device has value set" is different to "Device value changed" - it triggers even if the device value didn't change, I had this before - it keeps triggering, took me awhile to find why. Not sure what's the purpose of "Device has value set" though.

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                        and are those two the same ? Seems redundant to me?
                        I agree. They look to be equivalent.

Comment

Not sure what's the purpose of "Device has value set" though.
                          I use triggers like this to initiate an event from a button or switch action. For instance, in the morning there is a TTS weather summary that runs when the light is turned on. If I want to hear it again, I just press the on button again, even if the light is already on, the announcement will run again.

Comment

Another use for "Set" vs "Change":

Suppose you have a light switch that when turned on, also turns on another light elsewhere.

If your trigger was "change", then you would have to first turn off the light switch, and then turn it back on in order to get that second light to turn on.

When your trigger is "Set or Change", then all you would have to do is turn the light switch on again (even if already on).

Yes, I know you can do this in other ways such as association, but it does show the difference in having a Set vs Change.

Comment

Not sure what's the purpose of "Device has value set" though.
                              Alex-

I think one of the biggest differences in why you would choose SET vs CHANGED depends on the device that is sending the trigger. If that device is a sensor then it could constantly be sending the same status to HS3. In this case, SET would be rather annoying and chew up processing power. In the case of a sensor, CHANGED usually makes more sense than SET. However, if the triggering device is a button or switch then SET may very likely be the desired trigger. If you ran a switch or button as CHANGED then any secondary presses would essentially be disabled by the first press.

I gave an example of using multiple light switches above. Here is another example. As the night goes on, my desired light level gets lower. I want my lights to be dimmer right before bed. If I hit the switch to ON, then HS3 ramps up to my desired nightly dim setting. If I hit it again, HS3 will raise the brightness of my light to full brightness. In the both steps, the switch sends the same status. If HS3 only triggered on CHANGED then my lights would not go to full bright without a secondary method of commanding them.

Comment

Working...
                              X